FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion

shiloh

Apr 25, 2008, 5:11 AM

Post #1 of 18 (6603 views)
Shortcut
Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion Can't Post

We have a lovely guard dog large, destructive, rough but very loving and protective to our children.

I'm looking for a suitable small breed puppy/dog to accompany two young children 7 & 5 years.

Kids are used to playing with a strong dog, so a sturdy little dog would be ideal.

What breed would be a good fit?
Good with children
Short haired / doesn't shed much
Barking - not too yappy
Healthy - not prone to many genetic problems
Not destructive
Intelligent
Easily toilet trained

I'm thinking of getting a pug or a bulldog, but both seem to be prone to genetic problems.

Any suggestions on the breed and contact of a reputable breeder?

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 25, 2008, 10:47 PM

Post #2 of 18 (6583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shiloh] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

one note to emphasize is that short haired dog shed more then long hair dog....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Ginger1710

May 5, 2008, 3:34 AM

Post #3 of 18 (6504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shiloh] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I think miniature schnauzers or shih tzus are okay with children.

What breed would be a good fit? - Miniature Schnauzer and Shih Tzu

Good with children - Both are okay, though the Shih Tzu is a little placid. MS is more active.

Short haired / doesn't shed much - both the dogs don't shed very much because they grow hair, not fur.

Barking - not too yappy : both dogs are quite quiet.

Healthy - not prone to many genetic problems - Shih Tzu I'm not sure, but MS is quite healthy compared to other dogs.

Not destructive - that depends on how you train it.

Intelligent - Shih Tzus are not as intelligent as Poodles, and neither is the MS.

Easily toilet trained - small dogs are harder to housebreak. So that also depends on you.

Hope you find the right dog! And I also hope this helps!Frown
Visit our website for dogs!
www.freewebs.com/bigpaws

shiloh

May 9, 2008, 3:16 AM

Post #4 of 18 (5702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ginger1710] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Ginger.

We are very taken by the pug.

We had a shih tzu before; he was stolen from us and we have kept away from other shih tzus because none can take the place of our Andy Lau.

I don't know much about MS but will do some research.

Thanks so much for sharing, and if you have any other information please let me know.

Cheers!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 9, 2008, 7:12 PM

Post #5 of 18 (5614 views)
Shortcut

hi shiloh,

noticed u mentioned u r taken by the pug... who wouldn't? PUGS r the best! of coz, i may be bias! Tongue

below are my opinions on a pug n ur criteria:

Good with children : yes
Short haired / doesn't shed much : short hair yes, but pugs shed A LOT
Barking - not too yappy : quiet
Healthy - not prone to many genetic problems : some pugs r prone to skin problem, need to take care of the face folds n big eyes
Not destructive : depends how u define destructive, i hv a rescued pug now n he likes to tear newspaper! but i dun call tat destructive la
Intelligent : erm, i reserve my comment on this, haha... but pugs r known as the clown in the dog world
Easily toilet trained : pugs could be stubborn at times so it takes more time to train them

if u still think that a PUG is wat u want, then pls consider adopting one instead of buying... yes, there are pugs available for adoption... let me know if u r interested n if u wan more info... cheers!

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

shiloh

May 9, 2008, 7:35 PM

Post #6 of 18 (5607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ai Ney

Thanks for the information and endorsing pugs.

What I mean by destructive: My dog Jackie has in the past bitten through the auto-gate wiring, dug up the piping to search for where the sound of water was coming from, rewired our telephone lines - bit through them, pulled down clothes from the clothes line and pulled down the clothes line, eaten the wipers and reverse sensors from cars, chewed through 2 kids bicyles, caught the fish in the pond, snacked on the terrapins. Punctured basketballs, footballs and eats any toys left outside. She has also eaten wooden garden furniture. She still tears our little garden apart when the mood takes her. But aside from these little quirks she is a wonderful dog, who fosters stray kittens. As long as she has lots of exercise, she doesn't get up to mischief.

Biting newspapers is the least part of the destructive behavior.

Toilet training and shedding could be a problem. After our last little dog was stolen, I'd like to keep the new one inside at all times.

How can I contact you about adopting a pug?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

May 9, 2008, 7:54 PM

Post #7 of 18 (5601 views)
Shortcut

haha ur destructive dog sounds so much like my fren's husky! i believe some dogs r destructive becoz they hv too much energy but no where to channel the energy to, like in my fren's husky's case...

i stay in a flat with my pug, now with 2 pugs, 1 is a rescue fr 2wks ago... i hv long gotten used to the shedding, just need to vacuum n vacuum lo... but the pug's hair will be everywhere in my flat, on furnitures, clothes, bed n sometimes in my drinking cup! if u foresee shedding to be a problem, then i would suggest u not to get a pug... short hair dogs shed more than long hair dogs, actually...

toilet training is not impossible, but it takes a bit more time, especially with adult pugs... once u've achieved that, the rest of the days with a pug will be superb! i'm speaking from experience as i myself took many mths to toilet train my pug, sookie...

yes, dogs, big or small, should be kept indoors, wat with so many dognapping cases these days...

after all the warning abt pugs' shedding, if u r still keen on a pug, bravo! haha... u can call me at 017.3386317... the rescue pug i hv is a 3 yr old black male, currently on medication for skin problem, will only put up for adoption once his skin gets better... i know of an adult female pug for adoption, she has dry eyes which need daily eyedrop, but she's with another rescuer...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Dcom
Novice

May 10, 2008, 8:04 AM

Post #8 of 18 (5524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not have much experience with dogs and Santa is my first. She's a miniature schnauzer and she's been with me for 16 months now. When she first came to stay with me she was just 10 weeks old. I find her easy to toilet-train, does not shed and rather intelligent.

She barks at some strangers and others not. I do not know what she looks at to determine who she wants to bark at. When she's excited, she barks.

She's not destructive at all because I have watched her from young. Yes, when young she chewed on the sofa, corners of TV cabinet and coffee table and shoes but I stopped her immediately when I caught her doing that. After some time she learned that she is not allowed to do that and now she only chews on her toys!!

The thing I like most is that she doesn't shed because I just can't stand dog's hair all over the house!! The only hair I see on the floor is human hair!!

She amazes me with her understanding of the human language. For example, when I give her a piece of carrot and instruct her to eat it on the towel (so that she doesn't mess up the floor), she'll take her food to where the towel is and eat it there!!

I find her good with kids. She loves to play with them and allows them to hold and touch her.

The above is just to share with you the little experience I have, so far, with a miniature schnauzer.

Visit Santa's blog at http://www.santa-ms.blogspot.com

shiloh

May 15, 2008, 8:27 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dcom] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Your dog is pretty amazing or you're very good at training her.

My problem is that I can't bring myself to discipline my dogs by being hard on them. I've taken my dog for training, and the trainer recommended that my husband take over because I couldn't be harsh to her.

The upside is that my dog is very protective and takes excellent care of me. The downside is that she only follows instructions if she wants to - I know that she understands but she has an independent spirit.

Interesting that your MS doesn't shed much. Do you take her to the groomer often or give her a special diet?

Thanks for sharing!

Dcom
Novice

May 15, 2008, 9:36 PM

Post #10 of 18 (4942 views)
Shortcut

As I have mentioned, Santa is my first dog. When she first came to live with me, I did alot of reading from the internet as I have zero knowledge about caring for a dog.

Since I stayed home, I was able to toilet trained her much faster. The same goes to her chewing furnitures and shoes. I also played "fetch" and "catch" with her from young. At that point she amazes me with her ability to identify each and everyone of her toys! We have given her toys such as a bunny, a small teddy bear and 2 small monkeys (one with a hat). I would throw all these together and command her to go fetch bunny, for example, and she will come back with bunny. As for the 2 monkeys, I'll say "Santa, go fetch monkey with the hat" and she can just identify that monkey to bring back. For the first time, that really surprised me and I didn't believe it until it happened again and again that I finally believed that dogs do understand human language.Wink

I wouldn't say I am good at training her because at times she just refused to listen and I can't get myself to be hard on her when she gives me that pitiful lookUnsure.

By the way, she has given us a lot of problem with her eating habits. To the extent of 2 visits to the vets and a scan. I must say, it is not her fault at all! We spoilt her because we just couldn't bear to see her go without food. Anyway, we have solved that problem and she is eating ok now.

Yes, she doesn't shed much. We have to brush her daily to brush out those "dead hairs". Yes, whenever we brushed her, there are hairs in the brush and that's all to the shedding. There's no special diet if you meant for the non-shedding. We take her to the groomer's once in about 3 to 4 months. We have considered doing it ourselves but she's not easy to keep still. Even brushing her daily is difficult.

(This post was edited by Dcom on May 15, 2008, 9:38 PM)

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

May 21, 2008, 6:26 PM

Post #11 of 18 (4737 views)
Shortcut

Hi shiloh,

I am also a new dog owner. Currently have a Miniature Poodle named Hazel. You can see her pic on my avatar. She's currently 3mths old and we had her since she was 6wks old.

From my current experience with a Poodle, I can tell you that:

- Poodles does not bark unless she's playing with me or needs to go to the toilet

- Poodles does not shed as well - Poodles have hair instead of fur

- According to my vet, Poodles do have their own health issues like any other purebred - just the amount of issues each breed has would be your main concern I think

- I send her for basic grooming once a month. I brush her & clean her eyes everyday. Clean her ears twice a week

- They are friendly with ppl and extremely good with kids - Hazel adores my nieces & nephews

Pppl have told me that Poodles are intelligent before I had Hazel and I can attest to it. She learns the basic obdience commands almost at an overnight rate. The only thing that is difficult is getting her to stay as she is so easily distracted with everything that is happening around her.

Toilet training was a nightmare during the 1st 3weeks. By the forth week that she was with us, she knows how to go to the toilet by herself.

Hope this helps you decide shiloh. All the best!

shiloh

May 21, 2008, 6:32 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sonic Theory] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Sonic Theory. I had never considered a poodle. I always felt that lots of fur = lots of shedding. So maybe I should expand my horizons.

Did you get Hazel from a breeder or from a pet shop? She's a very pretty girl.

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

May 21, 2008, 10:02 PM

Post #13 of 18 (4724 views)
Shortcut

Hi shiloh,

Thanks for the compliment. She is indeed a very cute & adorable girl. Sometimes a rascal as well. Hahaha!

Honestly I've never imagined myself having a Poodle either. As a guy, I've always wanted a "manly" dog like a Bulldog or GSD or Lab. However after loads of research and reading, I figured I should get a small dog due to my inexperience handling a dog. And coincidently, a colleague of mine had a friend who was giving away thier litter bcos their dogs "accidentally" mated - who are now spayed, thank god!

I suppose to most ppl, a Poodle is feminine and also too snobbish (painted by movies or cartoons). I guess one just need to get over the stereotype and you will be surprised how a Poodle is. It was never once on my list of fave dog breeds but it is now.

If you have decided on a Poodle I can give you a breeder's contact that has Toy Poodles - much smaller than a Miniature Poodle. Let me know if you need it ya.

Cheers!

shiloh

May 21, 2008, 10:06 PM

Post #14 of 18 (4720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sonic Theory] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes please on the breeder's contact. Pls email to shiloh.tan at . Thanks!

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

May 21, 2008, 10:28 PM

Post #15 of 18 (4717 views)
Shortcut

The contact details are at home and I'm at work now. I think the forum disables the email address details. Perhaps you can leave your number here and I'll text the breeder's contact to you later tonite when I get home?

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 22, 2008, 9:42 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4695 views)
Shortcut

I owns 3 Miniature Schnauzers, all rescued dogs. MS dont shed or sheds very very minimal. They are good watch dog, obedient and easy to train. But they do need grooming, 6 - 8 weeks once. They are good with children too.

Dogs that dont shed much are mostly the long haired breeds like poodles, MSchnauzers, Malteses.

Come over to Ikano this weekend, we are bringing some dogs from PAWS for adoption... SPCA will also bring some. We would be there throughout the school holiday but only dog / cat adoptions during weekends.

Dcom
Novice

May 22, 2008, 10:12 PM

Post #17 of 18 (4668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Where about Ikano will you be? At what time and Saturdays and Sundays too? If I have the time, I thought of dropping by to "look see look see". Will there be puppies available?

mbless
K9 Kaki

May 23, 2008, 1:59 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dcom] Please advise looking for suitable breed for indoor & kids' companion [In reply to] Can't Post

We will be at the Ground Floor, outdoor area next to a Hardware shop. Opposite StarBucks.
We were just informed that we cannot bring puppies for rehoming due to some objection so we are bringing teenagers and adults dogs. There will also be cats and kittens.
Do drop by and bring your friends along.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my