Beauty & Brains

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 16, 2008, 9:54 AM

Post #1 of 60 (4023 views)
Shortcut
Beauty & Brains Can't Post

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is."
Anonymous

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.

Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.

But performance indicates what the animal actually is.

(Amber-Mae at an Agility Trial)

I really like this quote, it makes sense to me! I had never seen this one before and came across it on a breeders website, if I was a breeder this is what I would strive for. If I felt that strongly about one breed to want to advocate for it solely, I love all three of my dogs mostly for their unique and true working ability (for their breed) combined with the individual beauty and sense of humour they all have.

Beauty & brains, that's what we're looking for in a dog. I think it's totally pointless in having a dog (pedigree or not) if it's beautiful but can't do a single thing! Mongrels & mixed breeds have their own beauty & personalities & I strongly believe that they should have a purpose too! Doesn't mean when your dog is a mongrel it should be treated like one too... All dogs should be trained! They look up to their owners to give them guidance in their lives becoz their owners are the alphas so, train them & give them jobs!

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 16, 2008, 10:34 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2008, 6:32 AM

Post #2 of 60 (4000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

Not everyone so free like you ma.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 17, 2008, 7:13 AM

Post #3 of 60 (3996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that is not a very good excuse. No time, then don't get a dog. Right? Aiyah, you should know mah... And no one is asking them to train their dogs as well as my Amber mah unless they want to, then I think that's great. At least they are pushing their dogs to a higher level & striving for anything they could strive for. Actually, just OB train it. It's good enough. Or something instead of making it stay at home & become couch potatoes all day & do nothing at all in its entire life! Or just let the dog live in the porch & become guard dogs. Especially Pedigrees. For example, what are Silkies bred for? If they are bred for a reason, then train it to do that certain job. If cannot, then at least OB train it... Not too difficult right? The reason why we got dogs was not only becoz we want dogs just for a change after having cats for almost 15 years & the reason why we got pedigrees was not becoz we dislike mongrels. We got dogs becoz we want to enjoy life & activities with them. We work as teams & we try every single thing that life has got to offer, new activities, whatever no matter how hard they are! We strive for everything! And the reason why we got Pedigrees was becoz we know their characters & personalities & they were bred to do a certain job like for example Goldens, they were bred to mainly do retrieving. Dalmatians were bred to become fire dogs. Since there's no such sports here in Malaysia, we do something else instead which is OB. And then we slowly progressed & started doing other sports & stuff. There's nothing wrong with breeding dogs for shows but it's very important that the dog has brains too... When the dog is intelligent, don't let it go to waste. Dogs having brains is very important more than beauty actually... But, it's always nice to have both, isn't it? There's one dog who I know who is a Grand Champion Show Dog, OB Champion & Tracking Champion. This is a Gordon Setter from Australia. Now this is what I call a full package! Amber's gonna breed with a well trained male Golden in a few months time & we are gonna make sure that the pups are sold to people who WILL bring them for training. Everybody will want an intelligent dog, wouldn't ya? If I would to buy another pup next time, I will buy a pup that comes from parents who are well trained. At least I know the pup's genes are good & it should be just as intelligent as its parents. I will forget about its beauty 1st to be honest... But like I said earlier on, it's nice to have both instead of one only.Frown

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 17, 2008, 7:38 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 17, 2008, 3:42 PM

Post #4 of 60 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Basicallly in this tread is about you telling the whole world you own 3 dogs with beauty & brain.

Then condem other dog owners that they are owning dog for the wrong reason.

Amber.Faith you must understand everyone is different. Everyone have their own life. You have yours too. Not every dog owners have time to train their dog to become a champion whether in showring or agility.

We as a human being that owned dog must gave our uncondition love to the dog. That is the most important thing of owning a dog. What is the point when you train a dog that win BIG in showring or agility but you just ignore and put them aside at home. I see many of this kind of ppls. They just are not dog lover, they using the dog as a tool to become famous. They employ trainer to train the dog when the time come for competition they just handle the dog only.

Good luck in your breeding.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 19, 2008, 2:18 AM

Post #5 of 60 (3931 views)
Shortcut

Wahhhh!!! Condemn ah??? That's not a very nice word to use here... I didn't find any passage or line that was condemning. I think you better read my original post & my previous reply one more time. Chrisong, every single dog no matter what breed, your dogs, my dogs, other people's dogs, they ALL have their own beauty & brains. Don't your dogs have too? Ofcourse you will say yes! Don't other people's dogs have too? Ofcourse they will say yes too!

Chrisong, in my previous reply, I did not mention that their owners or even you have to train your dogs till champions! I thought I mentioned, just train OB, it is good enough. Training is very very very important no matter what breed the dog is, no matter which line it comes from & no matter if it was a stray before or not.

If you were an OB trainer, you would understand & would tell this to all your students too. Ofcourse the dog requires love & care & no, I have not met any dogs that have been neglected nor mistreated but are well trained & champions. If I was mistreating Amber, just using her to win everything becoz I WANT her to, then wouldn't she look like shit by today? Wouldn't she not love me? Wouldn't she be in bad shape by now? Definitely yes but she's not becoz I love & care for her & ofcourse I want her to be good in anything that she can do! If I knew what was hurting her or was making her not happy, I would stop right away.

It is very important that the dog's brain is developed. Say you have a child. You make him/her go to school. Why do you want to make your child go to school when he/she already has so much love & care & all the things that he/she needs in his/her life? What for? It's becoz you want his/her brains to develop so that he/she can have a carrier next time, right? Well, dogs should be given the same opportunity too. And again, I'm not telling everyone in the world that they MUST train their dogs till they excel & become champions. No, just train your dog OB if you can't train it for something else. Is that too much to ask?

Okay, here's some common sense. If they have time to watch television everyday, if they have time to cook, if they have time to use the computer & if they have time to bathe their dogs every week, why can't they have time to train their dogs? No one is asking them to train their dogs everyday! Atleast bring the dog to school for one hour class only. Or if really really really really cannot, then 5 mins at home. I think it's so simple. Just put in a little effort, that's all! Or else the dog's brain become kosong, you know?

It's great to have a dog that gives love back to you but wouldn't it be much wonderful if it was trained too? I think so & I think other people think so too especially those who have trained their dogs. Everybody will ant a beautiful & intelligent dog. I don't know about you but I think your dogs are beautiful but it's up to you if you want to rain. Hey, we trainers can only give advice to dog owners & it's really up to them if they want to do it or not. Just like us trying to tell irresponsible owners who let their dogs loose. We tell them not to & tell them the consequences on having a dog loose on the road & so on. If they want to listen, then great but if they don't, is there anything we an do? Only punishment for the irresponsible owners lah but for training, we can't punish the owners.

You're right, it depends on every owners & their lifestyle but a little effort is required. But that excuse you made in the previous reply is not good at all.

So this is my advice to all owners. Train your dogs & develop dog's brains. Dogs need guidance in their lives & they look up to you as their masters. Most important thing that the dogs require the most is ofcourse love & care but the number two most important thing is TRAINING.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 19, 2008, 3:22 AM

Post #6 of 60 (3923 views)
Shortcut

Oh & about the breeding, if there's any advice you'd like to give, please do. My Dalmatian's breeder is now breeding Poodles. And he said, when his male dog mates with his female, he says they both don't really have to have a lock in order for the female to get pregnant. His female got pregnant without any lock. Can this happen sometimes? Or is it just a 50-50 percent chance only? And then he said, breeding is not much work at all. Is it true?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2008, 4:11 PM

Post #7 of 60 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Waaa... Dun be so direct la.. even if this is the truth. But I do agree with you. No point replying more to this thread.

P/S: Amber why do you post something when you can't take people's comment? This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their own comments. Of cos we can't see the dirt on our own nose so when other people sees it we have to accept it. Truth hurts right? So dun post something that will backfire on you.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 19, 2008, 4:28 PM

Post #8 of 60 (3906 views)
Shortcut

Hi Amber, do not worry about it as I am sure you are not Chris do have a knack saying the wrong things at the wrong time.. most of the time. There are posting complaining about him, he stay low profile for awhile and now seems to have resurface. Do note he too advertise how many dogs he has at the end of each posting so he really can't talk. You do what you know is right and am sure Chris will do what he thinks is right. Oh, Christ you mentioned about dog shows and MKA not doing anything about organising shows for 2008, did you go to the EGM, did you vote? If not, then not much to say. (Subject on show will not be mention again on this thread so please need not point it out.)

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 19, 2008, 4:45 PM

Post #9 of 60 (3902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

Vote? You must be joking.

Both side also lousy ppls. All of them look like gangters. So childish.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Feb 19, 2008, 4:53 PM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 19, 2008, 4:57 PM

Post #10 of 60 (3893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry lah. Since someone posted a thread. Amber.Faith also need ppls response right? If she can't take ppls comment. That's fine for me.

I have no hard feeling not like some ppls just like to come in add more petrol into a fire.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 19, 2008, 9:45 PM

Post #11 of 60 (3866 views)
Shortcut

Fair comment, but not voting is not helping plus complaining here is not doing any good either. So now would you like to run for presidency or if not do you know who the oppositions are?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 4:04 AM

Post #12 of 60 (3843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Beauty & Brains [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I get really confused becoz the WHOLE point of this post was just "train your dogs". That was it! I did not condemn those who show their dogs, I did not condemn who just keep dogs as pets & I did not condemn those who just make their dogs become champions & then don't love them. And yes, I would love to hear what others would say but I don't really like it when people just backfire you when this post was just to tell people that no matter what breed your dog is, all dogs should be trained. Maybe Chrisong did not really understand the whole point of this post. Maybe not just him, maybe others too... So what I try to do here is, I try to make them understand what I'm trying to say. But when people just say, "You condemn this lah you condemn that lah!" without even understanding what was my purpose of posting this post here in the 1st place, then I really need to rephrase & explain to them one more time. I also can't stand people who compare my age with others & talk like they know more than me when they don't even know me or know what I do. I shall not name who that person is becoz it's not appropriate or nice to do so... So sometimes, I get really really confused. This post was not started to start fights or debates. I'm sure you understand what this post is all about right Acsyen? That's why I have a feeling Chrisong misunderstood something that was written in my original post... I don't dislike him becoz of this. All he needed was just a little bit of explanation that's all! But sometimes he can be a little too direct...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 20, 2008, 4:33 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2008, 4:13 AM

Post #13 of 60 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Amber.Faith no feeling OKWink

Forum is for ppls to express their opinion. If you can't take ppls comment better don't post. Is that simple.

That why when you reply me. I also didn't reply u back cause both of our view are different. Like what acsyen say no point continue for discussion. But there are some ppls like to make thing worst in the forum by adding some salt & pepper to make the topic spice up.

So just continue your wonderful work with your dogs.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2008, 4:17 AM

Post #14 of 60 (3839 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Fair comment, but not voting is not helping plus complaining here is not doing any good either. So now would you like to run for presidency or if not do you know who the oppositions are?

I have much more better thing to do than involving myself in this stupid dog politic.

All bunch of crazy dogs bitting each other. I enjoying myself watching all the drama going on now

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 4:26 AM

Post #15 of 60 (3836 views)
Shortcut

Neh, I'm fine... I just hope you understood what was my whole purpose of posting that post in the 1st place. It's nothing about show dogs & all that. I was just trying to tell others that training is very very important.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 4:41 AM

Post #16 of 60 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Hi PSY, maybe he got a little offended when I put that quote in but I wasn't the one who wrote the quote, it was someone else & I think that quote makes sense. I understand you do train dogs too right? I think you understand this quote. Do you think training is very important too all dogs? I think so. I really think dog's brains & body should be utilized.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2008, 5:13 AM

Post #17 of 60 (3825 views)
Shortcut

I know what is OB & agility. Before I started involving in dog show, first thing I do was train with my dogs in OB at MKA. I totally understand wat it take to train up a well handle dog doing well in OB or agility.

That why I say. Not everyone is free like you. Everyone have their life. Some work from 9am-5pm, some even have to work on weekend, does that mean this ppls can't have dog? NO. They can have dog provided they gave the dog basic need like shelter, food, & lot of LOVE!!! Training in OB & agility is OPTIONAL is not a MUST thing to do with dog.

Unless you are talking about other training that I didn't know.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 6:21 AM

Post #18 of 60 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Actually the truth is, training is love. Sure training it's not a compulsory thing but they SHOULD be trained to stimulate it mentally & physically. Whenever they are free, they should put some effort into training it. Just like I said, cannot bring it to school once a week, if that bad, then train it at home. 5 mins is good enough! But keep on going. Training is for life. There's never an ending to training. Spend time with the dog. Sure, getting a dog as a companion, is totally fine. Nothing wrong with that but training makes you spent time with the dog, bond with the dog, work as a team. We got dogs as companions too but we go around together, work together, do activities together. That's what I call bonding. So training is one of the MOST important thing becoz training is love. No one would train their dogs when they do not love them. Becoz training is spending time with them...

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 3:55 PM

Post #19 of 60 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Ok, see how things are going out of context, one thing leading to another. My personal feeling is what ever the breed, know your breed, what it was bred to do and keep to the standard accepted by norm and train it to show off the attribute of the breed. In short, breed a better dog and train it to do what it is suppose to do, this means obedience, (listenning to command). To Chris, as for "time availability" if you cannot and do not know how to "time manage yourself" do not have so many hobbies. I, too work 9 to 5 plus on call at times, I manage to work my dogs every day so I cannot see why you can't as you come across to be an expert in dogs in particular silkies. On MKA, things aren't, to many, looking good but know this, I did my part, you didn't so don't complain.

Amber, not going to string this thread on anymore as someone out there is going to write "this is the wrong thread"

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2008, 6:37 PM

Post #20 of 60 (3785 views)
Shortcut

For you training is love. But you cannot apply this to all other dog owners that they must follow what you do best. This is call selfish.

Other dog owners show their love in different way like pampering their dog and treat them like King & Queen in the house. That also is call love.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2008, 6:45 PM

Post #21 of 60 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Why you say I didn't train my dogs? Did I say I didn't have time do to it. Please read my post carefully before writing something I didn't say.

I only disagree with Amber.Faith regarding training dog is a MUST to all dog owner.

She might have the time & passion in training her dogs but this cannot apply to all dog owners must follow her foot step.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 8:16 PM

Post #22 of 60 (3772 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I know what is OB & agility. Before I started involving in dog show, first thing I do was train with my dogs in OB at MKA. I totally understand wat it take to train up a well handle dog doing well in OB or agility.

That why I say. Not everyone is free like you. Everyone have their life. Some work from 9am-5pm, some even have to work on weekend, does that mean this ppls can't have dog? NO. They can have dog provided they gave the dog basic need like shelter, food, & lot of LOVE!!! Training in OB & agility is OPTIONAL is not a MUST thing to do with dog.

Unless you are talking about other training that I didn't know.

The above that you have written, implied so. If otherwise then maybe you should make it clear. As you well know from previous posting you have put yourself in this predicament and yet you have not change so it is only obvious to conclude that you are doing it delibrately. Check out "Chit Chat" ( I think) on forum members complain.

chrisong
Doggyman

Feb 20, 2008, 8:54 PM

Post #23 of 60 (3766 views)
Shortcut

Implying I not training my dogs? Hmmmm..........can please tell us how u concluded my above statement that didn't train my dogs?

Please stop insulting ppls & stick to the orginal post discussion. Thank you.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 20, 2008, 9:19 PM

Post #24 of 60 (3756 views)
Shortcut

You implied you have no time.... so it is also obvious you have no time to train, everything you say and other response and then you get all knotted up. "Not all people have time" you wrote it not me. Please if there is nothing contructive you can say do not say anything at all.... just apply the same attitude you have to MKA.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 21, 2008, 12:46 AM

Post #25 of 60 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Chrisong, this is not called selfish, this is called educating those who don't know how much benefit they can get from training their dogs. Honestly, I don't know where people & even you got this idea of pampering & treating dogs like queen & kings? Same thing with, tying dogs outside 24/7 & then calling their dogs "guard dogs" when they're actually not. Really, where did you guys get this idea from?

If you had a child, would you spoil it by giving it EVERYTHING he wants, what he wants to do only, disobeying & being rude to you, embarrassing you in public, crying & screaming at the top of its lungs & demanding? Is that what you want in a child? It's exactly the same as dogs. I have boarded one VERY spoiled & annoying Maltese once. OMG! I can't tell you how much I wanted to strangle it? It was all the owners fault for making her like that. The Maltese always demands to be carried, whine & whine & whine, refuse to eat the food that the owners give. Only wants human food. Wants to do her own thing, disobeys the owner, marking ALL over our house despite we scolding her (yes, we were the ones who infact had to scold her. The owners did nothing but just stood there & watched us cleaning up her pee) but when the owner is supposed to correct the dog, she carries it instead. I mean like what??? And then complain, oh why my dog always make so much noise & pee all over the house ah? I would have told her straight away that it was infact HER fault for spoiling her dog till it's like one spoiled child! But ofcourse how can I do that right...

Dogs are not cats. Dogs have the tendency of disobeying & disrespecting the owners. We as trainers always tell owners to NEVER carry their small dogs too often becoz this will make them so spoiled & the moment the owners put them down on the ground, they become so scared & then demands to be carried again.

Dogs are dogs. They were not made as fashion accessories or as trophies. "They were made for a purpose". This is what I'm trying to tell you. If the owner wants to get a dog, sure nothing wrong with that! But what do they want in a dog? Even if they say they want it as a guard dog only, train it to be like one. Don't call it a guard dog when it doesn't behave like one. Most people's idea of a guard dog is, fierce & aggressive. All they can do is bark bark bark & then bite people. That is not a guard dog! The so-called guard dogs can't tell the difference between a postman, neighbors & a thieve. It can bite anybody! I also don't get it when rescuers try to find new homes for the dogs they have rescued. I respect what they do & I know one or two here who vet each new owner to make sure that the dogs they've rescued, goes to new loving homes. But when they call the dog "very good guard dog", it's like, what is that suppose to mean? Hey, I can call my dogs guard dogs too. They bark at everyone who walk pass our house but the moment the thieve actually comes in, they run away. Same thing with the other dogs that I see in the neighborhood. They show aggressiveness behind the bars but when my dogs come close or even if we come close, they move back & hide. Is this what we call guard dogs?

So, let me clarify one more time. TRAINING IS VERY IMPORTANT no matter if your dog is a show dog, a mongrel, a beautiful or a ugly dog. Their brains must be developed or it really becomes vegetables & then they learn bad habits & wrong things! Those who pamper their dogs, sure love their dogs but they really are spoiling their dog's brains. You may think training is not so important, better think again. The dog is sharper, responds to you better, much more well behaved at home, listens to the owners & they make a much much more wonderful pets. Believe me... People will only realize this when they do train their dogs.

We trainers can only give advise & tell them what benefit they can get from a trained dog. But if they think training is not very important, then there's nothing else we can do. They will only realize it IF they put in some effort into training their dogs. And one more time, 5 mins at home, not a big deal!

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 21, 2008, 12:58 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my