Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
BITING HAND

joonkeet

Apr 11, 2002, 3:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2519 views)
Shortcut
BITING HAND Can't Post

HEllo,

My shih tzu are able to play fetch fetch with me...eventhough he has no idea what's that word mean. So whenever I roll his toy ball he will bring back the ball excitedly......coz......the reward is to BITE my hand off! Of course I did not encourage him to do that, but he seems to be doing it since the day he got the idea of fetching the ball.

Any idea how to stop him from biting but still maintain the fetching session?

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 11, 2002, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joonkeet] BITING HAND [In reply to] Can't Post

Joseph.
If you don't mind me saying so, can you please be a little bit more resourceful.
With this topic on bitting hands we already have discussed it umpteem times in this forum and yet you don't even bother to search for the answers.
It is a matter of time that every post you make will be locked because this forum will have so many repeatedly questions and will cause confusion to new members, thus making it not so user friendly. Surely, you could help by being a little bit careful and user friendly.

(This post was edited by Derrickok on Apr 11, 2002, 5:00 PM)

joonkeet

Apr 11, 2002, 6:11 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] BITING HAND [In reply to] Can't Post

Derrick
Yes, I did surf through the biting topics in this part of forum. The posts here are very resourceful.

What I am trying to say is that how to let him know that biting is not the reward but yet still will not scare him off the fetching session?

With the tricks that was posted in this part, most of it stated to whack ~~whack ..hehe , what I am afraid is that he might get the wrong idea that I say NO to fetching rather than biting. Well, this guy here is a bit scady cat sometimes. I would not want to scare him of this wonderful session we have.

Whenever he bite after fetching the ball, I will try to raise my hand just to show that I will hit him. But what happened was that he kinda just lay down ..so the session ends. Or just wiggles away and come back to bite. So I dun want him to misunderstand my intention.

Any idea? Crazy

Regards
Joseph

Consult a vet. Be kind to pet

Pat

Apr 15, 2002, 10:31 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joonkeet] BITING HAND [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Why don't you replace the session after biting with the giving of treats , then praise it lavishly while it is enjoying the treat. You need to break the routine by substituting the biting as a reward with a real reward. I should think that each time it comes back to you after the fetch, the treat would distract his urge to bite?

You need to be patient and repeat till the bad habit stops.

Regards,

PAtricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my