Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle

nphew

Feb 29, 2008, 8:45 PM

Post #1 of 17 (5482 views)
Shortcut
Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle Can't Post

Dear Fellow Dog Lovers,

I used to have a mongrel named Becky (female) for 14yrs before she passed away about 5 yrs ago, I am ready for another dog now. What I am looking for is a small/medium breed with short hair. I have a 6 yr old son, planning the keep the dog in the back yard (600 square feet). In terms of temperament, health, attention needed, which one is more suitable (SC JRT or Beagle any other recommendations), some say that female dogs are better family pets is that true? Your advise are highly appreciated.

Ready for Becky II

Hew

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 29, 2008, 9:14 PM

Post #2 of 17 (5480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

I have quite a number of dogs up for adoption under the rescue and adoption thread. i hope you can consider giving a homeless dogs a home rather than buying one. Personal choice for me.. I love female dogs. i spay them all and have never breeded any of them. I just love them and they i feel are more loyal and sometimes has better temperament.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

nphew

Mar 1, 2008, 12:09 AM

Post #3 of 17 (5464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Acsyen,

I went to a petshop that has a beagle after posting my message, he is so adorable but then on my way back, I stopped by SPCA Penang to have a look see. It was my first time there, anyway my heart just melts when I see those dogs out there. I have decided to adopt instead. I was told that they will only be on display for a year before "going to heaven", afterall, all dogs go to heaven right? My heart still aches till now, but it was a good feeling though, makes me feel so human. I will bring my family over tomorrow to get one. Anyway thanks for all the things that you have done for our canine friends.

Best Regards

Hew

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 2, 2008, 7:05 AM

Post #4 of 17 (5451 views)
Shortcut

JRTs & Beagles are very high energy dogs & they are constantly moving, every part of their bodies & they tend to be quite barky especially JRTs. Beagles are tracking dogs & so they tend to sniff the ground all the time & they love FOOD! JRTs on the other hand are usually toy motivated more than food & are highly trainable but sometimes they can make you go crazy with all their barking & jumping around. Both breeds need lots of exercise meaning walking & running. Leaving it in the backyard will make them a nuisance becoz they have so much energy that has to be burned off. Both breeds are VERY good for Agility. Obedience is not their forte...

Yes, females are better companions, anytime! Males, not so much. They tend to make a lot more noise than females, spray all over the place, be dominant & so much more other problems. Females tend to go on heat but they prefer to be closer to their owners & just hang out with their families. That's why I have females only & always prefer rescuing females too...

What type of dog/companion are you looking for? You'll need to choose a dog that suits your needs & home.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Mar 2, 2008, 7:09 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 3, 2008, 3:49 AM

Post #5 of 17 (5429 views)
Shortcut

You are welcome Hew. I just felt that these dogs deserve another chance to have a loving family. About being on display for a year I am not so sure unless they have the space then they will keep for so long. In KL most are put to sleep in bout 2 weeks time. Those nicer looking might live longer and pedigrees of course has more chances to live. Any am from Penang the island side also. MAybe one day when I go back can visit you and your furkid. I still have furkids in Penang and KL too..

nphew

Mar 3, 2008, 6:35 PM

Post #6 of 17 (5422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Amber,

My favourite dog is actually the GR/Huskies, that's why I really like your picture, but I also understand that what I want may not be suitable for me. So the beagle/JRT is my next choice (even these are not suitable as well, being hyperactive and such). Anyway I have already made up my mind to get one from SPCA. I think lady luck is with me, there is a new comer that is still in isolation, she will be up for adoption this week. She has all the features I want in a dog, ie floppy ears, black nose, not too big and tri colour with white base, she actually looks like a beagle, my brother said that she is a "pirated" beagle. Whatever she is, she will be part of the family soon.

Hey Acsyen, how many dogs have you got? What type?

Best Regards

Hew

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 3, 2008, 6:50 PM

Post #7 of 17 (5421 views)
Shortcut

i have bout 8 more up for rehoming and quite a few more that are not ready. Mind provide me with your email? Or just email me at acs_yen @ h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m. I can keep u on my mailing list.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 4, 2008, 11:17 AM

Post #8 of 17 (5400 views)
Shortcut

Oh, that's good to know. very nice of you of adopting a dog from a shelter. Many dogs there need homes. maybe you can share us a picture of your new "pirated" Beagle, heehee!

BarkingMad
Novice

Mar 5, 2008, 5:36 PM

Post #9 of 17 (5369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, females are better companions, anytime! Males, not so much. They tend to make a lot more noise than females, spray all over the place, be dominant & so much more other problems. Females tend to go on heat but they prefer to be closer to their owners & just hang out with their families. That's why I have females only & always prefer rescuing females too...

i have both and my male is much quiter and affectionate than the female. you really shouldnt generalise the traits you mentioned on all male dogs. it really depends on the character of individual dog, sex hardly matters.

nphew

Mar 5, 2008, 9:39 PM

Post #10 of 17 (5352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BarkingMad] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback, anyway my experience with my last dog was very pleasant so I am going to stick to females (why risk change, right..). I am also worried about the spray thingy. On the contrary, I am voting for change this coming election....don't flame me OK, just expressing my personal view.....

BarkingMad
Novice

Mar 6, 2008, 5:07 PM

Post #11 of 17 (5326 views)
Shortcut

its all good.. i applaud you for adopting a rescued dog

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 6, 2008, 11:11 PM

Post #12 of 17 (5304 views)
Shortcut

so happy to hear that u will be adopting instead. of buying...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

nphew

Mar 11, 2008, 1:12 AM

Post #13 of 17 (5190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Just set up my Avatar, that's Candy, my new puppy, the family just adores her. I have uploaded her picture to pets2u, still waiting for approval.

nphew

Mar 19, 2008, 6:05 AM

Post #14 of 17 (4192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Amber,

Got tired of waiting for approval at pets2u, so use imageshack instead, here is a picture of Candy, same as my Avatar. I could not find a better picture of her as she cannot keep still for a picture to be taken. Isn't she a cutie?

Best Regards

Hew

[URL= imageshack.us]

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 21, 2008, 8:41 PM

Post #15 of 17 (4162 views)
Shortcut

the name candy suits her a lot...she is so sweet!

nphew

Mar 27, 2008, 7:12 AM

Post #16 of 17 (3795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Smooth Coat Jack Russell or Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting worried that she might grow too big, I got her for 2 weeks + only, but I can feel that she has grown. Forgot to weight her when I first got her. Anyway, I initially wanted to rename her to Becky (name of my first dog) but my younger brother objected saying that she would make me forget my first dog. SPCA called her Candy, so Candy it is...

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 27, 2008, 8:23 PM

Post #17 of 17 (3731 views)
Shortcut

she will grow larger fast especially in the first few months...then the growing rate will slow down till she reaches a maturity level...candy suits her anyway!Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my