Hypomyelination

dna2
Novice

Mar 19, 2008, 6:27 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Hypomyelination Can't Post

greeting to all.

Mary is street female dog i adopted from street. just 4mths old.

recently, i found she have problem getting sleep, because her left hand is keep shaking all the time. Even caused her to fall down while walking.

I google and found there is something call:

Hypomyelination is a disorder of myelin formation. It affects the central nervous system, and is reported in most domestic animals. Although in many cases a genetic basis has been demonstrated, several viruses have been implicated and the possibility of toxic or nutritional factors such as thiamine deficiency, should not be ruled out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6B_rt46awc

The vet Mary visit said just give some pil on improve nervous system will do, but they do not have this pil.

anyone hit this before?

(This post was edited by dna2 on Mar 19, 2008, 6:29 PM)

supermutts
K9 Senior

Mar 20, 2008, 11:59 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dna2] Hypomyelination [In reply to] Can't Post

i think this is something very rare, where are u from ?
maybe u ought to seek more vet's opinion, if its not life threatening, then should worry too much, just need to keep an eye on the dog...

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 21, 2008, 2:35 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dna2] Hypomyelination [In reply to] Can't Post

ya...as i had always said, it is better if u were to seek for a second opinion from another vet...who knows, he might have a better solution for you.

dna2
Novice

Mar 21, 2008, 8:40 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Hypomyelination [In reply to] Can't Post

reply from SPCA: Hypomyelination is a disorder of myelin formation. It affects the central nervous system, and is reported in most domestic animals. Although in many cases a genetic basis has been demonstrated, several viruses have been implicated and the possibility of toxic or nutritional factors such as thiamine deficiency, should not be ruled out.

There is no specific treatment for hypomyelination. If given the time to develop normal or further myelin, some animals with congenital hypomyelination syndromes become normal by the age of 12-18 months. If your puppy continues to have severe symptoms, do take it to a vet for further consultation.

All the best!
Kindest Regards,
Farida Mazlan
Junior PR & Marketing Officer
SPCA Selangor *************************** will checkout the vet later.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my