Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Hi...I'm a newbie staying in Penang but originally from Ipoh...

AB
New User

Feb 16, 2008, 2:32 AM

Post #1 of 6 (958 views)
Shortcut
Hi...I'm a newbie staying in Penang but originally from Ipoh... Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm terribly in need of help..I just moved into my new house in Penang and only to discover that the house is infested with brown dog ticks...I have caught about 20 of them crawling in the house after a few days moving in and before bringing my shih tzu back from Ipoh, I have already put her on frontline spot-on. On the first few hours after she enter the house, I have already found 5 horrible creatures on her body.The count drop after a few days..She never has ticks before as I keep her indoor when I stayed in the apartment last time....Up to yesterday, I did not find any on her body but I'm still worried as I'm not sure how could these creatures invaded my house...It is a newly renovated house and I knew there are lots of stray dogs around my area...My opposite neighbour has 2 big dogs as well...I feel so irritated and am terribly worried as yesterday while driving home, I saw one on my car seat as well....Is so terrible...I have called Rentokil (pest control) to do some inspection to see what they can do. My next door neighbour told me they do not encounter such problem but how come I did? Unsure

I have read thru the forum and am thinking of using eucalyptus oil / Bayticol to see if I make clear these creatures out from my house forever...Any idea where to get Bayticol in Penang?

CHUKCHI
Novice

Feb 16, 2008, 9:09 AM

Post #2 of 6 (949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AB] Hi...I'm a newbie staying in Penang but originally from Ipoh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh...I know what to do....

Once upon a time, I had a beautiful collie which was fine until we took a run in a nearby playground. Then she got ticks. We tried everything, she was scratching like mad, we almost shaved her....we were wondering why the ticks won't die despite all the baths.

Coincidentally, I had a mango tree in my garden and the red ants were becoming a nuisance, so one day after we had the grass cut we spray the ant-killer (the white colour ant powder which you have to mix in water...get what I mean) all over the garden, to kill the ants. And presto...the ticks dissapeared!!!!

They live in all the crevices and only feed on the dog!!!

Since your dog is small, maybe a haircut will make things easier for now while you're killing the ticks. And bath the dog head first so they don't run and hide in the ears....

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 16, 2008, 10:51 AM

Post #3 of 6 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AB] Hi...I'm a newbie staying in Penang but originally from Ipoh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Similar case happened to my neighbors house but it was cat fleas! Even more teruk than dog ticks becoz they jump very fast & are impossible to catch & kill. They even prey on humans... They were wondering why there are so many fleas in the house so suddenly after living there for a year plus now & they rare no cats. However, the neighbors behind their house has stray cats. So it's either a cat has died in the roof & the leas had to search for food, so they came down or a cat is alive in the roof. But usually ticks & fleas will not leave the animal's body when there's an animal there. They will only prey on humans when they're desperate only... So anyway, they fumigated the whole house, ripped up the whole couch, everything till there's no more fleas left! So I think, it's advisable to do the same thing to. Board your dog at someone's place or the vet's for a day or two then you fumigate the whole entire house & your car with 'racun serangga' which you can buy from hardware shop. Spray everywhere, every corners,. Wash bed sheets, pillow cases, everything that can be washed! This wll help. We did the same thing too last time when our house was infested with ticks... Frontline Spot On kills ticks that sucks the dog's blood but new ones will come back on. So it doesn't really help lah but t does prevent ticks but not 100%...

AB
New User

Feb 16, 2008, 6:22 PM

Post #4 of 6 (937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Hi...I'm a newbie staying in Penang but originally from Ipoh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Chukchi, thanks Amber...at least i know there r some examples where the prob could be solved...

I'll follow your advise and see if those creatures will dissapear...Chukchi, I don't have any fruit tress in my garden but there's a big shade tree planted in front of my house by the MPPP...There are lots of black ants and not red ones..The ants powder will work on the black ants too??

I checked on my shih tzu yesterday night and found one crawling on her body looking for a suitable spot...Is so geli... Basically so far, i could spot 1 a day...I could not find where these creatures came from...If i can, it sures will solve the problem..I will fumigate the whole house and hopes it will kills the eggs as well...I suspect there shud be alot of eggs ard though i could not see any as on my shih tzu's body, I found a few very tiny ticks...very very tiny...

I realise frontline spot-on works on my shih tzu as I found a few of those creatures dried up on d floor and on her body as well..The stats did drop quite significantly but like Amber said, it doesn't help as the new ones are continuing attacking...My case, abt one per day...I want a total swipe off...I could not bear to leave with those creatures....Mad...

CHUKCHI
Novice

Feb 16, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #5 of 6 (936 views)
Shortcut

oh...I hate ticks too. I can totally understand the frustration. Spray the place, not fumigate. They actually lay eggs in the crevices and not always on the dogs. So even the wall that surrounds the garden is a problem...especially if they are stone/brick walls or those with the bumpy paint finish.Or picket fences....

And the ant powder will kill ants and also termites, so that's a good thing. And be careful in case your shitzu is a licker and might poison herself.

Dog ticks don't really jump and they will bite humans or crawling babies...it'll not do anything to us but it'll itch and I don't think kids tolerate it as well.

Now I have two huskies, and they are tick free(thankfully) I think the fact that we swim at the beach quite often helps because the salt water really gets to the skin.

So, if you shower your shitzu instead of soaking her in a bath, now might be a good time to start. Frontline is good but if you keep spraying direct contact on the skin, she might get inflammation there. I use McLee's once in a while when I am paranoid that the stray dogs come too often to my gates....and it works...

Spray where the dog cannot reach when scratching herself...like the back of her neck and above her shoulders, the webs of her paws, root of her tail and in the ear (ok, you cannot spray into her ear) The rest she can actually reach the ticks and bite them off, so they'll hide in these hard to reach places.

May the ticks die and never return!!!!I know that this is war, they may have the quantity but we are the advance army with the right ammo Frown

(This post was edited by CHUKCHI on Feb 16, 2008, 7:50 PM)

CHUKCHI
Novice

Feb 16, 2008, 7:54 PM

Post #6 of 6 (931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Hi...I'm a newbie staying in Penang but originally from Ipoh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amber....I like the dog photo with the clothes pegs. Such a good doggie to sit and let you take photo...Mine would be a shaking and howling husky with clothes peg shrapnels in all directions....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my