Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Anyone can give us advice??

miragirl
Novice

Jun 4, 2008, 1:10 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Anyone can give us advice?? Can't Post

Hi there! I'm a new member here and would like to seek for some advice on my puppy issue. My boyfriend and I just moved to a house that we rented in May. After we settle all the things in the house and we immediately bought a Golden Retriever puppy from the pet shop. Both of us love dog and we have been thinking to have a dog for quite some times. We thought this is a good time for us to keep a dog since we have rented a house of our own and not sharing with others.

At first, we thought it is easy to take care and train the dog after we have done research from the internet. But things went out of our control. Our puppy named Buddy only 5 months old, when he first came to the house he started to pee around. According to the vet he was doing marking. Buddy even poo in the house during his first night stay in so since then we keep him outside the house at the car porch. We only let him in and play when we are around. We really feel sorry for Buddy because we have to keep him outside the house alone. Every time we say good night to him and close the door, he will show us a sad and innocent face. We can see he feels very lonely and don't want to be alone but we have no choice because we don't know how to toilet train him and we also haven't bought a cage for him so we have to worry his safety at night too.

We didn't expect all these things would happen, these few days Buddy only want to eat when we feed him bit by bit, we think he wants us to accompany him when he is eating. Buddy's size is quite big even he is only 5 months, he is very cute and babyish, always want us to pamper and play with him. He loves to play a lot especially with his ball. My mum also noticed that Buddy looks happier and active when my boyfriend and I are around to accompany him. But the problem now is both of us have to work, we have no time to take care of him. I can't ask my mum to help me to do all these cleaning up things as she is staying with us for about 2 weeks only. Now my boyfriend got another job and will be outstation all the time, I don't know am I able to handle him or not when I'm alone in this house? We are thinking to give up on Buddy since he only stays with us for few days. We are kind of regret on our decision to keep a dog without thinking of all these consequences. We love Buddy and hope can take care of him but now we can see that Buddy really need someone can spend more time with him but for the time being we are unable to do it. It is so unfair for Buddy.

Anyone can give us some advice on what we should do to Buddy? We want him to grow up happily. Thanks.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jun 4, 2008, 2:06 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miragirl] Anyone can give us advice?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hai Mira,

I do not have big dogs, but 2 small breed and a medium breed. So, I can only share my experience on them.

However, I was told that big breeds do their business, once in the morning and once at night (maybe some big dogs owners can give you some advise). Suggest, u take Buddy out for walk during that time to do his business. In fact, before he sleeps. With that u can keep him indoor at night (since u feel bad about putting him outside)

As in my case, Basco (2 year old min. pin) do his business in the toilet and the other 2, wherever they like...I tried to let them out house compund in the morning to do their business and I clean-up after them. They are all in-door dogs. But, before they got use to this routine, it was all hard-work for me (poo and pee, anytime, anywhere) as it is not easy when they were puppies. And that's y, u need t o be patient in training Buddy as he is still a baby.....

I go to work by 7 a.m and home after 9 p.m. During that time, they are all indoors and sleep most of the time. When I'm back home, I will let them play in the compound. As they are small/medium breed, i take them out for walks only once a week...(as my work schedule is quite hectic, as well). As in GR case, I was told they need their walks daily or they will turn very destructive, cos, they cant channel their energy anywhere.

I donno, if u ask me, putting up for adoption is not a good idea. When U can find solution like giving simple commitment despite your busy schedule. Just for your info. my Rescuer friend just mentioned that recently there are many GR that she needs to re-home due to many reasons ..Its sad to see such phenomena of unwanted pedigrees....

As for the eating part. I think your Buddy just want to get your attention.Just leave it be, he will eat when he is hungry. Since your boyfriend is always outstation and u will be all alone. Dont u think, its good to have Buddy with u...for companion and protection? Think about it, with love comes responsibilty and sacrifice. I dont think Buddy will ever give you up as an owner for any reason..do the same thing for him. Dogs have feelings too.....

Just my 2 cent opinion....

(This post was edited by myzanordin on Jun 4, 2008, 2:14 AM)

Dcom
Novice

Jun 4, 2008, 3:31 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1545 views)
Shortcut

When Santa first came to live with me at about 2 months old, I was sleeping in a room with her watching over her so that I can bring her to the toilet whenever she came out from her crate. Whenever I missed, I will have to clean up immediately so that she doesn't stepped over the poo/pee.

During the day, I constantly kept an eye on her so that I can take her to the toilet when I saw her about to pee/poo. As she grows, I showed her the toilet, so that she knows that she has to go there to do her business.

It's easy for me because I stayed home and Santa is a small dog that stays indoor.

Visit Santa's blog at http://www.santa-ms.blogspot.com

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jun 5, 2008, 4:55 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Hi, just caught your posting, there maybe a number of things I am going to put that may be cold but do take a step back and think about it. In many ways "dog lovers" take care of their dog more than they do with their kids so try to avoid that, on the other end of the scale are "dog owners" these are the people who just feed their dogs and just a "hello" when they go in and out of the house, which is something to avoid too. My suggestion is be a "dog owner that loves dogs", to start off always make the dog fit into your enviroment and not the other end. Introduce your dog to a comfort zone, namely a crate, crate your puppy so that it can get use to the separation plus let it take note the best place is the crate. Let it out when you are home, takes it out for walks at regular times. Always take it to the same place to poo, like a specific corner of the house. You will need to clean the crate initially. Do not give up. Quality time to your puppy need not be a full hour everyday but can be ten minutes but do let it follow you around for a time when you are home. Have fun your problem will not last too long, just crate train your dog.

miragirl
Novice

Jun 5, 2008, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1480 views)
Shortcut

Hi all! Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Is there anyone can share their experiences with me on how to take care of a Golden Retriever puppy? How to train them? My Buddy is smart, I think on the 3rd day, he knows how to shake hand with us already, really a quick learner. By the way, is there anyone know is it ok to feed GR with biscuit, I mean the biscuit that we eat? Because my Buddy loves biscuit and now he seems like very choosy, he only eat more when we mix his food with dog biscuit, sometimes he even eat the biscuit and leave the food there Mad.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jun 5, 2008, 7:06 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Check-out the ingredients of the biscuit. Some ingredients are ok to human but fatal to dogs ie chocolate, raisin. Other stuffs that might give some allergic reaction to doggies are (still depending on breed ya)..wheat, oat, barley, etc, etc...especially those with sensitive skin..

Since Buddy loves other stuffs beside his biscuit y dont u cook chicken, beef, fish, lamb or vegetable for him. Mixed it with his bisuit. You may grill or steam it..no salt and oil added....forget about human biscuit. It doesnt give him any good...Shocked

As for vege can try broccoli, spinach, alfalfa....otherwise, you may surf the net and look for dog recipe. It has many types of dishes that can be prepared and healthy for dogs...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my