GSD cage suggestion

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 4, 2008, 8:42 PM

Post #1 of 134 (7676 views)
Shortcut
GSD cage suggestion Can't Post

currently i jus bought home a 7 weeks old GSD puppy..she will live outdoor once she reaches enough age n i dun haf space to build a kennel for her..most probably will jus use a big wire cage for outside nex time...for the time being also i dun wanna waste money on buying small cages n change to big nex time..

but the problem is i cant find a big cage for her..im looking for some at least 4ftx4ft for her..maximum can find is around 3ftx2.5ft oni..any idea wher i can find such a big cage in kl or pj??n 1 question is 4ftx4ft will it be able for a comfort home for a fully grown GSD?i dun wan her to squeeze inside a small house n haf bones problem nex time

of course i hope i can build a solid kennel outside my house for her but cant find a suitable place to build it..so considering wire cage is easier to move around

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 4, 2008, 11:52 PM

Post #2 of 134 (7664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicholaskong] GSD cage suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

hello, my suggestion is that you go custom make one dog cage for her and with wheels underneath, 4ftx4ft may be too small..hahaa..i am no expert, but i own a GSD too..and if you confine your dog too much, its not good..as they need a lot of exercise and space to move around to be healthy...as u know, these large breeds are very prone to having hip and elbow problems, so u may want to be very very carefull with this.. just my two cents..ahah
joe

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 5, 2008, 12:37 AM

Post #3 of 134 (7659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leeeejoe] GSD cage suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

any suggestion from where can get custom made cage??i dun wanna confine her also when she's adult..how do u guys actually house the GSD??isit let them free outside??i cant let her outside for now cuz she's still small puppy ma..scared people might steal her also..any size of cage tat is advisable for GSD?or nex time i jus tie her with dog leash outside with long leash for they haf plenty space to move around??

kelwts
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2008, 5:49 AM

Post #4 of 134 (7651 views)
Shortcut

Hi ! You can get some rather large cages at the ENEOS pet shop in One Utama Shopping complex . I do have a used custom made one that is made of galvanised steel .. Size 5 ' x 3 ' and can be extended to 6' x 3 ' . Let me know if interested.

Regards
kelwts

junior81

Jun 5, 2008, 8:14 AM

Post #5 of 134 (7646 views)
Shortcut

well

i own a 4 monhts plus rottweiller

when i purchasing him while he is still a puppy, i buy a big cage for him.

i only cage him inside at nite when he is puppy, then morning i let him free around outside my house.

after full injection, i dun cage him anymore. and the cage that i bought, my terrier dog like to sleep inside..cuz it is big.

meanwhile the rottie dog dun like to caged, i only cage him a while when got visitor or tie him a while to the door when got visitor. he is ok with that..he let me tie...

they dun like to be caged cuz they cant move around...they rather hide under my car....

very seldom ppl cage big dog and working dog often.....this will spoil them and their bone when they are in growing stage.

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2008, 8:12 PM

Post #6 of 134 (7623 views)
Shortcut

yeah...i think letting her free WITH supervision during the day and maybe caging her up at night would be a good idea, else, u may wanna just get a bigger cage, i think you can get them custom made at those shops making steel???not too sure...both my dogs run freely at home, and not allowed indoors at all, a fenced yard and they're pretty happy, just that the GSD needs to be walked. I used to crate my GSD quite a bit when he was a puppy to toilet train him, and...during that period of time, i saw him having some discomfort walking everytime coming out of the cage, but now...he seems to be okay after running freely for a few months...
joe

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2008, 8:13 PM

Post #7 of 134 (7621 views)
Shortcut

just to add, they grow big pretty quick..so dont buy a small cage to save, else u'll be buying cages again and again...
joe

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 5, 2008, 9:47 PM

Post #8 of 134 (7615 views)
Shortcut

now she's still too small to let freely outside the house i think..mayb i cage her until 4 months when she looks fierce enough i'll take her out...somore my neighbour is having renovations n very noisy on hackings n it scares my puppy..tat day i let her out she's so scared of the sound..

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2008, 11:00 PM

Post #9 of 134 (7608 views)
Shortcut

hi Nicholas,

that may be a good idea, but get her a bigger cage, and try to let her free whenever u have time, that should do the trick, how old is she??where are u located if u dont mind???
joe

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 5, 2008, 11:38 PM

Post #10 of 134 (7606 views)
Shortcut

i got her a 3.5ft cage for now..its still ok for her now..tats the biggest i can find now..shes jus 7 weeks now..i stayed at kota damansara..she really dont like to be caged..she bark the whole day whole nite when she's caged..omg..n she wan to sleep oni when im bside her..even i freed her she cant see me when she sleep she will bark..at nite beh tahan ler..worried neighbour complain

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 5, 2008, 11:46 PM

Post #11 of 134 (7603 views)
Shortcut

n now i bring her out everytime after her meal to exercise n let her do her business..but she never did it outside...so i haf to lock her up to train her..either she did it inside her cage or outside

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2008, 11:47 PM

Post #12 of 134 (7601 views)
Shortcut

hahaha...chill la bro, it'll take sometime for her to get used to it...important thing is that...dont give her the idea that if she barks, u will come, else there will be no end to her barking...ahhaa...i live in kota kemuning, and my neighbours do not like dogs, but..ah well..mine's a semi-d and i'm allowed to have 2 dogs..but both my dogs are quite quiet actually...so no worries...takes a bit of patience to bring them up from puppy..ehheheheee
joe

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2008, 11:51 PM

Post #13 of 134 (7600 views)
Shortcut

whts ur msn??add me up on...

Muakzzz@H.0.T.M.a.1.L. dot c0m
joe

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 6, 2008, 1:58 AM

Post #14 of 134 (7592 views)
Shortcut

Hi Nicholas,

I agree with eejoe. Maybe you can try those steel shops. You will have to tell them what you want.
When my pup was young I used to let him have a fenced up area while his kennel was being built. Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 6, 2008, 4:52 AM

Post #15 of 134 (7573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] GSD cage suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

you build your kennel how big???

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 6, 2008, 5:27 AM

Post #16 of 134 (7569 views)
Shortcut

Friend, do not take your dog/puppy for a walk after a meal as your pup may get "bloat" even if it is not common with GSD, but why take the risk. You should always crate train your dog, it is also a form of obedience plus introducing it to a comfort zone the dog/pup can call it's own.

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 6, 2008, 11:04 PM

Post #17 of 134 (7536 views)
Shortcut

brother added u ady..but always not on??

leeeejoe
Dog Kichi

Jun 6, 2008, 11:24 PM

Post #18 of 134 (7533 views)
Shortcut

sorry mate, juz been abit bz lately with work..hahaa...but yeah, all the advises above, i've heard countless times, and definitely prevention is better than cure, and there are so many things to learn to owning a dog..ahhahahahaa...everyday is a new adventure with ur puppy...
joe

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 7, 2008, 3:20 AM

Post #19 of 134 (7527 views)
Shortcut

The kennel is 9 ft X 4-5ft. I cannot remember the exact dimensions. I also built it low (3.5 ft++) to minimize my dog jumping inside so he doesn't spoil his joints/legs.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 7, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #20 of 134 (7511 views)
Shortcut

its quite big..i dun haf so much space for such a big kennel..now actually i let her freely outside the house..she doesnt want to be caged..she keeps on barking n crying non stop from nite to morning..im worried my neighbour might complain to police..so i left her freely n she stop barking..i jus worried people might steal her oni if i left her freely outside..n she likes to be inside home so much..whenever i open the door she keep rush inside..i dun wan let her come in..dun wan be her habit..she should stay outdoor n look after my house nex timeSly

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 7, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #21 of 134 (7506 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Just like to suggest the largest dog crate you can get and a fan. Crate train your dog and you should be fine. Tell your neighbour you are crate training your dog and ask them cooperate with you for a fortnight or so. You will never succeed if you keep letting him out whenever it barks, just tell it off and ignore.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 7, 2008, 10:46 PM

Post #22 of 134 (7495 views)
Shortcut

Yea, I understand that . That's why i suggested building a smaller kennel using steel/metal. You can try what PSY suggested, I think it's a good idea. Right now, what you're doing is teaching the dog "how to get out". The pup will think that whenever she barks, her owner will come to open the door.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 8, 2008, 7:22 AM

Post #23 of 134 (7481 views)
Shortcut

i din open the door for her...but she really can bark non stop for hour n hour..y she wont get tired??i even took out her water so she get thirsty n quiet..but still same..shes barking like no tomorrow like im going to kill her...i jus ignore her but her barking can go for hours..very terrible...i get her toys n she jus ignore it when shes inside the cage..dun even bother to play...how long will tis stop???will she be barking for weeks oni get used to it???i dun wan my neighbours to curse meCrazy

junior81

Jun 8, 2008, 10:22 AM

Post #24 of 134 (7473 views)
Shortcut

any reasons that you like to cage your dog?

is it you scared that people will kidnap your dog?

hm...i really seldom cage my rottie dog when he is small...even morning when i go to work and no body at home....i let him freely outside with another jack russel...

for me, pee and poo inside the cage would be troublesome as you would need to clean the cage everyday...i let him poo at the corner of the house and i just clean it..better still....

and if i would like to reverse my car out. i just tie him near the wall....

as far as i know..not many people who has big dog would cage their dog...since the main purpose they feed big dog is to guard the property...so..wats for that you always cage....maybe u should let him familiar with your house...

now altot my rottie dog just 4 months plus, whenever i go out, he will just like a guard dog...sitting in front of the grill there...watching here and there

guess rottie and gsd have the same charasteritic..they are calm dog...they wont simply bark without reasons....maybe he is hungry? how much u feed him?

maybe he is not used to the environment?...or you can make a pillow for him to sleep...dogs like pillow/ comforter...

nicholaskong
Novice

Jun 8, 2008, 8:06 PM

Post #25 of 134 (7452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junior81] GSD cage suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

i dun like to cage her..i wan to let her freely outside my house also..im jus worried she might got stolen tats all..shes still a small puppy with no fierce look..somone might jus broke in n steal her..many people steal pedigrees nowadays..dont you aware of this matter to the society nowadays..people r jus non-educated n like to steal expensive stuff

n she barks because she wants my attention..whenever im beside her even she's caged she wont bark

im sad to c her inside cage also..but thanks to those thieves i haf no choice

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my