afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :(

Copper
Novice

Mar 1, 2008, 1:10 AM

Post #1 of 12 (6925 views)
Shortcut
afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :( Can't Post

Hi all,
I am very very new at this doggie forum thinghy.. but after reading almost every thread on bringing up a puppy with the best care possible, i have a question of my own which im hoping all you great experienced seniors can help me with.

I just got Copper, he is a 3 months old australian silky terrier. I live in an appartment and i have demanding work hours and i know that at the moment it is not right to leave him alone in the house and only attend to him at nights. i sleep with him outside in the hall at nights and im there first thing in the morning to feed him before i leave for work. but my housemate who is GREAT with doggies, is the one who spends the other hours with him when im not around. I am scared he will get attached to her and not know that I am his owner.

I know this sounds selfish, but the minute i held him the first time, i sorta had a meternal instinct build up and i became very protective of him and i felt this utmost jealousy when i see my housemate interact with him and the way he too interacts with her. i want to tell her but she is like my sister and i dunno how to tell her so i ruled out that option...

Now im just wondering if there is any other way to have him know that it is i who love him and care for him and is his owner not my housemate. I am so close to quitting my job just to attend to this new baby of mine.... but then how am i gonna find the money to buy him food! lol. i really am desperate for an answer.. please help some one. i have so much planned for my cutie, but im afraid he may not know this and instead develop a bond with my housemate instead. Frown

I feed him a BARF diet for puppies, i was also wondering what would be the best to start him on.. im currently giving him carrot/celery/pumpkin/sweetpotato, yoghurt, eggs, apple cider vinegar, salmon oil, vitamin e oil, blended and mixed with ground chicken. and at nites he gets chicken ribs chopped to tiny bits so he has sometin to chew on but not to big and hard for his teeth. is this a good diet? also, yesterday was his first on BARF and he puked 3 times today and had loose watery stools twice... am i duin sumtin wrong or is this natural?

Please help me.. my housemate is good with doggies and she often or not tells me what she does with her dogs and how her dogs listen and can say 'hello' and can do this and that.. and she tries to train my puppy b4 i even haf a chance and today she wanted to give the puppy his first bath cuz i had to go work and wudnt be around to do it. i felt like im the mother who has not been able to give the puppy his first bath time or be the first to share that moment with him.. i may be too paranoid but i feel desperately hurt and helpless. HE IS MY BABY!

Desperate mummy!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2008, 4:43 AM

Post #2 of 12 (6916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Copper] afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand what you are going through. With lack of time there's nothing much you can do. however i think the best way in your situation now is to feed your pup yourself. Feding will build bonds also. Your pup like any other dog will think you are such a great hunter to bring back food to the pack.

As for changing food all of a sudden of cos your dog will have watery stools. I would not recommend starting BARF at this young age maybe at least untill all his vaccinations are completed. For the time being you should give a few pieces of BARF in between meals not as full meal. Here are some articles on BARF. You should do more research.

www.rawmeatybones.com/

rawfed.com/myths/

www.workingdogs.com/vcbarf.htm

Also hope you can post the relevant queries on the right section so as to get the right response. Your pup needs to eat puppy food as there's lotsa protein in puppy food and he'll need that in this growing stage. You can feed him twice a day before you go to work and when you come back. Advise your housemate not to feed him. Except maybe for a few pieces of BARF in between meals.

Look at the bright side at least there's someone who pampers n pay attention to your dog if not your dog will be home alone even more pitiful.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

chrisong
Doggyman

Mar 1, 2008, 5:27 AM

Post #3 of 12 (6915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Copper] afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Bonding with dog take time. Just be patient.

Feeding, sleeping, grooming, & bring him out for a walk are few things that will help u bond with the dog.

Please remember, puppy do misbehave and sometime it will bite & destroy your favourite handbag, shoe, book & etcs. Don't spank him it will only make the dog scare at you. All u need is bring him to the destroy item and show & tell him "NO". That it. Sooner or later she will know wat you want.

Copper
Novice

Mar 1, 2008, 7:31 PM

Post #4 of 12 (6906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your advice on how to go about with this issue. I am feeding him on my own. Copper is sick now, i guess its due to the drastic change of food, so i took him to the vet and he started on the whole problem with BARF and how horrid it is and how could i possibly think of giving him BARF cuz the bones are SO WRONG for the dog and the Kibbles have everything that is specially formulated and designed for the dog n bla bla n more bla... n now im not sure if he is wrong or am i wrong? i need to know if theres any malaysians on barf and are their doggies duin good? The Doc is one of the best here in Seremban (whr i come from) and he says that raw meat has all this BACTERIA and raw is the worst thing to feed to a dog. true?

Anyway, i bought him this special food for now just so he'l eat cuz he stoped eating and he is throwing up. so after this when he starts getting better, i think i'll mixx his kibbles with sum chicken meat n plastic bones (from the breast part of the chicken)... how? can?

p.s: Copper is sleeping near my feet now.. curled like a ball... he luks so cute.. buut so sad oso ler.. Frown he luks so sickly.

p.s.s: I do not know how on earth to use this forum thinghy! where would be best for me to post this problem... and how do i do it? cuz when i go into the behavioral forums n what not, i cant find anywhere that says, 'post new'... so susah la this forum thing!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2008, 9:24 PM

Post #5 of 12 (6901 views)
Shortcut

Hi, am sure after a while you'll get used to this forum. You can check out the behavior problems section for training and nutrition and diet for the food. Most vets dun believe in giving BARF. If you check out the great dane thread under the working group you will see that most of their owners go on BARF for their dogs. There's a BARF thread under nutrition and diet also. Someone called julius Lim got his blog on BARF and all his dogs are on it. I think sirwin and supermutts also. Me also.. Feel free to voice out if you need any help. Check out the vaccine table that i posted under the vaccine thread. Make sure you give your dog a better one which most vets dun advise.

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2008, 6:46 PM

Post #6 of 12 (6664 views)
Shortcut

yeah, vet don't believe in BARF... same reason as to why doctors don't believe in supplements...

raw meat and bones do have bacteria..... but the porpuse is to train our dogs to be strong to witstand these microbes...

if a clean dog been eating dog food and drinking filtered water for years, all of a sudden she went drinking from a pond or pick up a rotten meat from the street, i bet she will be heading to the vet the next day...

juz like some humans who loves eating burger, rojak and cendul stall by the roadside, while others will say those food are extremely dirty, and they will end up having diarrhea....

i feed my dog on both BARF and also commercial dog food....becoz sometimes dog food is so easy for busy or lazy ppl like me...but during weekends, holidays or i'm in a good mood, my dog will be on BARF... eventhough it doesn't require cooking, but still needs time to prepare

she loves raw bone the most.... and when she's on BARF, she poo will be much nicer... she went jungle trekking with my every weekends and she's been drinking water from the dirty stream, not that i doesn't want to stop her, but by the time i shouted at her, she had drank...

go try to do some survey, u probably won't find many dogs that had a long healthy life on commercial diet...

some would say that my dog is strong becoz she's a mutt, but anyway, make ur judgement...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copper
Novice

Mar 11, 2008, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 12 (6660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

he a mutt? he dsnt look like one.. lol. thanks.. i guess you right. i felt discouraged but everytime i get back and do more n more n more research i get confident again that im not doing it wrong. I just need to know which supplements he needs to help him grow... was thinkin of going n getting the kelp powder in pet safari. any idea where i can buy alfalfa powder?

he satrting to know im his owner now.. so its all good. and my housemate when and got herself a toy podle, so now my copper boy has a fren n dsnt get too lonely when we at work. :)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2008, 7:08 PM

Post #8 of 12 (6658 views)
Shortcut

Amanda is right on the commercial food thing. My own dogs onli started BARF lately. But my old lady has been eating only liver cooked with rice all her life cos she refuse to eat biscuits. She's now 13-14 yrs old. I had her for bout 12+ years and I adopted her from the streets when she was already an adult. god knows how old she is. Nobody can tell cos she has very clean teeth despite eating soft food all her life and no sign of any aging. In fact she looks like 5 or 6 years old. Now she's on kibbles and BARF. Starved her till she eat kibbles and BARF she learnt it herself. Anyway dunno much bout supplement maybe you can check with others..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2008, 7:13 PM

Post #9 of 12 (6656 views)
Shortcut

i don't buy supplement for my dog...coz i think she's healthy, active and her coat is shiningly black...

since she's doing great, i don't need to add extra stuff that cost me more money...

i think pet safari is one of the pet store that sell lotsa supplement around, maybe u can ask the staff there for info...

but is your dog growing abnormally?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Copper
Novice

Mar 11, 2008, 7:40 PM

Post #10 of 12 (6646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] afraid my puppy wont recognize me as his owner.... :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Not abnormal la, but then again what would i know bout abnormal or normal...lol. cuz lik i said he is my sole responsibility and its the first time i am bringing up a puppy on my own, where as b4 i had daddy to do it. and it was different cuz i just started BARF and my pets last time were on commercial. so with barf, im not sure if puppies need extra supplements to grow or if what im giving isnt enuf.. i weigh out the food though, 10% of his body weight... and i duwan to give him tooo much... but i was wondering bout extra supps to complement the food, since he puppy oni. i ask the vet,and other pet stores they all frown at me lik im murdering my pet slowly and painfully.. so tot i'l ask you barf-ers instead. lol

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2008, 7:53 PM

Post #11 of 12 (6642 views)
Shortcut

icic....

ok, here's what i used to be reading....

they are providing lotsa supplement there, but i didn't have the time to read more about what's d function of each of everyone...maybe u can check it out

http://www-s3.sunshinerain.com/...od_Flyball_Club.html

Pacco de Mongrel

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 17, 2008, 1:37 AM

Post #12 of 12 (5901 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
icic....

ok, here's what i used to be reading....

they are providing lotsa supplement there, but i didn't have the time to read more about what's d function of each of everyone...maybe u can check it out

www-s3.sunshinerain.com/SureShots/Sure_Shot_Flyball_Blog/Entries/2007/2/28_The_All_Raw_Food_Flyball_Club.html

sometimes i do agree that once u feed your pups barf or supreme dog food, then the pups wont need any supplements, unless the vet advice you to do so according to his health condition...Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my