First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008, 7:03 AM

Post #51 of 60 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advice..

well, she'd immuned to the toy.. she gets bored to all her toy already.. so, the only way is "food" and praise..

the trainer doesn't advice me to feed her food while heeling.. cause when I let her smell the food while heeling, he said "you don't need to do that in order to let your dog pay attention to you!".. ??? really confused me a lot.. sigh...

by the way, I gave her slices of hot dog as the treat during training.. but, looks like she doesn't really attracted to the hotdog?? may be the ayam mas hot dog doesn't smell good to her?? Pirate

yeah.. she really doesn't like it when I pull her too much.. she'll show objection by sitting there and refused to move any more..

but, that's what the trainer told me to do so.. pull her and let her feel the pain, so that she'll listen to me !!! Frown

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 7, 2008, 2:53 PM

Post #52 of 60 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

your trainer a bit lack of experience eh? if you ever go to penang on a sunday let me know i tell u where to go to see a professional doing training for dogs. I dunno y food is not encouraged. doesn't mean that we use food we have to let the dog eat it right? Training is always based on what they are motivated at. Ur dog dun like hot dog ah? How bout those jer high treats can cut small small. Or u can always cook chicken and cut into small pieces so that they dun need time to chew it.

The pulling method doesn't work all the time..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 7, 2008, 7:50 PM

Post #53 of 60 (1567 views)
Shortcut

did u let toy laying all over the house and she got free access to it whenever she want? then maybe u need to keep all those toys up and only let her play with during training time...either at home or training ground.

if u think she's totally not toys motivated, get a new toy , or juz settle on treats...

before training begins, make sure she's pretty hungry and she will pay attention more...

i don't think there is such things as 'no treats during training'.... u can use what works best for your dog... she is still a new student, treats is a way to get her attention to the owner.

try to think from a dog perspective.... why she will focus on the boring owner when there are other much more interesting around... the owner juz ask her to sit, heel and stay... all those stuff are boring , if she's not being rewarded....

only reward her when she is looking up at u or focus on your hand... then she will learn to associate the focus on owner, an rewarding experience...focus is more important than an accurate sit or solid stay... focus is the fundamental in everything u wish to teach her in the future

and puppy need to be rewarded more frequent during the learning stage.... and when your dog get mature, u can minimize on rewards gradually....

at home, make sure u are the one bringing her out for daily walk, feeding her and playing with her...

training is suppose to be having fun too.... not dictatorship...

make your dog heel with a wagging tail...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008, 8:08 AM

Post #54 of 60 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, that's what I think too.. he might be lacked of experience.. cause during the 2nd training class.. he didn't even know that I put on the choke chain wrongly.. when I asked him that day, he told me that I put it correctly.. until another trainer pass by and ask my trainer to check on my dog's choke chain.. sigh...

and my trainer is not coming on this coming Sunday.. so, I'll go there and train her myself.. sigh.. so, I don't know whether she'll be ok or not during this coming Sunday...

I would love to go Penang.. but, I have to take her for training classes for 10 Sundays.. so, can't go any place until she finishes her classes..

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 8, 2008, 10:59 AM

Post #55 of 60 (1548 views)
Shortcut

It's not very nice for me to make any judgments on other trainers but this trainer sounds like a 1st timer to me & is still unsure. No treats during training? Now, where on earth did he get this idea of not using treats? Not all dogs are motivated with toys or anything else. There's not one trainer or even handlers in Malaysia that don't use treats for training. You do what you think is right & what makes her motivated & wanting to learn. Every trainers in Malaysia & even I have our own thinking & methods. Not all the time you have to listen to the trainer. I never really followed or even listened to Amber's Pre-Novice trainer last time becoz she was just making everything depressing. Pull her here & there especially during "finish" exercise. Sigh... So, what ever you think is right, you use that method & please use treats if she's not interested in anything else.

When you go back for your 3rd or 4th class, could you ask him to show off to you guys what his dog can do. At least you can see how he handles, gives commands & even praise & reward his dog. And you can also see what level is his dog already in! Some trainers just call themselves trainers when actually their dogs have not even passed basic or pre-novice. I know one man who goes around charging more then a thousand ringgit training rich people's dogs. The way he handles his dog is almost abusive, always shouting, praising is like in low deep growling voice & then he drags his dogs around. Anyway, we hardly talk to him anymore. So ask him to show you guys a demo using HIS dog, not someone else's...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Mar 8, 2008, 11:12 AM)

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008, 5:52 PM

Post #56 of 60 (1544 views)
Shortcut

I keep her toy in a basket... she can access to the basket any time.. She'll only go to look for her toy when she's really bored ... I think that's the reason she doesn't really attract by her toy.. I will keep that basket and take it out again after some time and see what happened.. :)

at home, my dad feeds her early in the morning (about 5 something in the morning).. I'll feed her in the evening about 6 something.. both of us play with her, bring her for hill climbing etc.. so, she listen to both of us more than my mom.. but, for training.. sigh.. so far, only listen to me when she wants to.. sigh.. Pirate (I meant in the training class).. she'll follow my instruction at home.. but, not at the training class.. by the way, if the trainer trained her, she would look at me and not listen to the trainer.. Pirate so, the trainer said that when the owner is around while training, the dog won't pay their attention to the trainer.. Unsure so, end up he gave me back the leash... Crazy

I'll change to jer high and see... cause at home I use jer high salami(cut to 4 pieces).. then, at the training ground, I thought that I should change treat so that she'll be attracted to the food more.. but, looks like I am wrong..

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008, 6:02 PM

Post #57 of 60 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see him train his dog last lesson.. ok lor.. not obedient until listen to him 100%.. e.g. he asked her to stay while he trained my furkid.. then, his dog will stay there for a while.. then, after some time, she couldn't stand her owner training other dog, she'll get up and walk nearer.. when my furkid tries to be friend with her, she'll bark and won't let my furkid get near her.. conclusion: she gets jealous very easily and forget about her owner's command..

I did see other trainer's dog... when they ask them to stay, they really stay there and don't dare to move.. not like my trainer.. sigh..

note: his dog is a 4 year old yellow lab..

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2008, 3:33 AM

Post #58 of 60 (1533 views)
Shortcut

sometimes commercial dog treats from petshop can't compare to home-cooked...

home-cooked treats are much more delicious and cheap...

u can try cooked chicken liver... i notice most dog loves it...

sometimes u can use chicken meat in small pieces too....

or if u are into baking, u can even bake your own dog treats in large amount and store it up in the freezer, only bring out a small portion to the training class.... recipe can be found from the internet...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2008, 9:54 PM

Post #59 of 60 (1525 views)
Shortcut

chicken liver and meat.. ok.. I'd jotted down..

bake.. do you mean bake the dog biscuits? I have oven.. so, can try.. I'll search for recipe later..

thanks..

by the way, she improved a lot during this morning's training class.. my trainer didn't come, so another very experience trainer helped me to train my furkid.. she really improved.. and concentrated more on me.. I can even try the stay command.. but, only when I walked around her in a small circle.. when I go further, she will follow me.. won't stay there.. anyway, I'm really happy cause at least she can do the stay command although for a very short distant.. it's really a very good start.. :)

joanch
Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2009, 4:23 PM

Post #60 of 60 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chris, I need to ask you something but I couldn't get the PM works. I just need to know when you groom your silkies, do you trim the hair around their eyes?
I have a Papillon and an Australian Silky Terrier. One sheds and the other one needs grooming quite a lot

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my