IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Puppy saliva flow out from mouth

labradorfan

Jan 24, 2008, 5:36 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Puppy saliva flow out from mouth Can't Post

Hi everyone,I would like to enquire something about my pup. She is a Rottweiler,now 10 weeks,shared by me and my bf.Earlier,we took her out for a walk around the taman and there were some strays and dogs at homes barking non stop.I was wondering why she 'coughed' out so much of saliva.DOes it mean she's scared?When is the perfect time for us to take her out for a walk?She's very friendly to every dogs but not other dogs can accept her.Apart from that,is it normal for her to shed so much of fur right now?Coz she has lost alot of fur all over her body.I need advice on this.I would appreciate if anyone can help me on these matters.Thank you.Wink

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 24, 2008, 8:20 AM

Post #2 of 13 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [labradorfan] Puppy saliva flow out from mouth [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, your explanation here not very clear lah... There could be many reasons why she was coughing out saliva. It's either her throat is dry after her walk, maybe a dust tickled her throat, maybe she has cough, maybe something got stuck in her throat & she's trying to get it out by coughing or maybe something else! It could be anything...

labradorfan

Jan 24, 2008, 9:44 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Puppy saliva flow out from mouth [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hmm, your explanation here not very clear lah... There could be many reasons why she was coughing out saliva. It's either her throat is dry after her walk, maybe a dust tickled her throat, maybe she has cough, maybe something got stuck in her throat & she's trying to get it out by coughing or maybe something else! It could be anything...

hi amber,what i meant is,when we take her out for a walk,she js keep drooling her saliva but when we took her home after the walk,the drooling stops.i was wondering whether she is scared of the environment that she's not used to or not.another thing,her fur shed so much and almost botak at some parts of her body.why ah?is it normal?thank you.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 24, 2008, 11:04 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1304 views)
Shortcut

Oh, I get it now. There could be two reasons why she's drooling only when she's outside of home. One, she may be very excited! Too excited until she starts drooling. Yes, there are dogs like that. Some dogs pee or bark out of excitement. Second, she may be nervous being out there. Is her tail tugged between her legs when walking? If yes, then she's very scared & nervous being in the outside world. But if the tail is up & wagging, then she's just over excited about her walk.

About the shedding problem, is she shedding on certain parts only like in patches? If yes, then she's having some hormone problems. My Amber(the one in the avatar) had this problem twice when she was younger & she had big bald spots here & there on her body. It's not like all together shedding, only certain spots like you mentioned about your dog. Amber got it after she had her 1st & 2nd heat. It's hormone imbalance & she had to take some hormone pills prescribed by the doctor. Only the 1st time we gave her pills but after the 2nd time, we just let it be & it all grew back by itself. But if she's shedding all over, then she's just shedding. It's normal in all dogs, not to worry. It will stop after a while & the hair will grow back.

labradorfan

Jan 25, 2008, 1:31 AM

Post #5 of 13 (1293 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Oh, I get it now. There could be two reasons why she's drooling only when she's outside of home. One, she may be very excited! Too excited until she starts drooling. Yes, there are dogs like that. Some dogs pee or bark out of excitement. Second, she may be nervous being out there. Is her tail tugged between her legs when walking? If yes, then she's very scared & nervous being in the outside world. But if the tail is up & wagging, then she's just over excited about her walk.

About the shedding problem, is she shedding on certain parts only like in patches? If yes, then she's having some hormone problems. My Amber(the one in the avatar) had this problem twice when she was younger & she had big bald spots here & there on her body. It's not like all together shedding, only certain spots like you mentioned about your dog. Amber got it after she had her 1st & 2nd heat. It's hormone imbalance & she had to take some hormone pills prescribed by the doctor. Only the 1st time we gave her pills but after the 2nd time, we just let it be & it all grew back by itself. But if she's shedding all over, then she's just shedding. It's normal in all dogs, not to worry. It will stop after a while & the hair will grow back.

hi amber,thank you for your fast reply.first of all,she's a rottweiler,we bought her when her tail is docked out already.so we couldn't know whether she's scared or not.we can only assume she's scared from her facial expressions.when she's happy,we can see her little tail wagging...very cute.but when we took her for a walk,there is a ACS puppy,she wagged her tail so happily,guess she wants to make friends.but other strays,she also wags her tail but when they approach closer,she seems scared.i don't know whether her drooling is her excitement or scared.
another thing,is it normal for her only being 2 months 2 weeks,to shed alot?well,u can say overall,she shed from her head till her whole body.on her abdomen,there is little hair left,her hind legs,there are some patches of fur shedding and also her ears.now it also spreads to her nose.is it possible she sheds because her fur is changing to adult fur?thank you again.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 25, 2008, 8:43 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Oh, no wonder... She's still so small coz she's only 2 mths plus. Okay lah, some puppies are scared of bigger dogs. Adult mongrels should be around her size now or maybe bigger. Hehehe, she is a bit scared of dogs that are bigger & taller... Not to worry lah. Once she grows older & once she's well socialized with all types of dogs starting from this age, she will be fine soon. I think she's drooling out of excitement more than becoz she's scared. Not a serious problem lah. Woh, that's some serious shedding! By 2mths of age, shouldn't be shedding yet. Only by 6mths or older pups will start to shed. Maybe should bring her to the vet & ask the doctor why she;s shedding so much at this young age... Usually normal shedding, hair around the face & ears don't shed. Only the rest of the body & tail too.

labradorfan

Jan 25, 2008, 11:05 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1280 views)
Shortcut

thanks for your reply.maybe you're right.she's too excited but at the same time,scared as well.when she's bigger,i bet the other mongrel dogs will be scared of her coz her size will be bigger than them..heheh...bout her fur,i looked at her again today.it seems to me that her puppy fur,usually thick one,already thinning already.not so much of fur dropping and there is some new one growing.her ears there still the same.i am also thinking of another problem and it could be the food that maybe the culprit.earlier,4 1/2 weeks ago,we started feeding her meat by buying Pedigree canned food and mixed it with rice and her Acana Puppy Large Breed biscuits.She loves it but it became worse when we notice her fur dropping.I thought it would be natural for her fur to shed as maybe she's growing up and her fur changes. But now,we changed to Science Plan puppy canned food.Is it good?She has been eating that for a week.Thank you again.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 25, 2008, 6:38 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1271 views)
Shortcut

Wow, at this age already shedding ah? A bit too fast ha... It may be the food or the shampoo you use on her. Have you heard of LAMADERM? Well, that is a very special food for dogs with skin problems & also those who shed like mad. It's kibbles & it's not that easy to find in pet shops or at the vet's. Chloe was eating Lamaderm for about a few months but the moment she started eating eat, one week later, her shedding stopped! Literally! And then after a months later, her hair started to grow back but then a few months later, she started shedding again...Sigh... We are now feeding our dogs Royal Canin Obesity becoz both my Goldens are fat! You can check out the website. Just go to yahoo & search Lamaderm homepage. You can read all the details there & I really guarantee you, the shedding will stop & the coat becomes very very glossy! But unfortunately, once the body is used to the food about a months or so, it will not be affective again. So just feed her Lamaderm till her hair is fully grown back, & then change her food to something else but make sure the new food doesn't make her shed again. Change her shampoo too to a very light puppy shampoo.

labradorfan

Jan 26, 2008, 6:16 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1249 views)
Shortcut

thank you amber again for your help.may I know where to get Lamaderm,pls?I am from Penang btw.So,it could be due to either the food or the shampoo.I only bath her once a day and am using TulipsPets puppy shampoo.I don't think it's a heavy shampoo.It does have a very nice lavendar smell.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 26, 2008, 6:52 AM

Post #10 of 13 (1246 views)
Shortcut

You bathe her ONCE A DAY??? OMG!!! No wonder she's shedding... Poor girl. Aiyoh, not supposed to bathe dogs everyday lah. Only once a week or the maximum, once in every two weeks. For puppies, shouldn't bathe often also becoz they can get sick easily. Then maybe it's not the food... It's the bathing. Better stop beco this is no good for her skin & fur as her body will not produce enough natural oils & your dog's hair will become very dry & so does the skin.

labradorfan

Jan 26, 2008, 4:07 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1239 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You bathe her ONCE A DAY??? OMG!!! No wonder she's shedding... Poor girl. Aiyoh, not supposed to bathe dogs everyday lah. Only once a week or the maximum, once in every two weeks. For puppies, shouldn't bathe often also becoz they can get sick easily. Then maybe it's not the food... It's the bathing. Better stop beco this is no good for her skin & fur as her body will not produce enough natural oils & your dog's hair will become very dry & so does the skin.

oopsss...my mistake.it's once a week.i don't know why i type day...sorry for my mistake.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 27, 2008, 1:51 AM

Post #12 of 13 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Oh hahaha, okay. Phew! So then it's the food... In Penang not sure lah who sell but you could ask every pet shop & vets whether they have it or not. Usually you'll have to order from them 1st, then they will order it for you. It's never always on the shelf ready to be sold...

labradorfan

Jan 27, 2008, 6:24 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1211 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Oh hahaha, okay. Phew! So then it's the food... In Penang not sure lah who sell but you could ask every pet shop & vets whether they have it or not. Usually you'll have to order from them 1st, then they will order it for you. It's never always on the shelf ready to be sold...

Ohh...Then I guess I need to ask all those people then...Thank you very much for your help.Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my