First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 6, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #1 of 59 (3533 views)
Shortcut
General Health and Care for PUG Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm rusty, the pug and i'm 2 1/2 years old now. The reason i started this thread is because i would like to hear from new or experienced owners of pugs about the health and care. I always have skin problem ever since day one. It's not too major. It's like pimples. Sometimes only a few but sometimes a lot (u can see from the uneven coat). Mummy has consulted vets regarding this problem. I've tried shampoo prescribed by vet (pink in color) but din help at all. Recently, another vet put me on a antibiotic (and i hate those antibiotics) course for 2 weeks and at the same time using Malesab twice a week. It was good (the best I've ever seen cos i din shed) until the antibiotics finished. Now, i'm still using malesab once a week but the condition is like before again (i'm shedding a lot now Frown - at first i thot it could be the shedding season, but i doubt it now cos the pimples are slowly showing up again). I believe i can always go back to the vet and put be put on another 2-week antibiotics course (mind you, i really really hate it) but can this be a long term solution? So, anyone has any good recommendations?

I think I've tried everything suggested by the vet. From cod liver oil the evening primrose oil to supplements. I'm currently eating pro plan lamb & rice (yum yum Wink) and "IN" (my favourite). Anyone has experience with "IN". Is it really good?. The main reason i'm eating "IN" was becase mummy heard it could help with the skin problem.

so, i hope the pugs owners out there could give me some pointers ie. kibbles, supplements or even shampoo that's good/better for pugs.

Thanks all,

Rusty

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 6, 2003, 11:38 PM

Post #2 of 59 (3517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rusty_Boy] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

hello Rusty,
petsmart.com is always my favourite to visit. check this out about pug: www.petsmart.com/aspca/dogs/pug.shtml
Oh~ its "useless" to consult vet about skin allergies (pimples like) as they, as usual, will give you antibiotics. The problem is: You can't take anitibiotics for the rest of your life, can you?
Trivor has this kinda skin allergies too. Not to say she is totally cured, but the "pimples" have greatly reduced ever since I applied these:

(1) lamb and rice is good.
(2) Feed oatmeal. It really does wonders!! also, do bath with oatmeal-based shampoos if you can find one!
(3) I hardly can find oatmeal-based shampoo, so I substitute with Alor-based. It can be easily find from pet shops.
(4) feed acid supplement. Don't give him human vit C, that will cause more allergies!!
(5) Comb your dog everyday.
(6) apply the wounds with tea-tree oilment. I bought from pet shops. it smells good and non-poison.

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 7, 2003, 12:00 AM

Post #3 of 59 (3514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

hi SC~Smile

Could you please share more about this "oatmeal" advantages on pugs? Do you mean the raw oats to mix in dog food while cooking? or those ready-to-eat oatmeals such as granula bars?

I know we could search tru the web for such info, but still prefer to hav everything under this thread so it would be a lot easier to follow up in future for those who have questions about PUGS-care.

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 7, 2003, 1:42 AM

Post #4 of 59 (3510 views)
Shortcut

hi trivor,

thx for the info. i think mack has just asked part of the questions i have for u.....

1) can u tell me the brand of the shampoo that u're using (u may e-mail to me at liawhn@hotmail.com) if it's not convenient for u the mention it here. Wink

2) sorry, i'm really lazy, could u pls tell me the acid supplement that trivor is using as well?

3) i've already passed on combing Crazy. wat i do now is the put him on a chair and blow him with a fan (max. speed) and pet him vigorously so that all those loose fur will be blown away Blush.

I'll try to source for the tea-tree oilment and the others that u mentioned here.

p/s: dun forget to give me ur secret recipe on the oatmeal too Wink.

thank you very much,

rusty

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 7, 2003, 5:53 AM

Post #5 of 59 (3507 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
3) i've already passed on combing Crazy. wat i do now is the put him on a chair and blow him with a fan (max. speed) and pet him vigorously so that all those loose fur will be blown away Blush.

aaahahahaha i'm sorry but that is the funniest method i've heard so far, but its very imaginative of u LaughCool

Anyway just so you know, part of brushing a dog's hair is not just to get rid of excess dead hair but also to stimulate new hair growth.....although i like your method of the fan blowing lol

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 7, 2003, 11:06 AM

Post #6 of 59 (3503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Hhahahahaahahhahaha~~~~~~~~~LaughLaughLaugh

Gina, you are so funny!! made me laugh to imagine how you apply the same method on your JRT and the ears both flip back with the toungue out~Tongue

Well~ how if to comb in front of the fan? I think it's a good idea of Rusty_Boy & Gina!! Brushing the hair is good for blood circulation too, rite?

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 7, 2003, 9:44 PM

Post #7 of 59 (3498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ,
The instant one will be good. 1 1/2 table spoon once a week serve as breakfast. Sometimes I add garlic but Trivor doesn't like garlic Unsure
Oh, I don't give granula bars as they normally taste sweet & come with choc coating. And she will dislike her own food later haahaa~
I was also learning from my friend. Real life experience. Can't kinda get this detail info from web too...Laugh

~ Trivor ~

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 7, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #8 of 59 (3493 views)
Shortcut

Hello Rusty,
I learnt from a friend and so glad I can share the tips to others!!
Try to give orange to your dog. This is natural vit C. I share 1/2 orange with Trivor (pick the seeds out) twice a week. I also give her mangoes (now is the season) and raw carrots to chew. This will clean the teeth too! But remember, don't give too much orrr~

~ Trivor ~

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 7, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #9 of 59 (3493 views)
Shortcut

Quaker's oat??? use which kind of liquid/solution to soak/moist it??

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 7, 2003, 10:34 PM

Post #10 of 59 (3491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't work on mine coz he'll attack the fan TongueCrazy.....yah brushing is good for blood circulation thus stimulating hair growth Smile

If you get a pug next time, u can use this method lol

KawChai
Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2003, 1:03 AM

Post #11 of 59 (3482 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rusty Boy

My name is Yoda, I also have skin problem. I am eating SD lamb & Rice now. I start using malaseb when i am 3 months old Frown and my fur doesn't shine due to bathing with malaseb. Then mummy bought me vitamins for my skin and a new shampoo that good for my skin. But it doesn't work , i am back on malaseb.

Apart from that , i think i have demodex mange on my body, my fur is droping ( some) and there is this really thick dandruff kind come out together with my fur Unsure i am so scared. My mummy take me to doctor, and i was on antibiotic for 2 weeks too, i gets better. Mummy very happy...and now antibiotic finish...no more...and i start to have this THICK dandruff on my body again. I really really hate it.

Now i am eating immune system support vitamin...& still using malaseb....

Rusty boy, how does your antibiotics look like ? Izit those really HUGE pil

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

Jun 9, 2003, 4:43 PM

Post #12 of 59 (3472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KawChai] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Hie..

Ahh.... another one with demodex here. Sidnee also had demodex when she was 4 months old. I went through a series of harsh drugs & antibiotics with her. It was good while it lasted but once off the course, those skin problems came back.

Now, I don't give any medications (thank goodness). I bath Sidnee with malaseb once a week, use lemon tonic for skin. So far, pretty much under control. Occasionally there's one or two pimples.

I use an aryuvedic cream which is very effective on Sidnee. Each time she develops a few bumps, few dabs of the ointment will settle the problem. Now I keep two tubes of the ointment at home to 'jaga pintu'.

Food wise, I feed homemade meals with supplements. Over the last few months, I find that her skin problem was much under control since I added fresh food to her diet.

Her meals mainly consist of:
1. Mutton or Poultry or Pork
2. Any combination of vege (her fav now, is cabbage)
3. Potatoes or rice or oatmeal or macaroni
4. Lamb & Rice Kibbles
5. Supplements & Probiotics
6. Fruits

+ Frequent Grooming, aryuvedic cream whenever necessary.

Acid supplement is suitable? Is it alright to get Vit C for pets? Sidnee hates oranges.

Trivor, can you please email me (wlaiwan@time.net.my) the brand of shampoo you are using? I would like to try something different as Malaseb may be a bit too harsh for Sidnee if used frequently.

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 9, 2003, 7:03 PM

Post #13 of 59 (3469 views)
Shortcut

Hi, SC, I had just bought an anti-itchi oatmeal based shampoo last week, in Penang. You can get it in some of the petshops in Penang. I don know whether I can mentioned the brand here, but it is a very famous brand Wink.

Smile Eliza

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 9, 2003, 8:36 PM

Post #14 of 59 (3463 views)
Shortcut

hi ginl,

hehe. have u tried it on ur furkid? Wink

i do hope that it's not wrong to do that Unsure. can anybody tell me if i'm wrong? i should say that i actually comb him using my bare fingers in front of the fan Smile.

rusty

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 9, 2003, 8:40 PM

Post #15 of 59 (3462 views)
Shortcut

hi ginl,

hahahha. u really tried that method? hahahahhaha. did u put ur furkid on a chair so that he'll be too afraid to attack the fan.

i was hoping u and ur furkid could enjoy my "lazy-combing" method Tongue.

rusty

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 9, 2003, 8:44 PM

Post #16 of 59 (3461 views)
Shortcut

hi trivor,

thx for ur tips. i've yet to try the oatmeal. in fact, i just tried the yoghurt and he loves it Laugh. so i am thinking of mixing the oatmeal with the yoghurt the next time.

thx,

rusty

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 9, 2003, 8:49 PM

Post #17 of 59 (3459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KawChai] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kawchai,

it seems like we facing the same problem Unsure. the antibiotic is in a capsule (normal size like those capsules for human) form (blue capsule and white powder in it). i really have problem forcing down rusty's throat.

i'm still trying some recipes supplied by other dog owners. will let u know if there's any improvements.

good luck with yoda! Wink

rusty

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 9, 2003, 10:47 PM

Post #18 of 59 (3453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eliza~

Could you please tell us the Brand of the anti-itchi oatmeal based shampoo ?? (it should be okay since we not sharing not advertisingWinkTongue)

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 10, 2003, 5:46 AM

Post #19 of 59 (3445 views)
Shortcut

Is it bio groom? Is it? Is it? huh huh huh? Is it? Tongue
Cos i think they hv oatmeal and tea tree oil based shampoo which are good for itching.

(This post was edited by ginl on Jun 10, 2003, 5:48 AM)

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 10, 2003, 5:05 PM

Post #20 of 59 (3439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl&mackmack] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya, it is bio-groom natural oatmeal anti-itch shampoo. I haven't start using it, so don know how the result yet Smile.

Smile Eliza

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 10, 2003, 5:14 PM

Post #21 of 59 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Really??
wowww, that's good news!! May I know where is the pet shop? I mean, where is it located?

~ Trivor ~

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 10, 2003, 5:33 PM

Post #22 of 59 (3436 views)
Shortcut

I bought it from K9, but I had saw it in other petshops in Penang too.

Smile Eliza

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 10, 2003, 7:17 PM

Post #23 of 59 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Eliza~

Please update us the "result" after you try it on Yippi and Yummy okay?

But I'm still wondering if it's good for PUG?

(This post was edited by mackmack on Jun 10, 2003, 7:19 PM)

archer
K9 Senior

Jun 10, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #24 of 59 (3427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there guys n gals, have been following this thread since it started, however I'm not able to contribute any ideas or thoughts. Pugs do seem a lil prone to skin problems. Yoda too recently developed pimples* on his head, his neck and some on his body. Amazingly they seem to resize (smaller) in a day or 2 n disappears, while some others develope. For this I have no idea wat to do as it seems to be an on n off thingie. Also he seems to be scratching quite often, however when I go check, there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary, at least to the human eye. Also of late he has been shedding terribly, it's well documented that pugs shed a lot but I dun really know how much alot is. I know however each time I play with him, i'll b filled with puggie fur also when I brush my fingers truh his coat, can actually see 'fur in the air', also his fur ain't looking too good either, wonder if he's shedding his puppy fur ... at 3 months +?

thanks to rusty_boy for starting this thread as it will not only benefit pug owners but other breeds too!
Cheers!

visit the pug thread...

(This post was edited by archer on Jun 10, 2003, 7:53 PM)

Rusty_Boy
K9 Maniac

Jun 10, 2003, 9:08 PM

Post #25 of 59 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [archer] General Health and Care for PUG [In reply to] Can't Post

hi archer,

no prob. i'm sure we are all benefiting from the info here.

i do think the problem we are facing is quite common with pugs. also all of the pug owners have such problem.

btw, i just remembered that the lady from a pet shop told me that i can try boiling water cos the red marks may be caused by heatiness. i've tried it but rusty din like it without sugar and lucky thing he like the barkey itself Wink.

i've also gave him watermelon last night and he loved it. can finish one whole bowl. can anyone tell me if watermelon is harmful for dogs? or else, i think watermelon can help to bring down the heat Laugh.

anyone here tried the oatmeal shampoo by cardinal? is it good?

rusty

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my