Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Found tick on my dog's body

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Mar 3, 2008, 9:59 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3179 views)
Shortcut
Found tick on my dog's body Can't Post

Hi, I have just found a tick on my dog this morning. Honestly speaking, I dunno where he got the tick from as I dun bring him

downstairs. He is on revolution all this while. Do I still need to get a tick shampoo for him? Is there anything else I need to use

to prevent him from getting ticks next time. I have looked thru every single corner in the house and also his carrier but found no

ticks. How can I be sure that my house is free from ticks .Thanks in advance.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 4, 2008, 11:30 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickeymummy] Found tick on my dog's body [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! So you mean your dog never comes downstairs at all? Not even go outside in the porch to do business or go on the grass to do so? Hmm, weird that he got a tick but sometimes, ticks can come from anywhere. If you only found one & found none anymore do far in your room, no need to panic too much lah. It's just a small thing. If really teruk only, then need to bathe with tick shampoo or Bayticol. I you want to prevent, just put on Frontline Spot On lor...

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Mar 4, 2008, 8:34 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Found tick on my dog's body [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi! So you mean your dog never comes downstairs at all? Not even go outside in the porch to do business or go on the grass to do so? Hmm, weird that he got a tick but sometimes, ticks can come from anywhere. If you only found one & found none anymore do far in your room, no need to panic too much lah. It's just a small thing. If really teruk only, then need to bathe with tick shampoo or Bayticol. I you want to prevent, just put on Frontline Spot On lor...

Hi, thanks for your reply. my dog is paper trained. so he only do his business at home on the paper. I only bring him out when I go to my mom's place or my inlaws place. Think he got the tick either from the grooming center or the vet as I only brought him to these two places recently. I couldn't find any ticks from his body today. Look thru the place that he sleeps and also his carrier but couldn't any. I really hope that it is just an isolated case. He is already on revolution which is suppose to kill ticks and fleas. He is on that even since 5 months old. Hope that he is ok.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 4, 2008, 10:25 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3150 views)
Shortcut

don't worry don't panic npnp

fleas and ticks are a norm no matter how careful u are. they will come from your garden, from downstairs, your cloths, anywhere, anytime. my pup was infested when was rescued but he's doing well. if ur worried u can try drowning those u can't see. i usually give me pups a good soak in the tub after going out. they were afraid at first but after a while they learnt to relax in the nice warm water filled tub.

usually i let them soak for like 3-5 mins longer if they wanna play. usually if there are any fleas or ticks they would drown by then lol. frontline doesn't prevent, actually. the ticks and fleas will have to bite your pup first. the poison from frontline actually seaps under your dog's skin and is circulated throughout the body. so when the blood suckers bite, they get poisoned and dies.

so don't worry. sometimes when u dog scratches it's not always fleas also. sometimes it's just ants or just the occasional itch like we have too. :D

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Mar 5, 2008, 7:20 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Found tick on my dog's body [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for your reply. Ya, I do agree with u that I am a bit kan jong but that's because my dog's immunity is pretty low and I am afraid that he might get tick fever. When u said u soak your dog in warm water after a walk, u mean just water or do u add anything inside the water? My dog is currently on revolution which I heard it works the same as frontline. Anyway, the tick that I found on him is quite small. Still brown in colour, haven't turn grey yet. Does that means that the tick has not sucked alot of blood? If it is small, does that means that it will not lay eggs?

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 5, 2008, 9:59 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3118 views)
Shortcut

as for the soaking in water part, they roam the house the whole week but gets to go out and play only on weekends. so their bath day is also the weekend, right after they come back home. their play areas consist of grass, sand and sea...so they will get pretty dirty. i don't use any medication and stuff, i just use normal doggy shampoo. and i think i mistyped again...was at work. Soaking in water doesn't always drown the ticks. some would actually still survive a flush down the toilet.

what i do is,

brush out any leaves, grass, sand and foreign objects. Remove any ticks if seen at this point.

then comb out any tangles should your dog have any.

thoroughly wet your dog, and use sufficient amount of shampoo.

this is where the soaking begins, after the shampooing i usually soak the furball in a small round pail. the size of the pail is about his height, just enough to cover his body with his head resting on the pail when the water is full. but don't get those huge ones that your dog can roam around lol you want him to stay put. rub a bit to work some soap and water in case u missed some spots

rinse and condition (if u use then rinse again)

fill with clean water again and let soak. by now if there are any ticks or debris left you should be able to see it easily as the fur will usually float gently in the water. you can easily remove them should u see any.

note though: when removing any ticks...do NOT press on the body. if u can find one, get those tick removal tweezers. there was one i saw that let's you slide along your dog's body and removes the tick from the bite area itself. reason for removing the tick from the head area is so that you will not accidentally press and cause saliva or any germs from the tick's system back into your dog.

ALSO before someone starts shooting my head off again: as ticks only breathe a few times per hour and feeding may thus continue for some time, and because these approaches may irritate the tick to the point of regurgitation of bacteria into the bloodstream.

Soooooo my approach is not perfect, just my opinion and what i do to remove ticks. it's up to anyone to improvise or consider only. to 100% kill them, after removal either drown them in alcohol or burn them to be 100% sure they are kaput

for more info on ticks u can go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick

avcafe1
Novice

Apr 1, 2008, 12:58 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2957 views)
Shortcut

To share with you, I find rice venigar to be very effective in ticks treatment.

Similiar usage as Frontline Spray, spray the rice vinegar onto the the dogs body until basically the whole body gets wet and let them get dry naturally.

In fact, i need only 1 time of spray to eliminate the ticks.

It is effective using vinegar even if u find tick on human body.

'Use less chemical for a greener and safer enviroment'

zephyros
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2008, 1:13 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [avcafe1] Found tick on my dog's body [In reply to] Can't Post

rice vinegar hmmm good to know. any side effects or allergy that you've noticed? i'm gonna try a little on their feet or tails first to see how well they'll handle it before i'll go whole body. since it's got vinegar will be quite harsh on the puppy's skin

avcafe1
Novice

Apr 1, 2008, 7:33 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2938 views)
Shortcut

No side effect seen. It should not be too harsh as we consume it into our stomach daily.

This method was shared by a medical doctor actually. (not a vet)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2008, 5:04 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [avcafe1] Found tick on my dog's body [In reply to] Can't Post

ic. thanks for the info. will try that out :D

yktan
New User

Feb 25, 2009, 1:27 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2139 views)
Shortcut

Hi, can you tell me where I can get Revolution (Selamectin) in Malaysia?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my