IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Collar Phobia

Anderson

May 19, 2008, 1:45 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3177 views)
Shortcut
Collar Phobia Can't Post

Yes, don't know why? everytime I put on the collar my doberman will not move and freeze himself on the same spot. With this problem how to walk my dogFrown
By the way, he's about 13 weeks old

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 21, 2008, 12:09 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Anderson] Collar Phobia [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm... perhaps u could try the reward method? put the collar on ur dog, get him used to wearing it around in the house, give him a good scratch behind the ears, play catch with him in the garden, give him treats, do things to assure him that good things follow after wearing the collar... once he's used to wearing the collar, then u can take the leash n walk him around the house, subsequently can proceed to walk outside... i'm no expert in this, just what i think may work... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 21, 2008, 5:28 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3106 views)
Shortcut

My puppy also like that when i put a collar on. You need to give your dog some time. Mine will run around like a mad dog then hide in a corner and will not come out. So we trick her with food and slowly encourage her to come out. She took a few days to get use to it. Dun take off the collar when he freezes let him get use to it slowly. And dun put a bell yet till they get use to the collar. You will face about the same problem when u use the leash. So take it slow alwayas use a lot of praise n reward when they take their first step and so on..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

zephyros
Canine Addict

May 21, 2008, 6:30 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3105 views)
Shortcut

it's normal don't worry. my pappy was the same when he got his first collar. he would stand there and not move. will whine and stuff. just give your pup time. u can encourage your dog to move by using food or toy. i'm a mean owner, so i just left the food pieces about 5 feet away. after staring and whining at the treats, he finally moved his heavy butt. he's ok now with collars and stuff. even put on his sun glasses now :D

Anderson

May 22, 2008, 5:44 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Frown Finally I managed to put on the collar on my dob! and i found out that the "culprit" is actually the chain itself as my dob is afraid of the sound of the chain. Knew it after I decided to give a try by putting on a nylon collar and with a lil' coaxing, managed to make him walk around. damage? its just a pcs of bone Frown.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 23, 2008, 2:34 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3063 views)
Shortcut

cool!!! u managed to find out wat's wrong!

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my