Afraid for His Personality Development

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jun 3, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Afraid for His Personality Development Can't Post

Hi everybody,

My boyfriend Joshua got me a Golden Retriever pup for my birthday.

And Bumper is now a proud 6 months of age.

When Josh and I were living together, we had fun training the little dude the basic commands of sit, hand, and down. Not to mention stay.

Since then, I have moved back to my parents' place, both of us deciding that the garden was huge enough for this breed of dog.

We both work in advertising, therefore Bumper spends most of the afternoon with my Mum, and the early evenings with both Mum and Dad. I personally look to his training (at night or in the morning) as well as try to spend extra hours with him to make up for my absence. BTW< he sleeps with me at night as well.

In the past two weeks, Bumper has been demonstrating streaks of cheeky rebellion. I am not sure this has to do with the fact that he's phasing into his "teeny-bopper" years. But suspect that my parents being of the older generation treat doggies like, well, doggies.

I have debriefed my parents on what NOT to do with the dog, like: raise hands in threatening manner, or yell guttural voices when the right word is "NO" (to be consistent and therefore not confuse poor ol' Bumper).

Could somebody please enlighten me on what COULD be happening to me GR, so I can stop the damage befor it's too late?

He's still lovable and gentle when he's in the Saturday afternoon "lazy and calm" mode. But when he's active, he forgets commands, dashes away from you and can't even play fetch the way it is intended to be *grin*. Not all the time, but the change is there for sure.

Thanks so much in advance.
When I Grow Up I Wanna Be a Dog

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 5, 2003, 5:17 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bumper] Afraid for His Personality Development [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bumper,

I think your goldie is entering into his 'teenage' years when he's most likely to become rebellious like all teenagers do Wink....some dogs entering into this stage will 'forget' all the good manners that were taught to them in their puppyhood and that is why consistency is very important at this stage....pretty soon he'll start to mark territory Shocked....i think the best thing to do is to keep teaching him all the basic commands and manners and yah u'll hv to ask your parents to give the same commands too so as not to confuse him.....don't u just love teenage dogs? TongueCool

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jun 5, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Afraid for His Personality Development [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello to u and Biscuit. Smile

Thanks for the reassurance! I kinda suspected that might be the case.

Bumper's turning into a real digger. While my BF and I have hopes that he will take to swimming like most gun dogs, we suspect he might become a Landscaping Artist instead. No problems. The kids gotta choose their own destiny, heh heh.

Meanwhile, have already carefully instructed my parents to stick with usual commands. (My Dad secretly feeds him chicken meat because he reckons the kibble probably won't taste good enough. So he's been sounded on that part, *grin*).

Later!

wkser
ALPHA

Jun 5, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1062 views)
Shortcut

hi ,

what gina said is true,try to spend more time with bumper Golden is full of energy,try to bring bumper for a walk everyday and play fetch and throw with bumperWinkSmileand also try to send bumper for basic training and make sure neevr stop train you dog everyday ,you will see much different in bumper if you train him everyday WinkSmile golden is a very lovely dog

regards
kangser and nous

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 5, 2003, 11:58 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Yup ... what Gina and Kang Ser said was right... spend more time with your dog... At this very moment, she really needs all the attention she can get...

My lab ... during that period, I couldn't find anytime for her.... Guess what she did? She destroy my garden and all my plants.. My red palm tree ... from a 6ft tall tree became a 4ft tree....

But I hope this won't scare you...

Regards,
Swee ENg

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 6, 2003, 12:29 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Afraid for His Personality Development [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Swee Eng, Smile

haha...how did 6 ft become 4 ft?

My puppy is 4 months old now....and he's just picked up a new gardening hobby too. Unsure Each night we put him in our backyard which has a patch of grass and my mum planted pandan leaves and the err "kun yum chok" (kuan yin plant!!?) Once the 'garden' in our backyard was beautiful and plants were growing in abundance (also thanks to my first doggie RIchie who used to pee there and contribute to the health of the plants)......now it's just patch of half eaten plants.

He had ripped all the plants off the pots and leaves were everywhere and his paws always turn brown the next morning. Mad Maybe pandan leaves also very fragrant so he wanted a bit of snack. My mum just said maybe he was trying to build himself a nest. Tongue

He also has a habit of tugging at any cloth he can reach and then proceeds to rip them apart beyond recognition. And I dunno if this is out of stupidity or sheer curiosity but he swallowed the whole of my mum's facial sponge too UnsurePirate Maybe texture like sponge cake kua...Crazy

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 6, 2003, 5:49 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Afraid for His Personality Development [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha..ha... Mine is not very much different from yours too...

Mine will also pull down the clothes that we hang, bite of my Daisy plant that just open flower, bite everything she can get her hands on, la ...

But luckily now she's big already and more understanding ... but now .... my second lab is starting .... the wars begins again ... and it's time for me to put all my plants high up again....Pirate

Regards,
Swee Eng

serene_kwlim
K9 Maniac

Jun 7, 2003, 7:57 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Afraid for His Personality Development [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there,

i hv the same experience on my GR now, he's now 8 months old, likes to dig hole in my garden, tear off my sis sport shoe, eats paper fish which is hangigng on my plants!Crazy

tta's y we hv to keep en eye on him when he is roaming freely at our garden.!Pirate

regards,
Serene Lim
My furkids: Jamie & Max.

Jamie's WebSite
GSD Owner? Pls add in!

Jamie's Dogster
Max's Dogster

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jun 9, 2003, 5:15 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [serene_kwlim] Afraid for His Personality Development [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, I think most dogs have this instinct to dig. Back in the olden days, the wild dogs and wolves probably had to hide the food they hunt so it won't be stolen.

Bumper digs for fun tho'. Every time he comes in from the garden, it's "wipe feet time" *grin*.

The good thing about this silly pup is he only chews on his own brown sleeping blanket. When he was younger, however, he decided to lose his "itchy teeth" feeling by zeroing into my neighbour's plants cos they were sticking through the fence over to our side.

Doggy books tell us to "doggy proof" the house. To tape up wires, keep away breakbale things, hide shoes, and fence up plants.

Maybe this might help :)

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 9, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1022 views)
Shortcut

When it comes to teething time, give your pup some ice... it will soothe them. My doggie stopped her acts already but now it's like coming back. She's biting wire .... maybe to gain attention. And playing her water in the water bowl until she's all wet. Maybe b'cos of the whether ... so hot...

I guess these stuff only happens to retrievers...

Regards,
Swee Eng

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my