Bringing my dog to Cambodia

beclipse80
Novice

Apr 8, 2008, 6:41 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2536 views)
Shortcut
Bringing my dog to Cambodia Can't Post

Hi all,

Need some advice. I will be posted to Cambodia for work and I am planning to bring my 3 yr-old min. schnauzer along. I have no idea where to start, such as, do I need to bring my dog for medical checkup? (does the vet know what kind of checkup to do), do I need to apply for any approval to bring my dog in cambodia, which is the most reasonable company which provides pet moving..and etc.

Would appreciate if anyone can help me out! Thanks!

echolow
New User

Sep 16, 2008, 9:21 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [beclipse80] Bringing my dog to Cambodia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I had just posted to SIngapore and am undergoing the quite the same situation as you. I think the thing you need to find out for now is the procedures and application needed at Cambodia side before you "export" your dog over. I think your dog will need to be quarantined for 30 days before he can really enter into Cambodia. For my case, I had referred to AVA (Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority) of Singapore and they had led me into the process.

I just found out that I need to get my dog microchipped before I can proceed with the body check-ups and stuffs like that. The quarantine side is another big sum of money. Guess I need to prepare at least S$800 to get my dog over... Unsure

FLK

Sep 18, 2008, 7:53 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [echolow] Bringing my dog to Cambodia [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard that while the dog under quarantine period. It is quite suffering. Is it true ?

kajol333
Novice

Dec 5, 2008, 5:38 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FLK] Bringing my dog to Cambodia [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe it depends on the country you are taking your dog to. Countries like Cambodia are very backward and probably don't have good facilities at their quarantine centre. Also the staff could be inefficient and don't forget in Cambodia people eat dogs.

Still, I think it is very admirable that you would take your dog with you. Many irresponsible people dump their pets when they go abroad or even move to apartments. They should ask themselves the question that if it were their child, would they dump it that way?

My advise is to visit the dog regularly at the quarantine centre and be friendly to the staff to ensure they know you are a foreigner who takes a strong interest in the well being of your dog. Also take your own food and try and coax the staff to say the dog may starve if not given the food he is used to.

Also make sure you check with Cambodian as well as Malaysian officials on the exact documents you need. My friend who was a medical student in Russia had grave problems when she brought her pet Russian cat over. The Malaysian authorities insisted one document was missing and refused to release the cat, threatening to put it down or issue a huge penalty sum as a fine. She came crying to me saying that to the best of her knowledge she did everything according to the procedures, but all the documents are in Russian as well and she has no way of understanding what they say.

I managed to help her get the cat out. So you will need to ensure all documents are in order. There is an Animal Hotel in Putrajaya that very efficient as far as I heard and top notch. It's the world's one and only 6 star Animal Hotel. They regularly transport animals from one country to another. Do call them and check on what you need to do. I'm sure they will be able to advise. Tel : 8777 1847

chaelian
Dog Kichi

Dec 13, 2008, 12:53 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kajol333] Bringing my dog to Cambodia [In reply to] Can't Post

The last time I checked, Cambodia has no quarantine requirement. I once considered bringing my dog on vacation there with me and was thrilled to learn that there was no quarantine requirement there... but sadly, I'd have to quarantine my dog upon returning to Malaysia!

Anyway, since there's no quarantine requirement to enter Cambodia, I'd strongly suggest that you bring your dog as excess baggage. That way, at least you'll be on the same flight as your dog and if anything happens at either airport, the airline staff can always find you. It's a more expensive option but will definitely give you peace of mind!

When I flew to Langkawi last year, MAS charged RM5 per kg and then gave a discount after exceeding a certain amount (I think 20 kg). My dog weighed in at 32 kg (including cage) and was charged RM163 each way. To save money, we checked him in alone in the cage then after paying the charges, we threw in all his toys, towels, dog food, etc into the cage just before the airline staff rolled him away! Luckily, he's a good traveller so didn't pee or poo during the flight.

For international flights, the charges are higher... around RM10-RM20 per kg (including cage).

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my