IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Commercial Dog Food Pls Read, Know what u are feeding your canine friends

lovedoggies
ALPHA

May 14, 2008, 3:47 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2355 views)
Shortcut
Commercial Dog Food Pls Read, Know what u are feeding your canine friends Can't Post

hi all,

i highly recommend you to read this site i am about to provide you.. i believe commercial dog food could have killed my dog.. he passed away 2 days ago.. could be of old age but could me otherwise, i will never know.

read the dangers of commercial pet food.. i found out about it a little too late..

i just started reading on this book called
"Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats"
http://www.amazon.com/...Health/dp/157954973X

commercial pet food are the one that's killing our canine friend... i believe they contribute strongly to kidney failure as we may be feeding bad food to our dog.. their kidney would have to work twice as hard...
(Kidney failure is the no 1 killer.. after reading what i am about to show you.. you'll know why)
just to quote some parts of the book

"Most people don't realize that terms like 'meat by-products' can actually mean poultry feather meal, connective tissue (gristle), leather meal (yes, leather, like used to make belts or shoes), fecal waste from poultry and other animals, and horse and cattle hair."
— Richard H. Pitcairn

"i have also been told that leftover donuts from the fast-food industry have been used as carbohydrates in pet food, as well as mouldy and rancid grains unacceptable for human consumption."
— Richard H. Pitcairn

"And dog food companies don't stop with pets, your dog is also eating euthanized animals from zoos, animal control and putrid, decaying road kill. All of these dead animals and other ghastly materials are processed until the portion left over for dog food production is a brown powder, which consists of ...25% fecal matter - yes, 25% animal ----!" Howard F. Lyman, Author

a good read since it may be hard to get your hand on the book, it explains the same what is inside a commercial petfood
http://www.api4animals.org/...php?p=359&more=1

"In March 2007, the most lethal pet food in history was the subject of the largest recall ever. Menu Foods recalled more than 100 brands including Iams, Eukanuba, Hill's Science Diet, Purina Mighty Dog, and many store brands including Wal-Mart's. Thousands of pets were sickened (the FDA received more than 17,000 reports) and an estimated 20% died from acute renal failure caused by the food."

this is the list of the pet foods that have been recalled,
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

it's scaring me how terrible commercial dog foods are.... how many pets die from it...
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/alpo.html

sorry to scare you friends but i'm sure you love your canine friends and want the best for them... as i want the best for them too

my best friend suffered terribly.. i dont want the same for your canine friends

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My pets~
http://www.geocities.com/cherrryspets/petz.htm

In Loving Memories,
Rex(10May08) & Benji(20Feb08)
http://cherryonacherrytree.multiply.com/photos/album/42/Pets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

potter

May 28, 2008, 11:22 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovedoggies] Commercial Dog Food Pls Read, Know what u are feeding your canine friends [In reply to] Can't Post

This is exactly what I have been preaching over the year to most of my Malaysian friends but I got laughed at Frown. I now feed my furkid on 100% homecook and he has never been better. Even the vet has nothing to pick on. People laugh at me for cooking for him and then freezing his food in batches but at least I don't have to worry about food poisoning and I know what I cook is what he gets and the money I spent is the nutrition that he'll get.

Unlike what the pet food companies and the vets that have been telling us that their ood is most nutrition balanced, it is getting old, a lot of bad info has been leaking out lately. If your worried about balancing nutrition, put some supplement in their food. It is perfectly fine to feed our furkid some yogurt, cottage cheese, boiled meat (so long there is no oil and no pork for small breeds please), boiled and choped bak choy, choy sum, chopped baby carrots, broccoli, 10% of carbohydrate such as rice/bread.

STAY AWAY from onions, chocolates, grapes, raisins, cabbages, some type of nuts (it was almond i think?), avocado, apple seeds, garlic and you can find a lot more foods to stay away from if you do a quick googling. I know in Dr Pitcairn's book, garlic was recommended but small dogs don't do well with garlic and they only need very very little like 1/4 of a clove of garlic so do some reading regarding garlic first and go from there. If your dog has liver/kidney problems, stay away from garlic...I know my yorkie's treats has like 1% of garlic in it, so I don't feed him garlic with his meal at all. Dr. Pitcairn's book while is very good for basic knowledge of homecooking, there are more new info currently. Do be careful of some old facts such as feeding grapes, raisins, garlic.

If your worried about their teeth, please know that feeding kibbles are not better for their teeth. it is like saying if you eat cookies every day, your teeth will be better coz it is dry food but compare the benefits of the teeth and their health by feeding them kibbles/canned. If you feed homecook, just brush their teeth once a day and give RAW bones such as chicken neck for small dogs and RAW bone marrow for their chewing pleasure. It will automatically clean their teeth.

Homecooking isn't as difficult as it sounds. You can do it once a month. Just freeze the food in batches and then take one portion out and thaw for a day's meal or one portion for every 3 days. I have a 4.5kg dog who eats 1 1/2 cup a day so I make 45 days worth of food to freeze each time.For me, it wasn't even a choice as mine doesn't like kibbles nor canned food not even the best that you can find out there. He turned his nose on canned Cannidae and Evangers and then throw up in the morning from yellow bile! With homecooking, I don't have that problem anymore. He eats voluntarily. Do some research on the nutrition before you start. I have a basic recipe that I will post here. Take a look maybe you may want to try it!

There are 3 steps to this recipe.

1) This is a portion for 20 pounds dog. Basic Diet is 12 ounce portion for a 20lb dog a day. So if your dog is let's say 10 pounds, you need to only feed 6 ounce per day. What you do is you follow the recipe
below, mix them up and if your dog is 10 pounds, just feed 6 ounce portion per day from there.

1 cup of cooked meat, fish or egg.
1 cup of grain, potato, pasta, bread, rice. If bread, push it in so that the portion is correct and does not contain only air.
1 cup cooked vegetables (can be broccoli, carrot, green peppers, try to rotate the vegetables and variety is important).NO ONION as it makes the dog's blood system goes haywire. Garlic is only good in very very small portion but lots of dog treats contains garlic powder so I stay away from it when I cook.
Do not feed too much on broccoli.Vegetables must be cooked and cut in to small pieces for easier digestion and to absorb more nutrition. Carrots can be fed raw if grated.
Even better to feed a bit of fruits such as small cuts of apples, bananas, strawberries etc. Avoid avocado, grapes.

Mix the above all up. You can freeze them in containers for daily portions. They are good for anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 weeks.

2) For added nutrients: add to the above 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil (or the best to use is canola oil or flex oil that contains lanolic acid) for every 12 ounce (basic diet). For 10 pounds dog,
you need a 6 ounce diet, that will mean half a teaspoon.

3) For the ingredients below, you mix them up and store in an air-tight container. Every time you feed your dog, add 1 teaspoon of the mixed supplement per 12 ounce of basic diet before serving.

In a container that could be stored, mix :
1 cup debittered brewers yeast
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup powdered kelp
2 cups powdered milk
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my