Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Dog Fight!!!

Popeye2002
New User

Jan 25, 2008, 7:52 PM

Post #1 of 7 (10295 views)
Shortcut
Dog Fight!!! Can't Post

Please help, my dog will go crazy when he see any dog out there that are bigger then him....... (Always lose to other dog).

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 1, 2008, 10:03 AM

Post #2 of 7 (10225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Popeye2002] Dog Fight!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Well, you'll need to train your dog not to do so when he sees another dog on the streets when he's out. This is my method of training dogs that always want to go after another dog, child, other people, etc.

Fill a small coke/water bottle with stones. Always bring it along with you during walks with your dog. Hold the bottle in your other hand which you're not holding the leash & hide it on your side so that he doesn' see it & ask your dog to walk close to you on your side. If you see another dog walking somewhere in the distance, get ready but still continue walking until your dog starts behaving aggressively. The moment he does, immediately shake the bottle very hard right in front of its eyes whilst (at the same time) saying a firm loud, "NOOOO!!!" It's important tha he sees it & hears you. And then, continue to walk...

Your dog should get a shock & go down with tail tucked between its legs. If he does, then you know it's working. This may take a few days or weeks for him to stop behaving like a hooligan when he sees another dog but make sure you're consistent with it. Not one day you use the bottle & then th next day, you forget or don't want to. Then no point!

Remember, the bottle is not for hitting him & also remember, NOT to do it too often! ONLY when he starts behaving crazy, straining on the leash & wanting to get to the other dog. The important thing is that you don't want to desensitize him with the bottle. Meaning, you don't want him to get used to the sound of the bottle shaking in front of his face. If you do it too often, sooner or later, he will not respond to it & you'll need to use another method as a correction.

I also ask my students to use this correction devise on their stubborn dogs but unfortunately on of them, used it too often & the dog is no longer afraid of it. So becareful & try this method & then after one week, you tell me how it goes aight?

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Feb 1, 2008, 10:16 AM)

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 2, 2008, 4:07 AM

Post #3 of 7 (10209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Popeye2002] Dog Fight!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

To distract your dog, the way to do this is when you walk pass a house with a dog, sit your dog, stand in front of it and command it to look at you, once the dog's eye meet yours you praise it, treats whatever, do it a few times then walk on. The "sit" position is like an observation stance. Take the attention away, command it to do other things and after a spell he would get use to do not getting irritated by other dogs.

mccool
Novice

Feb 3, 2008, 6:01 AM

Post #4 of 7 (10190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Dog Fight!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am facing the same problem too. My dog, Tiger is too aggressive while seeing another dog, and even to his elder brother sometimes.

Maybe his size is bigger than his brother. These two brothers were once fighting until the elder brother get hurt. I was so shocked seeing his brother was bleeding a lot.

Nowadays, the elder brother is frighten of him and likes to hide under the car. When the elder brother trying to get out from the car, Tiger keeps growling and ignoring me when I said 'NOoOOOO'...

Or Maybe I should try using the method of you guys?????

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 3, 2008, 6:46 AM

Post #5 of 7 (10187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccool] Dog Fight!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No, it will not work simply due to the fact that Tiger thinks he is rank higher than you so your "Noooo" is nothing to him, I suggest you either give Tiger away or put it down.... harsh it is, why, if you give it away, do you think it will be no. 2 to a new owner and will not snap or bite, if so then re-house it.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Feb 12, 2008, 10:02 PM

Post #6 of 7 (9974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mccool] Dog Fight!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

don't have to put the dog down don't worry. what you might need to do though is regain your rank if what PSY said is true. Also are you just "saying" No or stern and loud?

maybe you can also try calling him to you instead of just saying "no". does he like water? Sly water and food is a very good attention getter but your timing is very crucial. if he's growling at your other dog and you give food, that's like praising. you'll need to get his attention, ask him to sit or whatever you want, then treat. as soon as he or want to start again quickly get his attention again. if he loves water then turn on the hose and start playing to get his attention. if he hates it then turn on the hose whenever he starts to snarl at your other dog.

but importantly, what PSY mentioned, is you need to be the alpha. if u ain't, start working on it. :D

PSY
K9 Kaki

Feb 12, 2008, 10:51 PM

Post #7 of 7 (9971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Dog Fight!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In general, this is what I term as bad breeding and secondly, bad up bringing. You may not be directly at fault as it is not in your character to dominate so Tiger has decided to take over. As Zephros has mentioned you can try other ways but I would just cut to the chase as I have been thru it and once I gave a dog of mine to Paws, the rest of my dogs and most importantly "me", have peace oh, and that silly dog I gave away was adopted by a security firm and worked for living.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my