Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Tick disease

Maru
Novice

Jan 29, 2008, 12:30 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Tick disease Can't Post

Anybody heard about Tick borne disease? My 2 months Jack Russell puppy has been diagnosed with this, her blood tests

shows high white cells and low red cells, she is a bit anemic and her poo looks soft, gelly with some blood. She needs to take

medicine for four weeks anti diarrhea and multivitamins. The good thing is that she is willing to eat (special food i/d)

and she is playful too.

Thanks,

M

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 31, 2008, 9:40 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Maru] Tick disease [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually called Tick Fever not tick disease, hehe! ell, tick fever is dangerous & can spread to another dog IF the infected tick will jump onto another dog. It's curable! I'm sure the vet knows what to give... We rescued an Akita on the road & she was infected with Tick Fever. Her white & red blood cells were very low & her gums & tongue were white. She still had appetite but she could hardly walk. After two months living with us & taking medication, she's a happy girl & is healthy!

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2008, 7:01 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2279 views)
Shortcut

that's so unfortunately..

we dogs alwiz have ticks living in this hot n humid country.... there's no way to prevent ticks..

sometime the ticks even under evolution to tolerate frontline and bayticol...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

osward
Novice

Mar 11, 2008, 8:46 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Tick disease [In reply to] Can't Post

tick tick tick .. me my self also very worry of tick.. exspecialy when put my dog into pet hotel.. sure kena one.. haiiii .. sometime bring my dog go jalan jalan also not dare walk on those grass.. well off coz got put anti tick laaa every 6 month..

you know what ?? tick also can develop on human .. see this http://www.mayoclinic.com/...d-tick-bites/FA00062

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 11, 2008, 8:54 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osward] Tick disease [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe becoz my dog's is smelly...Laugh she don't usually prone to ticks infestation..

even i bring her out to jungle every weekend..

i don't use frontline either... but i spent time to do inspection on her almost everyday.... so far, she only got 1 or 2 odd ticks occasionally...i juz catch it and kill it.....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2008, 8:49 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Tick disease [In reply to] Can't Post

the ticks must have came from you then

*hides*

shapeshifter

Mar 25, 2008, 7:09 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2187 views)
Shortcut

Mate, the date on your first post was 28 Jan 2008.

My 11 yr old Japanese Spitz had died 2 days before of Ehrlichiosis, one of few tick-borne diseases.

I had only found out after the blood test results came back, just after she died.

Heartbroken.

If detected early, I reckon they'll treat it with antibiotics, and sometimes a blood transfusion if necessary.

I don't know where my girl got it from, because none of my dogs have had ticks in 10 + years.

Hope your pup's well now, and pls update us!
~ A dog is the only one who will love you more than you love yourself~

Maru
Novice

Mar 26, 2008, 3:46 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shapeshifter] Tick disease [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, sorry about your doggie. this deseases are very dangerous if not detected...

luckily my dog is recovered, after taking the medicines and complete the dewarming no more diarrhea or vomit.

She's very happy, playful and energetic.

Thanks for the answers, the best advise is always take your doggies to a reliable vet and have them treated.

Cheers!

M

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my