Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
do we need to import dogs?

danielle
Novice

Mar 8, 2008, 6:21 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3182 views)
Shortcut
do we need to import dogs? Can't Post

Is it common for some of you people here to import your favourite dog from a foreign country? like umm....St. Bernard, Boxer, Ridgeback, Mastiffs, Pitbulls...just wondering if they're imported as I haven't came across any breeders of these breeds in Malaysia so far. Anyone would kindly share??

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2008, 4:25 AM

Post #2 of 10 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danielle] do we need to import dogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure there are no breeders of these breeds in malaysia? And do you know some of the breed u mention is being banned on importation so onli locally bred ones are found? Think you bettter do a bit of research first..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Mar 11, 2008, 7:46 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3077 views)
Shortcut

*ahem* *ahem* agree with yen. *Hi yen, long time no chat. yay yay I am fnally out of Ipoh and back in KL*

technically ah, if u check gov websites, there is a list of banned breeds. Totally cannot bring in according to them.

but when I brought back my dog for US last time, I spoke to the asst head of vet dept and she said there is no such thing as total banned. Just that different restriction levels, they have different quarantine periods. Some dogs quarantined up till more than 30days, while others just 7 days. She did mentioned that breeds that tend to have higher tendencies of aggression will be quaratined longer. Crazy

then again, tMalaysia Boleh! mah...... so one fella can be saying A and another saying D. Oh well.....Tongue

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2008, 7:58 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] do we need to import dogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Waiting for you to come back and visit me with your dogs... Haha.. Anyway congratulations on your new job.. Hope you like it.

kemin
New User

Apr 7, 2008, 1:51 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Does anyone here have any experience in importing puppies from overseas breeder? Am looking to purchase basset hounds, would appreciate any advice on problems or difficulties encounerted while importing especially customs and quarantine issues. Thanks for any info!

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 7, 2008, 4:48 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kemin] do we need to import dogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kemin...this is just my 2 cents...please don't get upset if what i am saying doesn't really go down with you well...actually there is nothing wrong in importing a particular breed if you have the money...but do you actually know how many dogs you can save from being put down with that amount of money? importing a dog from overseas will easily cost 20k...with that amount of money, you can easily save more than 100 dogs locally...i understand that u might have a particular interest in owning these specific breeds...but please do give this a kind thought...the dogs that u intend to import, will get a good home anyhow...but among those 100 dogs, less than 50 % will actually survive or be adopted from a loving family...with that kind of financial resources, they will be allowed to live because all dogs deserve at least a life...more and more rescuers and dog lovers are doing rehomings for these dogs...you can actually notice there are a lot here...all of us are giving what we are able to give for them...those who have the time, search for potential adopters, those who have the money, contributes to the respective associations, those who doesn't have the time and money, helps to look for adopters for any particular dog at any place...all this will help to create more and more awareness in the community...so i will seriously hope that you reconsider in not paying such a hefty sum for one dog...but saving 100 dogs that deserve a better life...Smile

kemin
New User

Apr 7, 2008, 9:58 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] do we need to import dogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello chrislimyy, Didn't know it cost >RM20k to import a dog??? Can you break down some of the cost involved as I have never imported anything other than industrial parts for my company. On your thoughts on saving dogs from euthanisia, I definitely agree with you on the need to save these dogs from bad homes and neglect or abusive owners, however owining a breed of your choice is a different matter from saving dogs. I view saving these stray dogs as part of doing charity, which I have always played my part, now that I know what you speak of (the 100s of homeless dogs), will surely look at how I can help out in the future. My intention to import basset hound is driven by the fact that there are no breeders here who has bassets with great bloodline. Owning one of these lovely dogs have been a long time dream, of course if it is really <rm20k to import a puppy, I'd not even entertain this thought in the first place. SmileWink

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 9, 2008, 6:36 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1537 views)
Shortcut

20k... I am not so sure but it depends from which country you import it from and also depends on size and weight.. I am not so familiar with it also.. but i know a fren of mine imported his 2 JRt's from australia a few years ago and it costs 12k.. Now dunno what's the price like also.. Nothing wrong importing good bloodlines for a passion but i hope it is not for breeding purposes..

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 9, 2008, 8:40 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1515 views)
Shortcut

for the details i believe i won't be able to help u much...never imported one before...it's quite true there are not much good bloodline basset hounds locally...and i doubt you will be able to find much info from local breeders...so won't know on how i can help u in this...haha

zephyros
Canine Addict

Apr 10, 2008, 9:17 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1446 views)
Shortcut

not too sure about > 20k part but from my experience the cost comes from

1) import license

2) originating vet certification of your dog's health ( there is a minimum amount of shots and age for your dog to be imported)

3) Airticket cost (cargo bay MUST be pressure controled and for transportation of live stocks)

4) Quaratine cost (including food and boarding)

5) Paperwork cost to clear customs and tax (if applicable)

6) of course the cost of the dog itself

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my