Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
NO POO!!???

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Feb 22, 2008, 12:42 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3376 views)
Shortcut
NO POO!!??? Can't Post

Hi, my dog has a skin infection recently. After taking anti biotic for a week, he got well but the antibiotic seems to have killed the good bacteria in his stomach too. As a result, he started to have stomach upset very often. I tried giving him bene bac (live culture) to help in his digestion but that make him even more sick. When I stop giving him the live culture, he recovered from stomach upset the following day. However he started miss his "train" (meaning he dun poo). I stopped giving him live culture on the 13 Feb. But til 16 feb, still he didn't poo. I gave him a small piece of papaya on 16 feb evening
(which his stomach can take it last time), but he ended up with tummy upset the next day. He poo on the 17 Feb morning and vomitted twice that day. He got well the next day but didn't poo since last Sunday (17 Feb). I brought him to see the vet just now but the vet told me there is no waste in his stomach?? He suspeted that he might have eaten up his poo!!?? Shocked But that's impossible cos' I am home with him 24 hrs a day. If he poo in a room, he will quickly walk out of that room cos' it stink. Furthermore, he is a fussy eater. If the food doesn't taste or smell good to him, he will walk away. Dun think he will eat up his poo. If that's the case, where have the food that he has eaten gone to? Anyone has encounter such problem as I do? I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 22, 2008, 3:24 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickeymummy] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

What you feed the dog daily?

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Feb 22, 2008, 7:59 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is on minced mutton currently. I bought fresh mutton from the market everyday. I steamed the mutton and served him. I used to add papaya into his food until the recent stomach upset. Yesterday, I added a bit of sweet potato into his food and today he had tummyache again.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 18, 2008, 1:40 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3216 views)
Shortcut

how's your dog doing? better i hope? as for eating up the poo part, if they are doing it, it will be VERY fast and appetizing or not, heh, hard for us to judge. but since ur the owner u might know better. another reason for NOT pooping is because your dog is heaty also. mutton is kinda heaty, even for us humans.

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Mar 18, 2008, 7:35 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for your concern over Mickey. He actually got better last week. I gave him papaya on alternate days and he poo normally on days when he had papaya. But some days, he will still have tummy ache. My instinct tells me it is the papya that cause his tummy upset. But sometimes he seems ok even he had papaya everyday. But if he doesn't eat papaya, he will not poo. I have tried pumpkin and sweet potatoes but it just dun work for him. He can't take yogurt or any live culture product. I am feeding him banana everyday.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 18, 2008, 7:47 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3206 views)
Shortcut

sometimes it's just something he ate or licked. i never give my dogs anything but kibbles some normal days, but they still get tummy upsets sometimes. maybe an insect flew in, or they got notty and licked something they shouldn't or just practically anything. so sometimes it's not the papaya.

Dcom
Novice

Apr 9, 2008, 7:45 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2644 views)
Shortcut

By now, how's Mickey?

I just want to share a similar experience I have with Santa, a 16 months old ms. We have been giving her steamed chicken meat since December last year. She was fine until a month ago she did not poo for 4 days. When she did, it was soft and watery. Then she did not poo again for another 3 days.

We took her to the vet, found nothing wrong with her. She did not vomit and was active as her normal self.

She continued to be like that (poo only after 3 or 4 days) for 3 weeks. We got worried knowing that that is not normal for a dog. Took her to another vet. The vet said she is ok but to reassure us, the vet did a scan. Indeed, she is ok.

The problem is with her diet!! The vet said that chicken is highly digestible and since Santa does not eat anything else, she does not have a balanced diet. It is good to give her home-cooked food but it must be balanced with vege and fruits. Santa was fed chicken meat only because she does not eat anything else. She used to eat vege and fruits when she was younger but not now.

We are switching her back to kibbles now. It is difficult as she is refusing to eat. We have to toughen up and not give in to her for her own good. She eats very little of the kibbles we are giving her but we will continue....

Since the day we gave her kibbles, she is pooing now...nice poo too!

Visit Santa's blog at http://www.santa-ms.blogspot.com

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 10, 2008, 2:03 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dcom] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

actually it is advisable for you to feed your pup raw...for example a piece of chicken wing or ribs...but u must balance it up with boiled vege and fruits...don't have to cook the meat...and when u serve raw, they will like to chew on the bones as well because the bones are softer compared to cooked ones...and it's much more healthier compared to kibbles...that is why if u were to compare the cost of feeding raw and feeding kibbles, raw is much more expensive.

Dcom
Novice

Apr 10, 2008, 7:25 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we know about raw but we don't feel easy feeding raw. We have tried though...and she came up with diarrhea!! As for vege and fruits, as mentioned, she doesn't like them anymore. I supposed we have made her a finicky eater by giving her such a variety of foodUnsure. We ended up with steamed chicken meat because that's the only food she will eat. We have tried mixing steamed vege and she ended up not eating the chicken as well!!

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 13, 2008, 12:44 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dcom] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

i supposed he is used to more flavorful meals already...thats why i normally advice not to cook the meat but do cook the vege...no salt or pepper or things like that...but there are also people mixing up everything with salt and the doggie lives for more than 10 yrs...hahaha...it's case by case basis i suppose...but these are just for our knowledge lo...Smile

Dcom
Novice

Apr 13, 2008, 8:31 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] NO POO!!??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I must say it's a case to case basis. Just like kibbles, certain dogs prefer a certain brand and others prefer other brands. When we switched to kibbles, we tried a few samples and luckily there is one that Santa eats.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my