Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
Heartworm & a sick dog

kmchan1
Novice

Jun 8, 2003, 9:29 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2566 views)
Shortcut
Heartworm & a sick dog Can't Post

Frown 3 mths ago my dog (no particular breed) was diagnosed with heartworms. He was not eating, really weak, and very inactive. These symptoms started to show a week after his mom died. He was given the heartworm medication injection and told to keep him inactive for a month.

Throughout passed three months, various other problems occurred.

Visit 1: His skin started to red, blister, with pus. A lot of dandruffs.

- the vet told us he was allergic to his current food. We were feeding him Beef/Chicken Pedigree dog biscuits. We altered his food to rice and water. His skin began to heal and dry up. However, the hair never grew back on his back.

Visit 2: His nose always has excessive excretions and sometimes blood clot.

- the vet told us he has throat infection. Gave him a antibiotic jab.

Visit 3: Not eating/drinking. Everytime he eats, he ended up vomiting everything. Eyes always have excessive yellowish decretions.

- the vet told us to force feed him water/food. If unable to feed him solid food, then force feed him porridge.

However, the 3rd visit turned unpleasant with my mom and I being upset and the vet being upset. We were tired of the unending problems, and him administering merely to the symptom. He was upset on us questioning his instructions. I was so worried for my dog coz he was not eating/drinking and when I heard his solution was to forcefeed him porridge, that just did something to me.

We never brought our dog back to him. I have started my dog on heartguard and supplement recently. Now, he is able to eat in small portion. Still skinny to the bone. Aneroxia dog! I feed him water with a syringe. I won't say he is fully recovered, coz we still need to take extra care of his food/liquid intakes. We don't even know whether exercise will kill him at this moment coz he is not as active as he used to be. Sleep a lot, but fortunately he looks forward and goes for his evening walk (which is an improvement, when he was sick, he lagged behind during walk). We were thinking of getting a puppy to keep him company since he practically grew up along his mom and his mom passed away shortly before he was sick.

Please give me some insights on what to do. I also need someone to recommend a vet, one that's reliable and charge reasonably. Preferably within Petaling Jaya coz my dog hates car rides.
kmchan1

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

Jun 9, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kmchan1] Heartworm & a sick dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kmchan1

Very sorry to hear what you have to go through. The vet Sidnee goes to is quite decent. But it is situated along Old Klang Road. Not very familiar with this area. If you would like to try, you may email me at wlaiwan@time.net.my for the details.

Take Care & Good Luck

joycet78

Jun 10, 2003, 7:56 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2524 views)
Shortcut

kmchan1,

Sorry about your dog and what both of you have gone thru. May I know where about do you stay? there's a very good vet that might help him. Do contact me at joycet78@hotmail.com for the vet info.

Hope Smilehe recovers soon.
JT78

kmchan1
Novice

Jun 10, 2003, 8:31 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Wink Thanks a lot for your replies. I welcome your recommendations on the vet.

My dog is recovering slowly. He has a huge appetite now and wags his tail! Move around more. We still feed him in small portion, slowly adding to it coz the last time he ate too much, he vomitted again. We're watching his diet. He is a very fussy dog. Won't drink his water if there is a speck of dust in it. So, we have to constantly change his water.

Recently, I decided to put on his collar after leaving him without it since he was sick. Before he was sick, we could only button right up to the last 2nd hole. Now, I could actually go right passed all the holes. That's how thin he has gone to. I'm glad he is all right now. The worse has passed.
kmchan1

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

Jun 11, 2003, 1:01 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Hie kmchan

Glad to hear that your dog is recovering now. Mind telling us what actually happened ? So we can be prepared to spot symptoms..

kmchan1
Novice

Jun 11, 2003, 1:38 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Unsure Thanks wlaiwan. If you do a search on the web, you can find loads of information on heartworm and other health issues too. I learnt a lot through this experience. As for heartworm, the only solution is prevention. You cannot really avoid it especially in a tropical country like Malaysia where mosquitoes are like air. They're everywhere and free! The prevention e.g. heartguard has to be given regularly and some may think they're not cheap. Trust me! Unless you're willing to let your beloved die, the 'cure' is A LOT EXPENSIVE.

According to the websites, by the time you see symptoms, it's real serious already. A dog could be having heartworm problem and not display any signs or symptoms til later stage. My dog, for instance, no longer prefer his walk. Usually, we had to hold him back with the leash. While he was sick, we practically had to drag him for a walk. Generally, he is weak, breathes heavily and eventually loses his appetite. We suspect that maybe the mom has it too, except that she displays different symptoms. She has constant running nose and heavy breathing. She died four days after that.

Since the cure is toxic, a blood test has to be made to determine whether the dog is still strongly enough and the quantity to inject. No idea what else the medication can do to a dog.
kmchan1

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 4:57 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Great to hear that your dog is now slowly recovering... I can imagine what a nightmare you went through.. perhaps you can visit another vet to get some advise on getting your dog some good suppliment to help him get stronger Wink!

kmchan1
Novice

Jun 11, 2003, 5:45 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Sly If I have a digicam I could put up the before and after photo. That should put any slimming centre to shame!
kmchan1

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my