Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS

Teng Choon
Novice

Mar 30, 2008, 10:53 PM

Post #1 of 14 (4025 views)
Shortcut
PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS Can't Post

i have a golden retriever... aged 5 months... i don know whether she is lazy to walk or she hated the leash and choke chain... recently i m training her heel in my house... its really hard to get her to walk... even if i pull her she refused to walk... she will juz sit there and fight back... is there anyway to solve this ? plus... shud i enroll basic obedience or puppy class obedience if i wanted to ? will it help me ?

bakamono
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 2:12 AM

Post #2 of 14 (4009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Teng Choon] PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS [In reply to] Can't Post

Try using treats or favourite toys to lure her and LOTS of praise. Taking her for training is a good thing as she'll learn to socialize from young and a different envirolment bside home will be good to trigger her senses. Usually the obedience classes is 2/3 for your furkids and 1/3 for you to understand her more. Once u got the communication thro', it'll b easier for both to live under the same roof.

Teng Choon
Novice

Mar 31, 2008, 2:40 AM

Post #3 of 14 (4006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm... maybe i m not good at praising... haih ! but anyway... have u tried the training programs b4 ? planning to bring her there... and are the trainers all good ? mind to tell me more abt it ? because i don wanna go there ended she still don know anything... of coz promising tat i will train her consistently la and in the right method... really hope the professional trainers there can help me solve it...

bakamono
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 3:08 PM

Post #4 of 14 (3956 views)
Shortcut

I myself was terrible in the beginning at praising but eventually got used to it. Have sent my Lab for OB training and it does wonder. Never realised that she can be so obedient after all. After that also sent her together wz my Cocker for Agility for the fun of it (theirs not mine). At the field you olso can meet up wz dog owners whom can give you ideas how their dogs behave and all this r vry useful for references. You won't regret especially when yr GR can go off leash beside you one day. Some r slow learner there4 don't give up so easily.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Mar 31, 2008, 6:36 PM

Post #5 of 14 (3933 views)
Shortcut

HI, what you require is puppy training but unfortunately non of the training centres or should I say the commonly known ones do not do it. I would suggest you get your pup to walk on leash first before you join any training programme. Leash your pup up using a choke chain (put on properly) and a 2 meter leash, walk away from your pup, turn round to face it, squat down and call him and once he comes to you, praise him with a hug, a treat, or whatever. Keep doing this exercise over a period of time until you are confident that it is confident, then just vary it to a walk, etc.

Teng Choon
Novice

Apr 1, 2008, 6:47 AM

Post #6 of 14 (3873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS [In reply to] Can't Post

thx for the info... i will try the training lesson tat u teach me... build up her confidence first... then only bring her to walk... but i oredi enrolled her into puppy OB class... this sunday at ampang... hope tat won be a problem for her >.< ... one more question... she likes to bite her leash... how to help her get rid of it ? my fren told me... juz continuously tell her "no" stricty... or any other better ways u all could suggest me ?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 1, 2008, 10:47 AM

Post #7 of 14 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Hi there Teng Choon!

Some of the suggestion given by two of the forumers here are good. Yeah, even if you enrolled your pup for training, the trainer will not be able to help you much as he/she will have other trainees to teach. You'll need to do some recall exercises 1st just like one of the forumer here suggested. You'll need to get your puppy comfortable & confident about the choke chain & leash. Dop this playing type of recall exercise everyday without fail & within a few days, your pup should be okay. Remember this, you train the dog not the dog train you. And yes, learn how to praise your dog too. I suggest you stand infront of a mirror & praise your leg for a whole 10 seconds. Train yourself 1st of how to praise properly. I always tell other to put on a high pitch voice saying, "good boy! good boy!" or "good girl! good girl!" Let your feminine side come out if you're a man. Don't be shy... Many man do this too. Once you know what you're doing, try practicing the praise thingy with your dog. If you see your dog's tail waging & its ears perked up, then you know you're doing the right thing & you're heading the right track. Hehehe! Hope there'll be progress. Keep us updated okay?

Teng Choon
Novice

Apr 1, 2008, 5:47 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS [In reply to] Can't Post

hey thx there amber.faith... i m a big fan of ur goldie ^^ she is very cute and knows how to many great tricks...i watched many of the clips on youtube... hope my one will be as OB as urs... erm... one more question... when is the right time to choke her... my goldie doesnt like me to choke her... she will get mad at me and juz lie there... >.<... sad la me... Frown i m a lousy trainee...

zephyros
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2008, 6:17 PM

Post #9 of 14 (3817 views)
Shortcut

choke her? here is my question to you, do you really think a choke chain is really required? to be honest i've not been a really big fan of them. even while training the heaviest butt GSD i've found that choke chains doesn't always work and sometimes will irritate the dog even more. put yourself in their shoes, if someone was teaching u to walk, and kept choking you, would u do it, or be even more stuborn?

my pup had this problem too. was so afraid to walk the first time he stood on grass. took a good 30-45 mins before he got used to it. also the first time i placed a collar on him, he would sit there and not move at all. just be patient. what i did, was...let him sit there. put a few treats as lure within sight, BUT out of reach. some distance that will require him stand up and walk.

once he has whined enough, sooner or later he'll walk by himself. no choke chains required, no tugging or pulling required. reason to avoid, tugging and pulling is....he'll do it even more because he has learnt how to pull. thus when you learn to heel your dog, you should never let him learn how to pull you.

here is a good read for you. you'll understand more on how to train your dog to heel. do read it thoroughly. do not sabotage your dog's training hehe. most owners does not notice it but, you can literally kill your dog's obedience by the smallest error during training. one, is what i've mentioned above, letting your dog learn to pull you.

http://www.goodpooch.com/...Pooch/heelin1day.htm

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 1, 2008, 7:25 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3805 views)
Shortcut

Hi thanks! Well, Amber is not all that obedient ya know... She acts like obedient in her videos but during her exam time or OB trials, she acts like a dumbo. She's an intelligent pup but she uses her intelligence to become cunning... Gets to my nerve sometimes.

Anyway, there's a right time to jerk your dog. Jerking is only required when dog is not paying attention, forging, pulling, sniffing the ground or is not doing the command. Many people say that choke chain is not really required but sometimes it is. For soft & gentle dogs like my Dalmatian, jerking is not really required but we still use the choke chain on her. If the dogs are submissive& a little shy, coaxing is really important & then we must take it slow on them.

There must be corrections & praising. There must be a fair amount of those two. Just praising & correcting the dog verbally will not necessarily help. Sometimes, a little pain is required in order for the dog to listen & learn. I mean, you don't simply jerk & jerk & jerk like nobody business lah. Only do so when it is really required. I hardly jerk my dogs nowadays coz I think it's not necessarily but the moment they pull on the leash, they get a big one & that's it. They stop & got the message.

Your dog is not used to the feeling of the choke chain choking her so I don't encourage you to do any jerking 1st. You'll still need to encourage her with treats or toys. If she does it wrongly, it's okay becoz she has just started learning the commands. Take it slow & always put on a choke chain whenever it is training time. It's a good way to remind her also that it's business time... Remember when she does her commands right, give her one big praise & lots of tempting treats or throw her favorite ball/toy for her to fetch.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 7:36 PM

Post #11 of 14 (3805 views)
Shortcut

I have a super-timid dog, that, is afraid over anything. The 1st time, when I want to get him to 'heel' with the choke chain on him..it was a total nightmare. He refuse to do anything plus he was was crying .After that incident, when he sees me bringing the leash and choke chain, he will run away like a mad dog..so training was something, both, he and me, dread about...

A fren of mine gave me a very useful advise. Thats's when I start to bait him with treats. Everytime when I manage to get him wear the choke chain I will immediately give him a treat. After a mth of few praises and attempts...I have no problem at all. Now, the moment he sees me with the choke chain. He will sit infront of me, move his head upwards and watch - volunteer to be on choke chain...

He understands, now that, when he does thing right for me. He will get praises and food...training is much easier, now. But definately a challenge for a super-timid dog...

PSY
K9 Kaki

Apr 1, 2008, 8:14 PM

Post #12 of 14 (3797 views)
Shortcut

I do not think, having your dog enrol in training is an issue. As for biting, as you put it, the pup is actually playing with his leash, it will loose interest once it finds out running to you is more inrteresting.

Teng Choon
Novice

Apr 2, 2008, 5:02 AM

Post #13 of 14 (3734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TO ALL] PLS HELP ME SOLVE THIS [In reply to] Can't Post

THX... REALLY THX TO ALL THE PPL OUT THERE WHO GAVE ME ALL THESE VALUABLE INFO ! IT WAS A GREAT HELP TO ME ! U GUYS ARE REALLY GREAT AND EXPERIENCED ! I TRY USING TREATS TODAY AND SHE DID IT... MAYBE NOT PERFECT LA... CAUSE FIRST TIMER... BUT SHE WAS MORE WILLING TO HEEL ALONG ME... REALLY HAPPY LA SEE MY DOG LIKE TAT ^^ BUT I SCARE SHE WILL DEPEND ON THE TREATS... HMM... I WAN HER TO DO WITHOUT TREATS ALSO... ANY IDEA ? CUT DOWN SLOWLY ?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 6, 2008, 9:59 AM

Post #14 of 14 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Well, since she just started, later on you can gradually slowly cut down the treats slowly. For now, always praise & treat, praise & treat. Later on, do some heeling exercise then praise & treat. Do again some more heeling exercise, this time no treat but just praising. But again for the next round, praise & treat. Play with her mind a bit. Next time you can only reward her when she has finish a full series of exercises! But take it slow lah...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my