Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle?

monsterdemon
New User

Mar 6, 2008, 9:30 PM

Post #1 of 11 (26463 views)
Shortcut
how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? Can't Post

hello everybody, just wondering how can i toilet train 4 months old poodle?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 7, 2008, 9:12 AM

Post #2 of 11 (26454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monsterdemon] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

1st, choose a place where you want your Poodle to do its business. Forget about paper training, it hardly works I tell you. It's not natural for the dog to do in on paper. Bring it to the grass. Most dogs will naturally do it on grass. If you've got no time to bring it for walks becoz you live in an apartment, then bring the grass to your dog by buying a piece of carpet grass or cutting a patch of grass from somewhere & placing it on a trap or newspapers in your bathroom or even kitchen or where ever lah you think it's suitable. If you want to train it do it in cage, then cage it after eating time. Every time it does it in there, praise it. That's it!

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Mar 7, 2008, 9:17 AM)

klk
New User

Mar 14, 2008, 2:18 AM

Post #3 of 11 (25907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monsterdemon] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

It is possible to paper train your dog (afterall poodle is the 2nd most intelligent breed) and I think it won't be difficult. My wife and I started to paper train our MS when she is only 2 months old and the whole process took 1 month. Now, she is free to roam around our apartment and she will find her way back to the toilet where we lay the newspapers to do her business. There are many suggestion in this forum that gives sound advise on how to train your pup. Just take your time to browse around. All the best !

monsterdemon
New User

Mar 15, 2008, 1:25 AM

Post #4 of 11 (25762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [klk] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks guys for your reply will try to do the following ways that you guys propose. Frown

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 18, 2008, 1:54 AM

Post #5 of 11 (24855 views)
Shortcut

paper, plastic, cloth anything will work. my maltese will weepoo on anything i place in his tray. as long as your pup is used to where it should do the business, such as a tray(for indoors) it will be very easy. i've changed from just the tray to newspaper, to tray, to weeweepads(currently using). no issues.

monsterdemon
New User

Mar 18, 2008, 8:42 PM

Post #6 of 11 (24748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your suggestions, will try and work on those suggestions given. FrownSmile

Forever
Novice

Dec 10, 2010, 3:42 PM

Post #7 of 11 (20047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [klk] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Can you share with me your experience what is the method to train?

wploo02
Novice

Dec 11, 2010, 12:33 AM

Post #8 of 11 (20038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Forever] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

ya, I'm oso use the tray n wee wee pad. r effective way to train our puppies.

huat
Novice

Dec 11, 2010, 11:24 AM

Post #9 of 11 (20021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wploo02] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

toilet training is a very very proactive training regime, meaning you must be taking part as well.

you can expect the dog to do his business at a designated place without proper guidance.

dogs will always give out signal when they are about to do their business, eg - sniffing around, walking around the same place as if they are finding something.

when ever you see your dog behaving/acting like this, you should bring him to a place or plot where you want him to do his business, it better if you can relate a command with it if possible, for example, hurry up, go potty etc. this is useful later on when you need to bring your dog else where and need him to pee/poo at certain place.

dont stay at the pee/poo spot too long, if the dog dont do his business within 5-10min, bring him back to his playpen or crate or somewhere further away, so he wont relate the pee/poo place with play.

wait maybe another 10min than bring him back again and give the command to do business(go potty/hurry up)

if he does his business, praise lavishly, and if theres treat, give to the dog, but make sure is within 3-5second after he does his business, if you give treat after 3 - 5 second, the dog wont be able to relate pee/poo at that place as good behaviour.

poodle/lab are all smart dog, it take about amonth for them to master it, but "accident" still will happen when they are still puppy. so always keep an eye on them.

Forever
Novice

Dec 20, 2010, 4:48 AM

Post #10 of 11 (19831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [huat] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

My poodle a little big different, once i see her wanna to do business i quickly bring her to the prepared place but immediate she will stop to do the business.

I also try put the paper when i see her wanna do business, same thing she will stop do the business.......

But i have trained her for 2 weeks plus, at least she start to do business on the right place but as still some accident happen la ....

huat
Novice

Dec 20, 2010, 7:49 AM

Post #11 of 11 (19824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Forever] how do i toilet train 4 months old poodle? [In reply to] Can't Post

the key word is being consistent.... and always be ready for accident =)

Good Luck and all the best.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my