Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Need advice b4 getting a GSD puppy

arwc
Novice

Feb 27, 2008, 7:55 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2716 views)
Shortcut
Need advice b4 getting a GSD puppy Can't Post

Hi bros and sis i will be collecting a gsd pup which is around 7 weeks old, shall i keep him indoors till its a little older? or can i just leave him outside my garden?

koruchann
Novice

Feb 27, 2008, 9:26 PM

Post #2 of 13 (2707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arwc] Need advice b4 getting a GSD puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi arwc!

Just wanna share wf u cos i also just got my GSD pup 3 mths ago... How come ur breeder ask u to take ur pup bfore 8weeks ya? Well, anyhow, be prepared to have sleepless night for the 1st month wen pup arrives... GSDs are really incredibly smart, u know wat they say, u only need to teach a GSD a repetition of 3 times & they'll get it!

Wf all the dog-napping everywhere, i strongly suggest u keep ur pup indoors! If u can allocate a small room, even better. U can start toilet-training her on newspaper right away! They learn very quickly! My Bailey only started living outdoors last month, once she was huge enuf & fierce enuf! But still gotta keep an eye on her if she's outdoors as she mite go disturb frogs & lizards!

Have fun wf ur pup! Got a name yet?

arwc
Novice

Feb 27, 2008, 9:55 PM

Post #3 of 13 (2704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koruchann] Need advice b4 getting a GSD puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi thanks for the reply :D actually i cant wait to collect the pup haha, should be around next month i can collect it. I will get a male one currently thinking of its name not sure, Rex, Max or Toby ? :D i think i will keep it indoors for 1 to 2 mths before letting it to stay outside. :). Do u have msn there? :)

(This post was edited by arwc on Feb 28, 2008, 12:05 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 27, 2008, 10:22 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2696 views)
Shortcut

If the breeder lets you collect it before 8 weeks old minium then he is quite an irresponsible one. Pup that are separated before 8 weeks old will tend to come up with more behaviour problems later on. Let's say 2 months down the road you pup is bout 4 months old and you let him stay outside.. To my opinion it should be easy to steal it..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

koruchann
Novice

Feb 27, 2008, 10:25 PM

Post #5 of 13 (2696 views)
Shortcut

icic! I know the feeling! I bet ur counting the minutes ya!

U know, i was told by someone to get a pup only wen its 6 mths old!! The reason is for better assurance on the hips. U know me so heartache now, my baby got early signs of hip problem, the breeder like dun care! Mad So upset! I just give her glucosamine supplements now & watch her, dun let her slip & fall down on slippery floors esp. marble!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 27, 2008, 10:36 PM

Post #6 of 13 (2693 views)
Shortcut

put it this way.. if the breeder invest about rm2k for the male dog and another rm2k for the female dog. And found out one of them has HD. Do you think he will be wasting another rm2k to buy another dog which is not guaranteed to dun have HD?

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

koruchann
Novice

Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 PM

Post #7 of 13 (2687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Need advice b4 getting a GSD puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey acsyen!

Well, i guess some backyard breeder dun really care bout the hip issues in the 1st place

But this breeder had the cheek to tell me "Guarantee no hip problem!" Mad

arwc
Novice

Feb 28, 2008, 12:11 AM

Post #8 of 13 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Hip problem wow... i need to ask from the breeder, anyone here has m s n ? Wink and by how old should only i let my dog stay outdoors?

(This post was edited by arwc on Feb 28, 2008, 12:34 AM)

isaac
Dog Kichi

Feb 28, 2008, 12:32 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2677 views)
Shortcut

hello all,

i seldom post here but i like to read thread involving gsd. lol. for 7 weeks, i think it is still to early to be taken home as the pup is not strong enough and at this young age might succumb to illness easily. the best time would be 12 weeks. cannot take at 6 months la, all breeder go bankrupt if got a litter of 12 puppy. as for hip problem, there is no guarantee on these even one from certifed parents. accident happens. the parents might be A- normal but maybe in the genes farway there is such problem. so i think the question should be is the breeder willing to take responsibility to the HD pups? For e.g - take the puppy back and give replacement or you keep the pup and he send you another with lower price and etc.

ohh, lastly do not let your dog outdoor for long hours when young. maybe only after 1 year old only let him stay outside. when younger then keep him in kennel locked. you dont want your things to be chew up and also you dont want people to steal your dog.

koruchann
Novice

Feb 28, 2008, 12:41 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Oh yesss... I hope u dun have any fave plants, if u do, better barricade them! Ha Ha!

Mine use to stay indoors until my mom kicked my poor baby out, so we have a big cage for her. I usually drop her off at doggie daycare bfore i go to work & pick her up after work.

My fren's GSD will hunt fish from his Koi pond. Eventualy all the fishes gone!

Any further info add me on msn at

koruaishiteru -kat mail panas ya!

arwc
Novice

Feb 28, 2008, 1:48 AM

Post #11 of 13 (2667 views)
Shortcut

LOL i have a koi pond hehe i hope he wont eat those fishes later hehe coz i keep kois and aro as well :P haha ok i will add ya mine arnold_tan18 at mail panas too :D hahaha

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 28, 2008, 6:53 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2657 views)
Shortcut

GSDs are one of the most intelligent dogs! They are highly trainable but need firm handling & training at a very young age. You won't want it to dominate you that's the important thing. GSDs can take rough handling & rough lifestyle but ofcourse, don't handle it too roughly lah when it's just a pup. I will never never suggest owners leaving their dogs outside eventhough the dogs are "good guard dogs". Dogs are never good guard dogs unless they are trained to be one. Please try & keep it indoors or in the back kitchen where it is fully secured with alarm & all. A little bit of fur here & there won't do any damage to your home. One of my friends told me that, there was this lady with show dog Shih Tzus & two GSDs guard dogs. Heard about the dog napping these days? Well, the GSDs are kept outside to guard their home but one night, one of the Indian culprits came in, STABBED both the GSDs (Wow, incredible! So much for calling them guard dogs) & stole the champion Shih Tzus inside their home. So, don't expect your GSD to protect your home, no matter what age it is unless it is trained to do so. This is called Protection Dog or Shutzhund. Your dog may only be able to bark but it won't be able to fight back with a person with a knife... But nonetheless, GSDs can be great companions & good with children!

arwc
Novice

Mar 3, 2008, 5:36 AM

Post #13 of 13 (2580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Need advice b4 getting a GSD puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thnx for the adviceSmile haha cant wait to collect the pup Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my