First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2008, 4:01 PM

Post #1 of 57 (5016 views)
Shortcut
Other ways to prevent pregnancy?? Can't Post

Hi

Would like to know what are the other ways that can be used to prevent pregnancy apart from neutering / spaying??

Please dun bombard me with comments like i am a potential breeder/backyard breeder/ irresponsible breeder n stuff. I will not resort to neutering / spaying due to religious beliefs. Hope to hear some feedbacks frm some kind bros/sis here.

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2008, 8:41 PM

Post #2 of 57 (5000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sirwin81] Other ways to prevent pregnancy?? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

I heard that can let them have injection of hormone to prevent pregnancy... but, heard that it's not good.. I got this info from other forum... there's 3 types:

(1) Depot ¡ª Medroxyprogesterone acefate ( MPA ) <<< might got breast cancer at the end. Lots of country banned this. (2 mg£¯kg every 3 months or 3 mg£¯kg every 4 months.)

(2) Proligestone ¡ª 14¦Á£¬17¦Á propylidene - diexy progesterone <<< only Europe and England allow this drugs while US ban this drugs.( 10 ~ 30 mg£¯kg£¬every 3 to 7 mohts or every 5 months.) It's safer than the first choice.

(3) Testesterone propionate ¡ª 110 mg weekly. (no other specific comment on this)

actually, I have the same problem.. wanna look for alternative way to prevent pregnancy.. cause spraying my dog is painful for her.. Frown

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 1:44 AM

Post #3 of 57 (4975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] Other ways to prevent pregnancy?? [In reply to] Can't Post

The short period of pain is better than causing them pyometra which will kill her or even spare her from long term probs in future like breast cancer and so on. Injecting hormones might be a way to stop it but they won't have a long life with all these things being injected into them.

I wonder which religious belief says specifically cannot spay a dog?

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

shapeshifter

Mar 31, 2008, 3:56 AM

Post #4 of 57 (4966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Other ways to prevent pregnancy?? [In reply to] Can't Post

My dog, Chewie (yea, the old girl) had pyometra.

Scared the living daylights out of us when she was leaking pus all over one day (she was about 7 then).

Thank god she was saved.

Now, every dog I have has been spayed (except for the lil GR, Sophie coz of her leaky urine problem- once that's fixed I'm gonna get her spayed).

acsyen is right- better to have pain for a while than to suffer.

Pyometra is ugly. And stinks. And I can't even begin to imagine how painful it was for my dog.

You could ask your vet about those hormone injections mentioned.
~ A dog is the only one who will love you more than you love yourself~

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 4:54 AM

Post #5 of 57 (4960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shapeshifter] Other ways to prevent pregnancy?? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes exactly by the time u see pus coming out the infection was there for quite a while already. so the suffering is even worse than spaying. my dog can run n play about 1 day after spaying. haave seen a uterus infected wt pyometra. my vet showed me.. scary.. felt like a ballon that's he puncturing and it'll burst and pus will be all over me when he pricks it. was standing far wen he pricked it.. if it bursts inside the dog's body then you can say bye bye to ur dog..

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 5:13 AM

Post #6 of 57 (4954 views)
Shortcut

it's pretty scary to hear this.. pyometra...

know why I think twice about spraying my dog? cause before that, my senior dog had bad experience when she's young.. so, when we heard of spraying.. I'm like a bit worried.. by the way, yen... who is your vet? so good.. your dog could run around after one day of spraying..

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 5:55 AM

Post #7 of 57 (4945 views)
Shortcut

my vet is at bandar puteri puchong. most dogs can run about after they wake up. but they will be tired a bit faster than usual for bout 1-2 days. best is they are not allowed to be having too much activities. got one of my rescue dogs play too much till wound buka a bit.. gave me a shock rush to vet sew back but the moment she wake up from restitching jump again.. dunno wat is pain wan..

i do have bad experience too but not personal experience with lousy spaying. the dog almost died if not for my vet i won't see her already. My advise is go to a reputable vet to do it. They will allow u to take the dog home after it wakes up and put it on e-collar to prevent her from biting.

Neutering for male dogs even much easier process.. they recover even faster than the females. and most of them are still the same after the neutering. the best of all is they are less dominant and some the temperament will tone down abit..

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 7:03 AM

Post #8 of 57 (4938 views)
Shortcut

bandar putri puchong.. eh... what's the address?? ahahha.. actually, I'm from Ipoh.. but, my brotheris staying at Bukit Jalil.. so, if I have free time, I can go there.. if I really can't find a reputable vet here..

well, my senior dog got infection after spraying.. my poor poor furkid was in pain for almost one month.. then, went back to the vet to clean her wound for a few times.. until my furkid scared of getting into the car.. she's still scared of getting in the car until now.. Unsure that's why I'm worried that this will happen to my young lab again.. Pirate

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 4:23 PM

Post #9 of 57 (4883 views)
Shortcut

There is no beliefs that specifically says cannot spay or neuter the dog

just that they dun encourage this kind of things. For example buddhist dun believes in taking lives n stuff lar....

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 8:51 PM

Post #10 of 57 (4863 views)
Shortcut

BANDAR PUTERI VET CLINIC
16, Jln Puteri 5/8,
Bandar Puteri Puchong,
012 - 3263180
03 - 80621038

If you are worried about infection i would suggest you boarding your dog there for a few days. Might be cos of the stitches. Nowadays stitches are done very well so it lessens the chances of infection unless on some unexpected circumstances. Bukit jalil is pretty near to Puchong I work aroudnt hat area too.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 9:02 PM

Post #11 of 57 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Ya am a buddhist too.. And i believe that the future suffering to the unborn pups is what is not encouraged. Furthermore I can't guarantee their future will be 100% good so i will spay any dog that comes into my hands. I have friends who are strong buddhists and they still spay their dogs..

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 9:13 PM

Post #12 of 57 (4859 views)
Shortcut

Oic. Anyway i m looking for other options apart frm spaying or neutering. Spaying/ neutering will be my last option. I duwan to jump direct into spaying / neutering b4 xploring any other options.

Btw is it too late to neuter a 14 year old dog?? male neuter or spay ah??

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 9:13 PM

Post #13 of 57 (4859 views)
Shortcut

Oic. Anyway i m looking for other options apart frm spaying or neutering. Spaying/ neutering will be my last option. I duwan to jump direct into spaying / neutering b4 xploring any other options.

Btw is it too late to neuter a 14 year old dog?? male neuter or spay ah??

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 9:30 PM

Post #14 of 57 (4857 views)
Shortcut

Male is neuter/castrate. Female is spay. No harm not spaying just that I wouldn't put my own dog in this complicated risks of pyometra or even some sort of cancer. My vet actually told me that the risk of getting breast cancer is bout 1% or less if spayed before the first heat.

14 yr old dog best is to not do any form of surgery unless it is really needed. Their heart might be too weak to go through the surgery. Furthermore at this age most dog's leg also no strength to hump liao wahaha.. if it's cases that will take their lives then only you send..

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 10:19 PM

Post #15 of 57 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Oic. Okok

I m just checking on my 14 year old mongreal. dun think i would want to put him on that kind of stress n pain. hormons injection or whatever injection is a no no to me.

Have u heard of a spray that when sprayed on a bitch, it actually discourages the male from XXXX? N also is it true that bitch can only conceive if they xxx only when the bitch is on heat??

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 10:44 PM

Post #16 of 57 (4846 views)
Shortcut

Heard of the spray but will never have the chance to try it haha.. Anyway in my opinion not all dogs will have no urge to hump if use the spray. Their breeding instincts may be so high that the spray is no use.. Same like the anti bark spray collar some dogs just don't care. And yes they can only get pregnant when they are on heat and mated at that time..

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008, 11:11 PM

Post #17 of 57 (4841 views)
Shortcut

Hmm. Hehe i like ur reply "Heard of the spray but will never have the chance to try it haha.. "

Anyway one last stupid question, how do i know if my bitch is on heat ah. Pai seh this is the first time i got a female dog. through out the years my dogs are all male one.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 11:47 PM

Post #18 of 57 (4833 views)
Shortcut

You will see blodd drip for i think 5-9 days then after that the dog is read y for mating. Think whole cycle lasts bout 3 weeks.. The vagina will also swell.. This one better ask those that are pro in having unspayed dogs.

shapeshifter

Mar 31, 2008, 11:49 PM

Post #19 of 57 (4833 views)
Shortcut

Yea, i saw the uterus, the vet showed me. Punctured it like a balloon!

Took her to my brother's friend's dad who's a vet in KL.

He said she must've been suffering for a while.

Kesian- I felt so damn silly and guilty coz she was in a lot of pain.

He said had to observe and see if she eats coz if not, likely the toxic stuff had entered the blood and bye bye doggie then.

Thank god it didn't- she was soooo hungry when we brought her home- BEGGED for food- so cute.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 11:51 PM

Post #20 of 57 (4830 views)
Shortcut

Ya.. very geli lo.. after taking the uterus out we put her on antibiotics for another week just in case. I got keep the pics anyone interested? Cool

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2008, 12:24 AM

Post #21 of 57 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Errr

WHat uterus?? u mean when she is on heat or when down with pymotera or somehting like that

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 3:16 AM

Post #22 of 57 (4795 views)
Shortcut

Picture of the uterus that has been taken out and it's infected with pyometra Smile

shapeshifter

Apr 1, 2008, 7:54 PM

Post #23 of 57 (4728 views)
Shortcut

Aiyoh, don't want la!!!

Scary u knw!!! LOL.

Already seeing it in the flesh freaked me out enough.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #24 of 57 (4726 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe... Not that scary to me la.. I can tahan see bloody stuff even a blackened intestine..

shapeshifter

Apr 1, 2008, 10:18 PM

Post #25 of 57 (4708 views)
Shortcut

what's scary is the thought of thinking how painful it was for the dog.

and the smell of pus... not pleasant Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my