Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Bitting and licking problem

sh_25
Novice

Jun 6, 2008, 6:47 PM

Post #1 of 14 (11989 views)
Shortcut
Bitting and licking problem Can't Post

Hi everyone. I'm having some problem with my puppy, an english cocker. He's now around 4 month plus. He likes to lick my whole face and ear whenever he's near me and when i tried to stop him, he will turn around and snap at my face or hand. Other time, when we play together he will also turn around to bite my hand, even I give him toys to bite, he will still bite my hand . When I tried to punish him, he will run around the house and sometimes will growl and bark at me..Crazy But with my husband, when he want to bite him or lick his whole face, my husband will said no and he dare not try many times. Please advise..Thx

harky
Novice

Jun 11, 2008, 8:42 AM

Post #2 of 14 (11886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sh_25] Bitting and licking problem [In reply to] Can't Post

to what i know.. when a dog lick u mean he side u , love u.. if he dont love u he wont lick u liao..

maybe u can try to say no to him using a firece voice

sh_25
Novice

Jun 28, 2008, 9:48 PM

Post #3 of 14 (11781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [harky] Bitting and licking problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Harky,

Thanks for replying. Yeah, i sure hope he loves me coz i love him very much hehe..Cool

NOw my puppy has acquire a new habit of chewing my home furniture. Unsure I found out tat he chews part of my kitchen cabinet door (around the edge part) as I usually leave him in the kitchen area with the door close when I go to work. One day, i forgot lock the sliding door, my little furkit really have a party time in my living which leave my coffee table with a part bit off n my sofa set with the a big hole in it Frown. I bought him lots of toys but he lose interest in them after some time.

Now my husband is really getting impatient to him. I really don't wan to part with him la..but if he really gets worse, haiz...i cannot think of this. So pls any advice to stop him from chewing when we're not with him. Desperately needing help..!!

harky
Novice

Jun 28, 2008, 10:54 PM

Post #4 of 14 (11778 views)
Shortcut

i think he teeth is growing tht is y he chew here & there (his baby teeth itcy) u can get him some chewing toy for him..and try to maintain his walking area in one area... until he is bigger.. and scold him also will do..

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 30, 2008, 5:47 PM

Post #5 of 14 (11736 views)
Shortcut

Your puppy is like a baby.. Do you give away/sell off your baby if they start to chew things? Babies too put anything they can reach into their mouths and chew.. My friend's baby onli chew the cold chew toy. Once not cold she'll change to another cold one for him. This is what your furkid is going through. That toy is no longer interesting to it so it turns to your furniture.

When your baby turns 3 you send to pre-school. This is exactly what you should be doing. After your furkid's 3rd vaccine you can start sending it for training. I have a personal recomendation for you to this lady cheng see 012-2584315. She's a good trainer and also a dog behviorist so she can help with behavior problems.. And also do subscribe to her newsletters. She has a good aritcle on this issue. www .dogs world . net no spaces in between. Lastly to quote someone's article;

Remember¡K..If you have to say it in a sentence, your dog will never get it because dogs do not use the same language we do.

So training will help you a lot in understanding your dog and how to make your dog understand you. Let me know if you have any other queries..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

sh_25
Novice

Jul 1, 2008, 6:56 PM

Post #6 of 14 (11688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Bitting and licking problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi acsyen,

Yeah, I agree with u that I should send him to attend the training. If it will help us understand each other better, then it's certainly worth it la. Sometimes when i scold him when he did something naughty, he got this look like "hey, wat r u talking about" Crazy And sometimes, when i said no to him, he wouldn't listen, I will have to say a few time no, then only he will stop. Regarding the trainer that u mention, is she in Penang area ar? If not, can u recommend one in Penang? Thanks

sh_25
Novice

Jul 1, 2008, 7:04 PM

Post #7 of 14 (11687 views)
Shortcut

Hi harky,

My furkid is changing tooth now so i understand that's he itchy la..So is the situation going to stop soon or will continue to a few months li? If still continue, then i will have to buy more toys for him to chew lor, hehe, if not, finish la my kitchen cabinet. So do u put ur furkid in cage or do u let him roam freely in ur house li? I wouldn't wan to cage him but only as a last resort.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 1, 2008, 8:45 PM

Post #8 of 14 (11684 views)
Shortcut

oh... sorry i didn't know you are from penang. Penang is good my hometown. And I also have a trainer in Penang. A old time sifu to dogs training n behavior. You can call him Max 016-4717038. He will teach a lot on understanding your furkid. If you are interested in going for OBedience competitions in future then he's the right person to help you out. His dogs wins a lot. Next weekend there're some trials in Penang you can go see see le..

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jul 1, 2008, 9:07 PM

Post #9 of 14 (11677 views)
Shortcut

sorry ah..i want to hijack the thread sekejap ..Yen, its true when ppl say, adult dog is obedient. Basco turning 2years next mth...last nite I came home...and they (cats and dogs) were outside in compound playing.

I was standing outside the gate and ask him to get Marianne who was in the Kitchen cooking ( he he...ask her to side park my car..ler)..I said..Basco, where is Marianne, get her ...find it! -anyway, he understood the command find it (as we always play hide and seek)

He actually run to the Kitchen and alerted Marianne to come out...ha ha ha..i was amazed man...anyway, I am veli proud of him ...

Btw, see you this Sunday at Central Park...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 1, 2008, 10:04 PM

Post #10 of 14 (11675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Bitting and licking problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes adult ones very good le.. Esp those picked from roadside. Look at my Chocolate such a nice dog.. Anyway see you on Sunday too.. Take it as a chill out time for you and Pluto.. And dun forget my furminator ya.. Now quite a few orders from my frens n i pengsan already cos supplier not replying. Sourcing for another now..

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jul 1, 2008, 10:24 PM

Post #11 of 14 (11669 views)
Shortcut

No problem. Will bring along...c u ..

harky
Novice

Jul 1, 2008, 11:37 PM

Post #12 of 14 (11652 views)
Shortcut

dont think it able to stop him as he could be either tooth itchy or he is too boring but it better to teach him when he is still young... the best u can give him more toy (those chewing toy) and scold him when he chew ur cabinet etc..everytime.. must have a hard heart le if u have a soft heart next time when grow older u will have a hard time to train him..

now my dog already 1yr plus old ... i did not cage him i let him out to walk around the house as he know where to pee poo.. but when he is around 3-5 mth i do cage him.. (playpen him becos i need to train him where to pee & poo) last time when my dog is still a puppy he go chew my chair (than my mom scold him) than when he grow bigger sometime will notice he still chewing @ that chair than my mon cane him (haha) now never see him chew liao.. (he like to chew, so i bought some chewing cloth & hard chew toy for him)

btw my is male JRT

In Reply To
Hi harky,

My furkid is changing tooth now so i understand that's he itchy la..So is the situation going to stop soon or will continue to a few months li? If still continue, then i will have to buy more toys for him to chew lor, hehe, if not, finish la my kitchen cabinet. So do u put ur furkid in cage or do u let him roam freely in ur house li? I wouldn't wan to cage him but only as a last resort.

sh_25
Novice

Jul 3, 2008, 1:11 AM

Post #13 of 14 (11608 views)
Shortcut

Hi harky,

Oh, it's that the photo of ur furkid? He looks very obedient lor. U got send him for obedient training? We're planning to take him for training liao as we are first time dog owner so a bit hard to train him lor...and must be becoz we pamper him too much at first haha. When we first brought him home, we did cage him for a while la. But he really dun like to stay in cage n keep barking. We stay in apartment so scared neighbour will complain so that's way after toilet train him, we no longer cage him.

As for biting my cabinet, it's very hard to catch him in the act coz when we at home, he will stay with us in the living room. The biting only start when we're not at home..guess must buy him lots of chew toys la. Problem is scared he wil only play for awhile then not interested to play liao as he had shown for some of the toys. Sometimes we catch him biting our sofa, when we wan to punish him, alamak he will run behind the sofa n play hide n seek with us lor. We wan to catch him but very hard coz the coffee table is beside the sofa, so we can see his face out to check the situation..(sometimes very funny, but oso very geram lor)Pirate

harky
Novice

Jul 3, 2008, 8:58 AM

Post #14 of 14 (11601 views)
Shortcut

ya tht my baby in that pic.. he is very NAUGHT one !! haha ... i nv send him to obedient training (to costly for me le) i also 1st time owner .. maybe i had my mom @ home so he at least wont feel boring but i notice he afraid to be alone when we r out..

Same here na.. when i want to cane him he will run here & there and hide.. when he come out i will still cane him.. if nt next time he will go hide & think tht you wont scold him..

U can try to get those anti-chew Spray but i m not sure isit work a nt.. hehe

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my