Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How to get pup's full attention?

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2008, 5:05 AM

Post #1 of 22 (5393 views)
Shortcut
How to get pup's full attention? Can't Post

well, my 6 months plus lab can't pay full attention to me during training at the training classes.. This make her progress really slow..

When I practice with her at home (inside the house), no problem at all.. But, when I bring her outside my house to train her in the garden this afternoon, she couldn't pay attention and wanna play with my senior dog .. Even food can't get her attention..

At the training class, even worse.. cause she'll look around at other dogs, not me.. so, need to pull her for heeling.. I know it's not good to use choke chain and pull her like that.. but, what else can I do?? please tell me..

Thanks..

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 5, 2008, 7:48 AM

Post #2 of 22 (5384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there again!

ALL 1st time dog handlers will get very stressed up about this paying attention problem. It's very normal. All my dogs were like this during their 1st few puppy classes. It's perfectly normal for all new comers to not pay attention to their owners.

The reason why? There are sooo much more interesting stuff to look at & sniff, lots of distractions, sounds, dogs, people, all types of stuff! Why pay attention to my owner when I can have more fun with the other stuff out here? All dogs will do well at home but once outside, pening wor!

So, upon reaching your training ground, let her do everything that she wants to do 1st before you start your class. Let her sniff everything, do her business, meet & play with other dogs till she's all satisfied & a bit tired. It's so much easier to handle a tired dog then a hyper active one...

Before you start training, take out a very loud squeaky ball & play with her. Don't let her play with the ball too long coz you don't want her to get bored with it. Do some recall exercises. Play type of recall. Run backwards & call her enthusiastically with a very high voice whilst squeaking the ball. When she comes towards you without you having to pull or tug her, praise her & play fetch.

The whole idea of this is that you want to get her attention. Later on, even at home you can do this, do the same thing again & then ask her to sit in front of you & ask her to "watch" you. Point your finger at your eye. The moment she watches you, just for 1 second, praise her & reward. This command is actually very hard to teach. Some dogs can take up to months or even a year or more to learn this command. Amber still can't do it for long while heeling...

Anyway, you can then slowly progress by asking her to sit in the heel position & ask her to "watch" you. Once she watches you in the eye, praise & reward. Make sure the squeaky ball is still in your hand. Make sure she can see it too. Take a few heeling steps & then reward by throwing the ball. You can also try & put the ball under your armpit & ask her to look there while heeling but only take two or three steps. Take it slow...

In a few days, your dog will be able to pay attention to you. But if you keep bringing your dog to the training ground every week without fail, she will get used to the surroundings & all & she will not be so gila outside. Now she's still young, she has only been to two or three classes, 1st time seeing sooo many dogs, people & other stuff around her. Give her time. Amber took about 3 to 4 months till she actually calmed down. I wouldn't say she was really paying attention to me but she was a LOT calmer then the 1st few weeks. So this takes time...

Try training her more in your yard, on the road so that she will get used to all the distractions. Try not to train her in your home anymore unless it is raining, then you'll have no choice. I started training Amber outside our house on the road since she was still in puppy class. She could already down stay off-leash while other dogs & people walking pass by her the age of 5 mths.

This will take time but not to worry, she will calm down & pay attention to you one fine day...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Mar 5, 2008, 7:55 AM)

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2008, 3:56 AM

Post #3 of 22 (5350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advice, I'll try it starting tomorrow.. :)

hope that it works.. cause she really didn't do much in the last 2 classes..

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 1, 2008, 7:27 PM

Post #4 of 22 (5140 views)
Shortcut

Hey, how's her progress now?

mickey123
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008, 3:16 PM

Post #5 of 22 (5101 views)
Shortcut

well, she did improve a lot.. she can follow my command "heel", "sit", "down".. but, the sit and stay command.. will need to practice more...

just that I missed the class last week.. so, don't know how will she perform tomorrow.. hahahahah Crazy

mickey123
Enthusiast

May 11, 2008, 9:43 PM

Post #6 of 22 (4871 views)
Shortcut

she still can't sit and stay there for a long while.. may be she's still young??

when we tried to train her at home.. she's ok.. but, when she's in the class, she can't??? she'll start moving after a short while.. sigh.. Pirate

may I know how to make her stay for a longer period?

and the stand and stay command too.. it's even worst.. she'll walk when I walk... Crazy

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 13, 2008, 11:09 PM

Post #7 of 22 (4731 views)
Shortcut

There's no short cut to it le.. You have to make her stay for maybe 10 seconds then release her then slowly increase the time. I have managed to get my puppy to stay for more than a minute now. After she understand the sit stay or down stay then only you do the stand stay. Dun stress her with too many types of stay at the same time. Correct her the moment she moves.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

mickey123
Enthusiast

May 14, 2008, 4:21 AM

Post #8 of 22 (4708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your reply.. :)

well, she got no patient at all.. hahha.. may be she's just a 8 month old puppy..

just now I tried to practise with her.. she's ok with all the heal, sit, left turn, right turn, about turn.. her sit and stay can last for about 30 sec.. ;) got improvement.. but, she doesn't want to do the down command.. she'll only do the down command when I have food on my hand.. Pirate and of course inside the house, without leash and choke chain..

when she has choke chain and leash on her.. she won't do the down command when I ask her to.. Pirate don't know why?? need food again? sigh... Unsure

I found out that she will only follow my command when her mood is good... Pirate if I let her stay too long.. she will ignore anything I told her to do... Pirate

mickey123
Enthusiast

May 14, 2008, 4:21 AM

Post #9 of 22 (4708 views)
Shortcut

thanks for your reply.. :)

well, she got no patient at all.. hahha.. may be she's just a 8 month old puppy..

just now I tried to practise with her.. she's ok with all the heal, sit, left turn, right turn, about turn.. her sit and stay can last for about 30 sec.. ;) got improvement.. but, she doesn't want to do the down command.. she'll only do the down command when I have food on my hand.. Pirate and of course inside the house, without leash and choke chain..

when she has choke chain and leash on her.. she won't do the down command when I ask her to.. Pirate don't know why?? need food again? sigh... Unsure

I found out that she will only follow my command when her mood is good... Pirate if I let her stay too long.. she will ignore anything I told her to do... Pirate so, what to do ?

(This post was edited by mickey123 on May 14, 2008, 4:24 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 14, 2008, 5:20 AM

Post #10 of 22 (4700 views)
Shortcut

At this age it is definitely too much for her. Stay is very tricky. I got a real qualified profesional trainer to help me to make her stay for more than a minute and also to do the down command perfectly. Some dogs don't like to do down as they see it as being submissive. Make sure your timing is right. Giving treats and praising and correcting at the right time will teach her better. Definitely you have to start off with food/toy untill she understands that command very well then only u take away the food. training the right way is very important if not you will have many corrections to do later on if you want to send her to competitions.Mine doesn't know many commands but she can do them perfectly and will do it on the first command. Repeating is definitely not good. And mine is bout 9 months old. Maybe you are going a bit too fast on her. Perfecting the commands is more important than learning a thousand commands and they can't do it correctly.

mickey123
Enthusiast

May 22, 2008, 5:32 AM

Post #11 of 22 (4511 views)
Shortcut

hi,

today I found out that, she'll listen to what I said if I raise the newspaper "stick" Pirate cause just now when she was trying to chase the senior dog out of the house (she's staying in the house, while the senior dog is living outside) and she's pretty rough to the senior dog.. so, I said no to her, tried to stop her from hurting the senior dog.. and she suddenly jumped up and tried to bite my hand.. I was angry and bring the newspaper "stick" telling her that she did something naughty (she knows naughty means bad to her).. she tried to escape, but failed at the end.. so, I told her to sit and down.. she did it perfectly.. and I sat in front of her telling her to "stay".. and she really stayed for quite some time until the senior dog come near me and tried to get my attention.. Crazy

but I'm sure that during the test, she needs to listen to my command.. not the newspaper "stick".. Unsure

I think I'll need to pay another RM 30 to repeat the course cause I heard that the test is coming soon... ahahhahah... Laugh (the trainer told me last weekend if my furkid fail the test, she'll need to pay RM 30 to repeat the course.)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 22, 2008, 7:15 AM

Post #12 of 22 (4502 views)
Shortcut

try not to use the 'stick'. Best way is to do a positive training environment for her or she'll not listen when the 'stick' is not around.

mickey123
Enthusiast

May 23, 2008, 7:00 AM

Post #13 of 22 (4474 views)
Shortcut

thanks Yen for the advice.. :) I will try again with patient then... Laugh

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 23, 2008, 7:08 PM

Post #14 of 22 (4450 views)
Shortcut

training is not about passing test or graduating.. the main objective is for owner to learn how to control your dog.

if u think u have already learn all the techniques that the trainer had taught u, paying extra RM30 will not help much. u just need to practise more at home.

when your dog is misbehaving, don't threaten her with 'weapon'. instead get a reward, food or toy and redirect her attention to u.

don't be afraid of using overdose of treats to get your dog to work. and be hardworking, make sure u practise with her everyday.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

mickey123
Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2008, 2:02 AM

Post #15 of 22 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks amanda.. :)

well, she's doing well at home.. just that when she goes to the training class, sees lot of dogs.. then, that's a different story already.. sigh..

dannysao
Dog Kichi

Jul 15, 2008, 5:51 AM

Post #16 of 22 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Hi
Can I know where you attend the training class and what is the cost? I got a 3 months GSD, tried myself for the treat training, failed badly, she is keen on the food then anything..so thinking of attending some class to get some fundamental technique to growth with.
dannysao

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 15, 2008, 3:38 PM

Post #17 of 22 (3785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dannysao] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I know you are in cheras would advise you to come to a very good trainer which holds her class in BU central park. Let me know if you need the contact. Anyway mickey is from Ipoh..

dannysao
Dog Kichi

Jul 15, 2008, 5:20 PM

Post #18 of 22 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Hi
Where is BU Central Park? Bandar Utama< damansara? if yes, no la, too far, wasted alot of time travelling.
Need some where in cheras.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 15, 2008, 5:51 PM

Post #19 of 22 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dannysao] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes in Damansara. For a good trainer and to let your pup have good training it's really not too far. Am not sure of any in Cheras.

ntfantasy
Novice

Aug 1, 2008, 7:31 AM

Post #20 of 22 (3435 views)
Shortcut

hi.. my yoyo now already 5M.O.. she can sit, hand,wait-go, jump..

but i things is she oni will do this if got foods on my hand..haha.. and

evertime when i am gonna feed her she will pee>.<.. any suggestion that

will solve this problem?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 1, 2008, 8:31 PM

Post #21 of 22 (3423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ntfantasy] How to get pup's full attention? [In reply to] Can't Post

ask her to do 2 commands then onli give food slowly take away the food.. pee might be cos she's over excited. Let her come to u for the food not go to her. very hard to give solutions co si dunno how u train ur dog as in wat methods so i can't give exact advise.

ntfantasy
Novice

Aug 1, 2008, 9:28 PM

Post #22 of 22 (3419 views)
Shortcut

oh.. its this oni will happen when the dog is still small?? before i giv her foods i always ask her to do few command 1st.. but when i was preparin the food, and she hear the sound i preparin thn she will bark,and very exited thn pee~... haha

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my