IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
Biting!

Scotch

Apr 15, 2008, 6:32 PM

Post #1 of 13 (9113 views)
Shortcut
Biting! Can't Post

I have a 1 year 8 month mongrel called Scotch. My dog loves to bite everything. He even tore the pedal off my bicycle. He also take the slippers off the shoe rack and bite them, even though his toy is on the floor.He is already neutered but he likes to bite me. I think it's just being playful, but it is really painful. Especially my leg when I go outside. Please help! I don't want this to get worse.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 15, 2008, 8:54 PM

Post #2 of 13 (9100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] Biting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ignore him when he bites u. When he stops pet him and say good boy. For things u have to keep those things away or just confine him when you are not around. Try catching him biting then shout at him to make him stop. Shout 'NO' loudly.. Once he stops say good boy..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Scotch

Apr 16, 2008, 3:24 PM

Post #3 of 13 (9062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Biting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried telling him loudly 'no' a lot of times. But everytime I say that, he thinks I'm playing and barks. As for ignoring him, he will only bite harder.

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2008, 6:55 PM

Post #4 of 13 (8961 views)
Shortcut

My Daisy bit off part of my car number plate... she was kind enough to just bite the black parts and leave the number still on. She also bit the buttons of many of my clothes.

What u can do is to remove anything u dun want ur dog to bite from his reach and provide him his own toys u can encourage him to bite.

Then u wait and wait and wait... till ur dog is 2yo and hopefully matures enough to stop biting then. Laugh
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

ferox
Novice

May 2, 2008, 7:36 AM

Post #5 of 13 (8420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Biting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dog is dominion and running your house. Biting you is a serious challenge to your leadership and instead of ignoring him, be firm with him. It's up to YOU to decide what he can, or cannot do. If not, you'll been seen as the weaker one in the pack. Petting him AFTER he stops bitting you is only going to encourage him to bite you more.

Scotch

May 5, 2008, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 13 (8196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ferox] Biting! [In reply to] Can't Post

So do you suggest that I tell him firmly 'no'? Actually, when I go out, he's fine.He wags his tail and stuff. But the moment I close the door behind me, he starts biting me. It's like a trigger. Now, to avoid him biting me, I usually bring out a water spray bottle. Everytime he comes near and tries to bite me, I say 'no' and move the bottle in his direction, but I don't spray. This way, he thinks that I will spray and won't come and bite me but will still bark like mad. I have to do this every single time, every single day. But the only two people he bites is me and my sister. No one else.

mum2jude
Enthusiast

May 6, 2008, 7:31 PM

Post #7 of 13 (8010 views)
Shortcut

Scotch probably sees you as his buddy, his playmate. My pup Ell will bite and play rough with Daisy but will stop biting me immediately when I say "NO!" to her. Of coz.. the first few times I said "No!", she also got a taste of the cane on her butt... She's a quick learner. Tongue
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

daniellechua02
Novice

May 18, 2008, 11:21 PM

Post #8 of 13 (7297 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I have a 1 year 8 month mongrel called Scotch. My dog loves to bite everything. He even tore the pedal off my bicycle. He also take the slippers off the shoe rack and bite them, even though his toy is on the floor.He is already neutered but he likes to bite me. I think it's just being playful, but it is really painful. Especially my leg when I go outside. Please help! I don't want this to get worse.

Danielle Chua
www.dogcareschool.com

Love and Understand your dog, pinurl.com/loveyourdog

Scotch

May 20, 2008, 9:51 AM

Post #9 of 13 (7280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniellechua02] Biting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link. I'll go check it out.

Scotch

May 26, 2008, 5:44 AM

Post #10 of 13 (7123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mum2jude] Biting! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's getting worse! When I go out at night, he will come and bite my leg.He will pull at my skin and there have been many times when he's teeth would have gone in if I didn't stamp my feet. I've tried everything. I've tried telling him 'No' , but he will think your playing and bite some more. I've tried ignoring him which will result in him biting even harder. I beat him lightly with the newspaper, and he will in turn bite the newspaper. And the water spray bottle, it's not working! If I spray or don't spray, he will still bite! My uncle said he is still small (he is 1 year 8 months) and will eventually grow out of it. But what if he gets more vicious? I don't want to put him down. Please help. The strange thing is, he won't do it to anyone else but me and my sister. He's scared of everyone else, but he won't bite them. My sister said I should spray pepper and make it burn his eyes, but it will not cause serious damage. But I think that is just too cruel. Please advice.

mum2jude
Enthusiast

May 26, 2008, 4:17 PM

Post #11 of 13 (7105 views)
Shortcut

Maybe try hitting him harder with the newspapers? Or get a cane...? Not so hard that u injure him but he must feel the pain. Some dogs... no pain, no learn.
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

myzanordin
ALPHA

May 27, 2008, 12:08 AM

Post #12 of 13 (7085 views)
Shortcut

yup, agree with mum2jude...sometime, we just have to do that ! especially when 'biting' involves. Dont think at that age, he is still teething...

If tak sampai hati nak pukul, get a hanger, and pukul the dinding really loud. Use to that to my monsters...now, I just have to carry the hanger and they knw what and not to do!!!! .....

mcmercedez
Dog Kichi

May 28, 2008, 6:10 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6999 views)
Shortcut

My current Corgi also giving me the same problem.. She'll bite anything and everyone especially on the feet when we walk.. I also tried those bitter spray and apparently she bite more.. So now I try to teach her instead of yelling NO!! to her, now I say YES!! to her.. But of course not say YES!! when she bite ler.. So now she bite less already.. Maybe you can try this:

Whenever he bite, you say NO!! to him and then when he stop biting, you give him a small treat and say YES!! to him.. this will make him learn that he will get a treat when he stop biting.. Then slowly reduce the treat as he improve on the biting.. Take some time to train him for about a week for him to register in his head.. This will also help him to learn without the pain way..

Another thing that you can try is that, whenever he bites, distract him by putting the rubber toy near his mouth.. Its more of like subsitute the leg with the toy.. Buy those toy where you can put the treats in it one.. So he will chew the toy instead of your leg..

Hope these way could help you but do note that it takes time yah.. and make sure you have to let him know that you're in control and not him.. Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my