Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Shake hand puppy

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 11, 2002, 5:52 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1901 views)
Shortcut
Shake hand puppy Can't Post

Joon Keet, to train your puppy on how to shake hands is the same way as how u train your puppy how to sit, down, stay, etc....use his favourite treats or toys for the training. Get him on a sitting position and lift his hand at the same time say the command "shake hands", then reward him with his treat and praise him for it. Do this several times and soon your puppy will know what to do. Remember, if he doesn't shake hands on command do not reward him. Try to do your training daily so that your puppy will remember them better....after all practice makes perfect.....happy training Smile

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 11, 2002, 6:16 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Shake hand puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Excuse me for a slight correction and I wish to offer my humble opinion.
When you train a dog for anything, try to use simple and one syllable words. I found it quite common for 'trainers' to give doggie command such as 'come here' etc. Dogs will and can only recognised the first sound you made. For example if you have a dog name Biscuit. You can make him respond equally well with just Bis.
Similarly, if you want to teach your dog to shake hand, all you need is one word, either shake or hand.
My 1/2 sen worth of opinion.

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 11, 2002, 7:10 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Shake hand puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you're right. It's better to hv one syllable for a better understanding. I haven't been able to teach him to shake hands yet coz I haven't fully got thru to his thick dog skull that nipping and bitting is a no no....he still does it on and off and each time I tried to lift his hand nip nip nip...one of these days i'm going to nip it in his butt Unimpressed

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 11, 2002, 7:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Shake hand puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

There is an effective way to stop your dog from nipping. Nip him back, but not on his butt.

agd
Novice

May 11, 2002, 1:17 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Shake hand puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I used the command "Give Paw" and point. Ariel usually starts of with her right. After I shake her paw I would say "Other Paw" and point to the left and she obliges. Again, giving her treats and alot of encouragement works. Sometimes in order to confuse her I begin by asking for the left one first, as she automatically starts on her right. Anyway, she's get the message and adjust accordingly. My friend's Schnauzers can performs a few tricks well. I'm just trying a few I seen around. Definately you need patience and love. After all, it we could talk "Dog Language" we could probably get them to do it once.
On the other hand our Dog would probably be thinking "What's this fool saying.eh?". Therefore, it important to know how to get the most out of you friend.

My 1/4 cents worth.................

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my