Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
My Spitz has heart problem

cplee
New User

Jun 4, 2003, 7:32 AM

Post #1 of 5 (727 views)
Shortcut
My Spitz has heart problem Can't Post

My female Spitz is 13 years old. Was spayed before 1 and been tip top condition. 8 months ago, doctor diagnose weak heart and have since been on Fortekor 5. Good appetite and normal urine and stools. Recently, start to cough. After a course of antibiotics, she improved but she is coughing again now. The cough should be related to her heart.

Please let me know if you have any good advice on treatment or good doctor. Thanks.Tongue

(This post was edited by cplee on Jun 4, 2003, 7:39 AM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2003, 5:12 PM

Post #2 of 5 (722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cplee] My Spitz has heart problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi cplee Smile

You're about just the only one I've come across in this forum who has a Spitz!! My avatar shows my first Spitz, a male (who's now missing) he should be 4 1/2 years. I now have a Spitz puppy who's 4 months old.

So sorry to hear about your SPitz Frown Have you tried to consult another doctor for a second opinion? I'm sorry, I have never had this experience b4 so I can't offer you any advice. But I just currently found a new vet and he's pretty good and very kind to animals...if you want a second opinion from a different vet and u want to try him out, you can email me at mich_wonghl@hotmail.com and I can email you the vet's details.

Please give a belly rub to ur doggie on my behalf Smile

cplee
New User

Jun 4, 2003, 9:21 PM

Post #3 of 5 (715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] My Spitz has heart problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate if you could send me the clinic details.

I have another white colour female spitz who is 5 this year. Will try to scan u a photo. She is the queen of the house. Very adorable.

I lost another white male spitz last year . He was 13 then. Had a growth at his 'usus besar'. Cough a bit and was gone. Really miss him a lot. Very dear to me and my sisters.

If you have any questions on Spitz, I would be gald to help. My vet say I am quite pro with themSmile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 4, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cplee] My Spitz has heart problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi cplee, Smile

Actually I did a search and managed to find a thread with details of the doctor's clinic. Please see http://www.puppy.com.my/...cgi?post=20645#20645

Hope he can help you with your poor doggie. I dunno if he can find out what's wrong with ur dog or not, but I like him and so does my puppy cause he's very kind and friendly.

Wow...u have quite a few Spitzs! Do you keep other breeds as well? And are your doggies pedigree? both my Spitz are not pedigree. In fact the first one was a Spitz mix Dachshund. The one I have now, well both his parents are Spitz according to my uncle but I suspect somewhere along the line he's also mixed with some other breeds. Cause he has big ears and his fur is not pure white. Frown You can see both of them in the photo gallery. Just run a search using my username Smile I can't wait to see pics of ur doggies too!

I do have a lot of questions to ask about Spitz! Like, do u send them for grooming? Anything special to feed them to improve quality of their coat? Do u do agility with them? hehehe...sorry ya if I asked too much. Just excited to meet someone with a Spitz finally. Almost all the members got 'gang' one...kekek...finally I meet one also LaughLaugh

I really hope you can make it for the gathering in Kota Kemuning on the 15th this month!! Hope to see u and ur spitzies Cool

cplee
New User

Jun 5, 2003, 12:03 AM

Post #5 of 5 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] My Spitz has heart problem [In reply to] Can't Post

As at last September, I have 3 Spitz, Lucky, Happy, Tong Tong and 1 NZ Shepherd, Becky.They are not pedigree, no professional train but well trained by my mom, sisters and me. Simple instructions like eat, go out, sit, up, come, stop barking are no issues.Lucky was adopted from the market. Very prim and proper. sit cross hands. eat and drink slowly.Has a charming smile, will nod her head when looking at u from far. Favourite act - ask u to scrach her back.Is the Big sister of the house. If others misbehave, she will scold. Any visitors at the door, no problem, she will run into the house to inform.She is now with the heart problem.
Happy, white male went last September at 13. White and very leng chai. Whenever there's bitch o heat, I'll find visitors at my gate waiting for him. Used to eat fly, but after many scolding and asking him to vomit it out, he got the message. Love local durians.
Becky,8, very motherly, took care of Tong Tong and other puppies I used to caretake. Will lick them clean and sayang them if cry. Don't bark much but bite.Never miss killing any rat without shedding blood.Last October, she lost her battle against the complications arising from a womb growth. Tong Tong is very grumpy.LOts to complain in morning and evening when u return from work. Very sticky to my mom too. Recently, I adopted a 'pariah' from SPCA, Wai Wai. Very beautiful and big too. Still very naughty and her nick name is 'koh mui'.

On your question of grooming, I groom them myself. Good to start young. Trimming fur or nails are good in building good relationship and trust. Used to massage them sometimes too. Careful that yr Spitz do not eat too much of its fur as it can cause cough and fever due to throat infection. Very togh on the dog. Happy had that problem before. Food wise, cod liver oil is good for health and fur. Natural calcium such as the soft bones of chicken is good.Btw, you may wanna consult yr vet on when to start the heartworm tablet. Monthly tablet better than annual booster.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my