Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
How to prevent callous?

daws

Jun 12, 2003, 1:44 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1294 views)
Shortcut
How to prevent callous? Can't Post

Hi Everyone,
I have a weimaraner which is lovely in all aspect except that the skin on the joints of his front legs, where he sits down, are being calloused by sitting on the cement floor. Question : is there any way to reduce the callousness or even to prevent it? Any Advice from any dog lovers here is very very much appreciated. thanks.

kaerb

Jun 12, 2003, 7:56 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daws] How to prevent callous? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,
I also wondering about this and would like more information reagarding this matter...My dogs have callous on their joints as well, it's dry and cracking and I think it's kinda painful, donno lar I think only lar. Anyway...we did try putting vitamin E on that part and it seems to get better but must seriously like apply like 2 times a day. Then we got lazy and stopped so now the thing is back. we also tried putting small mats on the floor and in their cage so they can sleep at least on a soft surface. I think that helped lar..but didn't like heal the callous.
Anyway..anyone else got same thing?

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jun 13, 2003, 7:30 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

This is one serious problem for most short coat dog. As I am showing some of my dogs, I am in particular very concern about callous. Well, the only way to prevent it or reduce the chances of developing callous is to let your dog sleep and rest on soft surface and in this way, the pressure exerted on that area at the joint will be less.

For dog that has developed callous, you may want to apply olive oil on the surface regularly to soften the area and chances that coat may grow back again. But it require a long treatment time before you see any result. There are also some commercial products that design specifically to treat callous.

Hope the above help.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jun 14, 2003, 10:27 PM)

daws

Jun 13, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] How to prevent callous? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks mr webmaster for your suggestion. i'll give it a try and see. it would be quite hard since the weimaraner is very active and energetic dog. meebe some pads at the area will help?? hahha thanks.

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 14, 2003, 4:35 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Hey there, you hv a Weimaraner Smile i love this breed...can't wait to see your furkid this Sunday....olive oil is good...once my dog's paw pad was cracked and it was really red i applied olive oil too and it healed up in no time.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 14, 2003, 6:21 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1249 views)
Shortcut

My dog has that too and what I did was ... apply some Savlon antiseptic cream and massage on it. It really works and the hair is growing again....

regards,
Swee Eng

daws

Jun 18, 2003, 12:07 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] How to prevent callous? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks ginl and sweeeng for your suggestions. will try them

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my