MIniature Schnauzer

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 5, 2003, 1:03 AM

Post #1 of 50 (9110 views)
Shortcut
MIniature Schnauzer Can't Post

Had read through the following articleand found that it is quite useful for the friend who is considering to get a new Miniature Schnauzer puppy and doubt that whether this breed is suitable for you, so just paste it down, for your reference. Happy reading Smile.

Miniature schnauzer puppies: what you should know

Miniature Schnauzers are a very popular breed of dog among pet owners; and it's not hard to understand why. Miniature Schnauzers are very friendly, loving dogs, with expressive eyes and wonderful dispositions. This is a guide to give you information about Miniature Schnauzer puppies, and what you should know before you buy one, and before you bring it home.

Miniature Schnauzers come in three colors: salt and pepper, black and silver, and solid black. They can have cropped ears, and always have a short, cropped tail. If you are looking at a Miniature Schnauzer puppy, you should look carefully to see if it appears healthy. It's ears should be relatively clean and free of discharge, it's eyes should be bright, and it should look like it's in good condition.

Miniature Schnauzers grow to be 12-14" tall, and 13-15lbs. They'll be comfortable in any type of home, but are very energetic and like to run around, so give your puppy the opportunity to run in a fenced-in area every once in a while. They are "terrier"-like, so they like to dig, and especially hunt. It is highly recommended that you keep small rodents (hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, etc.) out of the house if you get a Miniature Schnauzer. It's their instinct to hunt, and kill, so all small mammals are at risk.

If you find a puppy you like, and are ready to bring it home, there are a few things you should take into consideration. Like all puppies, Miniature Schnauzers are very curious, and will get into things even if you turn your back for a minute. Trash cans, electrical cords, basically anything remotely accessible, are potential hazards, and nothing should be overlooked.

Miniature Schnauzers are a small, bordering on medium, sized dog. Find the right kind of puppy food for you puppy; think if you want to feed it canned food, or dry food, and make sure it's for small breeds. You should decide, or follow directions on the bag/box, as to how much you should feed your puppy. Make sure not to underfeed, because puppies need the nutrients to grow, and make sure not to overfeed, because being overweight is just as bad as being underweight.

Besides toys, it would be nice to get a small grooming brush for your dog. Miniature Schnauzers don't shed, but sometimes their beard or hair around their legs will get matted and tangled. Take time every once in a while to brush your dog. On most Miniature Schnauzers, the outer coat of their fur is pretty wiry, but the layer underneath it is soft. Miniature Schnauzers should be groomed every couple of months, as well as have their nails trimmed and ears cleaned regularly.

If you are going to crate-train your puppy, or are planning to travel with it, find a good quality crate. It should be big enough so your puppy will be comfortable in it when it's not a puppy anymore. The last expense you should definitely go through with is getting your new Miniature Schnauzer puppy all it's shots and vaccinations.

It's a lot to think about for just getting a dog, but really having a new puppy is like having a new baby. The need constant attention and care for them to survive. Miniature Schnauzers are a wonderful breed, and are good with kids. They love to play, and love to run around. So good luck, and have fun!

Smile Eliza

arthur
ALPHA

Jun 5, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #2 of 50 (9106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eliza!

Thks for posting this informative article up..Smile Maybe you would like to give credit to the author?

Rdgs Arthur

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 5, 2003, 5:06 PM

Post #3 of 50 (9101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Arthur,

I has been asking by friends, and not only once lor... Is MS suitable for me... Is MS easy to take care... Is MS need more exercise... and etc... Smile I am not an MS expert Tongue, so what I can do is just shared yippi's story with them. After reading this article, feel that it is quite useful for these new MS lover, so just posted it up, share share mar... Wink

Smile Eliza

arthur
ALPHA

Jun 5, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #4 of 50 (9098 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eliza!

Yes, I know the feeling.. What to do..your handsome Yippi boy does attract a lot of admirers..So you be good ambassador for our MS breed lor!Sly

Anyway, don't get me wrong. Just want to cover you in case some folks say we are simply pasting or copying other people's work without giving credit to the original author or website. A lot of eyes in this forum lah..Crazy

Thks again for the share-share.. (BTW, any latest pic of Yippi's grooming?)

Rdgs Arthur

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 5, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #5 of 50 (9093 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Arthur,

Really?? I never think about that leh... Unsure what to do now?? hope that the author is kind enough and don mind lar... um.. next time I will try to just showing the link to the site lar... Tongue

I didn't took any picture for Yippi's second grooming lor... will try to post the picture for the 3rd grooming... Wink

Smile Eliza

wendi
Novice

Jun 6, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #6 of 50 (9083 views)
Shortcut
Re: MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi...I am wendy.I just got myself a ms age 4months.Is it easy to teach a ms as mine is a hyperactive one.Is there anyway to groom her where she can stand still without playing with you and biting the comb and etc...She is fine with the dog groomer.Quiet and shy.

Cheers/Wendy

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 6, 2003, 6:39 PM

Post #7 of 50 (9076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendi] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Wendy,

My trainer had told me that MS is one of the breeds that easy to train, because they like treats Tongue. Probably you need to train your fur-kid the sit/stand/down and stay commands, so that every time you doing grooming to her, you give the command, whether you want him to stand, sit or down, then ask him to stay and you do the grooming. Never let her playing with the comb, because she will think that it is her toy. Said "No" firmly and take away from her every she bite the comb.

For daily combing, I will let yippi lying on a big pillow and do the combing. At first I bought him back, I waited till he feel sleepy, then I placed him on the big pillow and combed him gently. Now when I prepare the comb and the pillow, I call him, he will come to me, some time he will lie on the pillow himself, because he is already used to it Smile. After every combing, ear cleaning and nail cutting, I will praise him and give him some treats. HahahaˇK Cool now he will run to and sit in front on the place where I keep his treats after I complete the grooming.

Your fur-kid is such a good girl, co-operate with the groomer. My fur-kid used to act unfriendly to the groomer Frown.

You can refer back to this forum, Grooming a Miniature Schnauzer under Grooming, Arthur had gave us some tips regarding grooming the MS Wink.

Smile Eliza

(This post was edited by elizatye on Jun 6, 2003, 6:44 PM)

wendi
Novice

Jun 6, 2003, 7:15 PM

Post #8 of 50 (9073 views)
Shortcut

Many thanks for your advice Eliza!!!I noticed that i am in the right forum where there are so many si fu giving me advice on how to take care of my dog.Will try FiFi on a big cushion....

Cheers/WendySmile

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 6, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #9 of 50 (9071 views)
Shortcut

You are welcome, actually I am still new in MS Tongue. Will you join the BBQ outing with us on 21 June 2003 at the back of hotel ??? (Refer to Event Calendar)

Smile Eliza

wendi
Novice

Jun 9, 2003, 5:27 AM

Post #10 of 50 (9060 views)
Shortcut

i cant make it to join you guys for the BBQ as Fifi is currently in Ipoh.!!!Will make it the next outing...Have a great day

Cheers/wendy

wendi
Novice

Jun 10, 2003, 5:46 AM

Post #11 of 50 (9047 views)
Shortcut

Hi eliza,

Is your Yippi female or male?Just curious.I might be keeping another male ms but not sure whether can he get along with my fifi.BTW,where did you bought Yippi?Direct from breeder or petshop?I got my fifi from a breeder in Ipoh.Do you have any good breeder to recommend?

Brgds/Wendy

elizatye
K9 Senior

Jun 10, 2003, 5:27 PM

Post #12 of 50 (9041 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Wendi, Yippi is a male. I bought him from the petshop, but it is recommended to buy from the breeder. I do not have any contact of the breeder in Penang, but I can try to get some information for you.

I do not know whether 2 MS can be get along because currently I only own 1. Probably Arthur can give you some comments beause he own 3 Cool. I do plan to keep another MS (prefer female), to accompany Yippi, but not at this moment, because Yippi already made me very tired. But I really wish that I can get another 1 Smile.

Smile Eliza

wendi
Novice

Jun 11, 2003, 6:14 AM

Post #13 of 50 (9030 views)
Shortcut

Hi arthur,

Do you have any good breeder to recommend for ms?By the way,can they get along well with one and another?I've already got a 4+months old ms and wish to get a male ms but not sure whether can cope up with 2 ms as a same time.I've heard from a breeder that to let them grow up together from small is a good upbringing rather than get one puppy back while the other has already grown up.Any good advise?

Cheers/Wendy

arthur
ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 8:20 AM

Post #14 of 50 (9029 views)
Shortcut

Hi Wendi,

For a multi-dog household, whether they get along well depends very much on the individual character..for eg. if your current MS bitch is a dominant type and you introduce another dominant MS dog, then chances are, they'll be challenging each other for the top dog position in your household! Of course the alpha dog position in your house should be you. Smile

For a breeder recommendation, please email me at schnauzer@puppy.com.my

Hope this helps. Rdgs Arthur

dobu
New User

Jun 13, 2003, 4:15 PM

Post #15 of 50 (9003 views)
Shortcut

It should not be any problems if there is a age gaps for the dogs. You might experience a slight storming session in the first place and things will pretty patch up later. MS breed are of good temprement and don't worry, they will be alright.

wendi
Novice

Jun 18, 2003, 6:42 AM

Post #16 of 50 (8981 views)
Shortcut

Hi arthur! Smile

Thanks for your advice.Have email you at schnauzer@puppy.com.my

Hope to hear from you soon!!!

Cheers/Wendy

agd
Novice

Aug 1, 2003, 7:12 PM

Post #17 of 50 (8856 views)
Shortcut

Hello Arthur. It's been sometime since we last meet. Look's like your 3 MS's doing fine. As for Ariel, I've decided not to show her anymore. I don't strip her anymore (since I'm not showing).

It's great to know that you've been active in this forum and there appears to be a number of folks showing a keen interest in MS nowadays.

Anyway, for the benefit of those who don't know me, my name's Aloy currently residing in Penang (B'worth) moving soon to Sg. Petani in the next 2 months. I have a BS bitch...2 years now.

Definately MS is a great pet to have. They don't shed, love the attention, therefore if you can spare them the time they are always looking for your attention. They are also great with children.

Bye for now..........

xyne
Doggyman

Aug 2, 2003, 11:30 AM

Post #18 of 50 (8847 views)
Shortcut

hey.. my MS snoorrssss.. heeheee..

wonder if anyone's baby do too.....

Tongue

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 2, 2003, 6:34 PM

Post #19 of 50 (8844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agd] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Aloy!

Long time no talk! Glad you decided to drop by! Smile Guess your job musta been pretty demanding on your time. Nevertheless, good to see you again.

Rdgs to Ann and give a belly rub to Ariel for me. BTW, when is ariel's DOB? We would like to add you guys to our list of MS owners..

Rdgs Arthur

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 2, 2003, 6:36 PM

Post #20 of 50 (8843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amy,

Only Pepper girl snores occasionally. The rest sleeps quietly. Though once a while, you can see them dreaming when their legs kick out! Must be running or chasing down their favourite prey..birds!Smile

agd
Novice

Aug 4, 2003, 4:40 PM

Post #21 of 50 (8837 views)
Shortcut

Arthur, Ariel's DOB is 14 July 2001. Talk to you later!

xyne
Doggyman

Aug 12, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #22 of 50 (8808 views)
Shortcut

is snoring equivalent to our human "sleeping-breathing-disorder".. maybe his pillow too high??? why do they snore ah?? too big the belly???? heeheeee

Tongue

arthur
ALPHA

Aug 13, 2003, 6:41 AM

Post #23 of 50 (8800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amy,

Can't really give you a good anwer on this matter. Maybe they are just very tired. My wife says I snore too (especially if I'm tiredCrazy) Otherwise, the furkids normally sleeps quietly.

Short muzzle breeds like pugs..do snore and this is considered normal due to the short nasal passages.. (or somethin' like that!)

Rdgs Arthur

Xana
Dog Kichi

Aug 13, 2003, 11:44 AM

Post #24 of 50 (8795 views)
Shortcut

HI, I am glad to find mini owners finally here! Sly I had my first black mini when I was 5 years old. Now I have CH. Dreyfus Xana's Androis (my 3d mini) and there are black giant schnauzer and scottish terrier in my home too. Minies are absolutely superb breed! So clever and cute. And my Dreyfus is the sweetes dog I ever had and he is natural born showdog. He loves showing.

You can see him at www.schnauzer.cz/dreyfus we have also special schnauzer in Czech Republic where I live - all schnauzer lovers are welcome Coolwww.schnauzer.cz

mackmack
Doggyman

Aug 13, 2003, 11:48 AM

Post #25 of 50 (8794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Xana] MIniature Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Woww Woowww~~~~~~~

Xana! very nice website you have there for your schnauzer~! I only viewed the pictures, they really caught my eyes!Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my