Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
how to prevent car sick

eunice_say
Novice

Mar 26, 2008, 11:55 PM

Post #1 of 12 (2680 views)
Shortcut
how to prevent car sick Can't Post

Hi, i m driving back to hometown next week. Well its kinda long journey car about 5 hours. I have tried to bring Master(my pup) for a car ride several times , but he still "vomit", n nausea each time of the car rides.

I have tried opening the window so that air flows, i tried feeding him one hour earlier b4 the ride. But he still throws out :~ So, Is there any alternative ? Can anyone help me?

thank you... ; )

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 27, 2008, 12:20 AM

Post #2 of 12 (2675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eunice_say] how to prevent car sick [In reply to] Can't Post

i do not know whether the method i use is proper or not if i were to travel in the morning, then i will not feed him in the morning...i will only feed him one meal in the evening for that particular day...then will place him at back seat all by his own...he can lie down, walk around, look out of the window and so on...i will give him a toy to play with in case if he is bored and a towel flipped to something like a pillow for him to sleep...it worked for my pup...but i am not sure whether it will work for your pup...Smile

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 27, 2008, 12:43 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2668 views)
Shortcut

i suggest tat u do not feed ur dog 4 to 5 hrs before u start the journey, to prevent from vomitting... make sure u make stops at the R&R to allow ur dog time to stretch his legs n relieve himself (make sure u pick up after he did his business ya) and let him drink water, so tat he does not get dehydrated... give him a couple of his toys to play with in the car... all the best... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

eunice_say
Novice

Mar 27, 2008, 1:46 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] how to prevent car sick [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks....to u and ai_ney, i will try that... ;)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 27, 2008, 9:51 AM

Post #5 of 12 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!

I have a Dalmatian who used to be very very very car sick. We alwasy brought her for car rides the moment we brought her back home & her 1st car ride was when she was 3mths only. When we brought her home that day (becoz the breeder's place is very far from our place) she urinated on me & then when we started driving, she started salivating. And then she shat. And then vomited. And then she shat again. And then she vomited again. Really BAD & the poor baby had to suffer for one hour becoz it was jam that time. At that time we also bought her straight to the vet's to get her 2nd vaccine before bringing her back home.

Anyway, from that day onwards, we brought her for car rides every two days to go to the park & to the training grounds every Sunday for OB training. Everyday she would salivate, shit & vomit in the car. So before we could carry on the journey, we had to stop on the side of the road to clean her mess up 1st. And every Sunday we suffer like this! And mind you, this car sickness problem went on for many, many, many months! Until one time, we got so fed up, we went to the vet & bought some car sickness pills. Yes, those pills helped alot! When we went to Melaka for the pp.com event two years back, we gave her those pills before we left & she survived throughout out the whole 2 hours journey there. Miracle pills! You can get them at any vet I think. We got ours from Dr. Lim's place.

Anyway, to overcome this problem, what we did was we brought Faith & our other dog for car rides everyday without fail! And each car ride takes up to 10 min only. faith can last up to 15 min only. Once over the time, she will start her crap. After each journey, we reward her by letting her run around in the park. That way, it made her love car rides & also it made her not get sick again during car rides. Later on, we increased the length of time. This took many months ya know...No joke.

We also don't feed her before car rides. Just like someone here suggested, feed the dog few hours before the ride. make sure she has pooped everything out already & then you know your dog will not vomit & shit. But no guarantee...

Yes, always leave windows open for fresh air & also put on some soothing music to calm the dog down. Ofcourse, no feeding your dog before leaving. Go for a long walk to burn its energy out so that it'll be able to sleep in the car. I suggest you go to the vet & get some of the car sickness pills & give about 2 half an hour to 1 hour before the ride. 5 hours is very long so expect your dog to be feeling very sick after reaching to your hometown. when reaching there, let it rest for the whole day & then feed it later only.

Hope this helps...

eunice_say
Novice

Mar 27, 2008, 10:33 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] how to prevent car sick [In reply to] Can't Post

hi... thanks for the information, really appreciated it ;). After finish reading your post, i immiediately call the vet and asked for the car sick pills.

Yes, they have it. She said the medicine act to calm the dog. Need to giv him the pill 30 mins b4 the journey, i really hope it helps, coz i actually brought MASTER for a car ride yesterday nite, only few minutes ride, he didnt throw out but when i touch his mouth and nose very "wet". B4 this we drove like half n hour journey he vomit alot, so PITY.... :~~~ tats y kinda worried about this comin trip that that will take about 3 hours ride.

You guys know BAHAU rite? well from KUALA PILAH there is one famouse hilly road called the "the 13 circle", Dont say pups, even I vomited there... Unsure. So really worried about MASTER. Hope the medicine can help ;). Thank you. ; )

myzanordin
ALPHA

Mar 27, 2008, 10:44 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2590 views)
Shortcut

Its called Bukit Putus...very eerie driving there, at nite....very curvy, small and dark....

eunice_say
Novice

Mar 27, 2008, 10:51 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] how to prevent car sick [In reply to] Can't Post

o i didnt know it called Bukit Putus, NOW ONLY I KNOW.. hahaha, Yah very curvy, b4 having MASTER we drive back 98% during nite time. Coz after work 9pm then go back pack things reach there also about 11~12 something ,Yah its very curvy and very dark, need to drive slowly lor. Coz wat to do, you like it o not, you still need to pass that hilly curvy road.

eunice_say
Novice

Apr 20, 2008, 12:51 AM

Post #9 of 12 (2228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eunice_say] how to prevent car sick - PARVO [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys.... Journey back from home town was smoothly. Master took his Pills before the journey, he didnt throw up. The pills actually helps to calm the little fellow. He just sat in my lap and dont moved around like he used to.

Well another thing happen after that. Actually after our journey back from hometown. 3rd day actually, Master suddenly Vommit alot. And he was showing sign of lethargy. He dont have any appetite to eat, he drinks water and later vomit out again. I immediately sent him to the vet for check ups. The vet observed him for couple of hours, but he didnt vomit untill i he reach home and start vomit again. So that night, Master had diareah where you can see blood and it has this smell that is so unbarable.

I send him to the vet the next morning. The vet suspect him intracts with a virus. So after 4 mins test, he was tested positive for PARVO VIRUS. i remember clearly what the vet told me that day. she said. Be prepared as this is deadly virus. Chances to survive is 50/50! who hear not get SHOCK!!!! your puppy was ok one min, and the other min he has 50/50 chances to live. So Master was immediately admitted and was isolated from the other pups. I dont have any clue at all about PARVO Virus. I search the Internet and really SHOCK to know how DEADLY is Parvo virus are.

If who wants to know about PARVO Virus, i willing to share it with you. Coz since Master was admitted, i search PARVO in the internet for DAYS and even wrote myself a sypnosis about PARVO VIRUS. Master was admitted in the vet clinic for 7 days. 7 days for me is like 7 years. I called the vet clinic everyday to update on master condition. As all Parvo patient will be treated the same way that is on IV fluids. For the couple of days, master wasnt showing any progress and he vomitted BLOOD on his 3rd at the clinic. The vet told me its not a good sign. After tat i asked permission from the vet to visit him. Since that day, i visit him every morning before heading to work. I talk and give him courage everyday. Even few mins. I chanted to hear some improvement. But with family's prayers and concern, and also not forgotten the help, caring of the vet, Master pulled tru. He was discharge on the 7th day. He was not eating yet, as the vet needs to force him to eat using syringe.

Now he is at home resting. He is so thin and weak. 2day will be his 3rd day at home and he can eat but only boiled chicken, so still need to keep an eye on the little fellow till he is back on his feet. So anyone wants to know about PARVO VIRUS, i am happy to share it with you...

; ) PS: Parvo virus only attack puppies, so please please please if you have a puppy make sure they have their vaccine on time. You dont want to go tru wat i went tru, trust me... If your puppies showing sign 1)vomitting 2) lethargy 3)no appetite 4)blood or vomit that has blood ACT FAST AND SEND THOSE BABIES TO THE VET.

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 20, 2008, 8:57 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2208 views)
Shortcut

i was just about to mention the pills... haha... anyway... the pills will help the nervous dog calm down during their ride in the car... but remember not to over dos oo... better to consult the vet...

and about the parvo virus... does it only be dangerous to puppies...??? or you meant dog also...???

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

eunice_say
Novice

Apr 20, 2008, 10:43 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veanne] how to prevent car sick - PARVO [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, i only give him one every journey. I make sure get prescription from the vet. ;) I have include (copy & paste ) information about parvo virus. hope it helps. i have my sympnosis title " parvo " at home. i will paste it here when i get back.

Parvo Virus.

Parvo is a virus that attacks the lining of the digestive system. It causes dogs and puppies to not be able to absorb nutrients or liquids. Puppies are especially prone to it because they have an immature immune system. When puppies contract parvo, they often have diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy. Usually they stop eating and develop a bloody, foul-smelling, liquid stool.

Symptoms usually begin with a high fever, lethargy, depression, and loss of appetite. Secondary symptoms appear as severe gastrointestinal distress, such as vomiting and bloody diarrhea. In many cases, dehydration, shock, and death follow.

The diarrhea is particularly foul smelling and is sometimes yellow in color. Parvo can also attack a dog's heart causing congestive heart failure. This complication can occur months or years after an apparent recovery from the intestinal form of the disease.

Canine parvovirus is carried by dogs. Adult dogs may be infected carriers without showing any clinical signs. Dogs with the typical diarrhea that parvovirus causes shed the virus as well. It can last a long time in the environment, perhaps as long as 9 months or longer. Generally, it takes 7-10 days from the time of exposure for dogs and puppies to start showing symptoms and to test positive for parvo.

Parvo can be brought home to your dog on shoes, hands and even car tires. It can live for many months outside the animal. Any areas that are thought to be contaminated with parvo should be thoroughly washed with chlorine bleach diluted 1 ounce per quart of water.

Dogs and puppies can contract parvo even if they never leave their yards. Parvo virus, despite what you might hear, is NOT an airborne virus. It is excreted in the feces of infected dogs, and if someone -- human, dog, bird, etc. -- steps in (or otherwise comes in contact with) the excrement, the possibility for contamination is great. Some people speculate that birds invading a dog's food dish can deposit the parvovirus there. If you think you may have come in contact with parvovirus, a strong solution of bleach and water does kill the virus, so you can wash your shoes and clothes, even your hands with it, to reduce the risk of infecting your dog.

Rest assured that parvovirus is specific to dogs alone and cannot be transmitted to humans or other pets of a different species, such as cats.

Without intense treatment, the victims of parvo die of dehydration. Treatment generally consists of IV or sub-cutaneous fluids and antibiotics. There is no cure. Veterinarians can only treat the symptoms palliatively, and try to keep the dog alive by preventing dehydration and loss of proteins. As there is no cure for any virus, treatment for parvo is mostly that of supporting the different systems in the body during the course of the disease. This includes giving fluids, regulating electrolyte levels, controlling body temperature and giving blood transfusions when necessary.

If your dog becomes infected with parvovirus, he has about a 50-50 chance of survival. If he makes it through the first three to four days, he will usually make a rapid recovery, and be back on his feet within a week. It is vital, however, that he receives supportive therapy immediately. It must be stressed that this is not a bad case of doggy flu; without medical treatment, most puppies die.

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 22, 2008, 2:45 AM

Post #12 of 12 (2109 views)
Shortcut

i see... thanks for the info... appreciate it very much...

parvo at home...?? waiting for you to get back...Tongue

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my