Need Advice: Dog Care While We're At Work

joeybug
Novice

Jan 16, 2008, 11:09 PM

Post #1 of 6 (930 views)
Shortcut
Need Advice: Dog Care While We're At Work Can't Post

Hi all

I would like to get advice from current dog owners. When you're at work and nobody's home except your dog, how do you ensure that your furkid doesn't go hungry or isn't starving by the time you come back? I usually leave some dry kibbles for my dog after his breakfast before I leave, but he seems to wallop up everything in the bowl. I'm just so worried that he's going to be hungry by afternoon. My working hours is irregular though. Does anyone know if any pet shops sell food timer?

Please advise. Thanks!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 17, 2008, 3:29 AM

Post #2 of 6 (916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joeybug] Need Advice: Dog Care While We're At Work [In reply to] Can't Post

Dogs are meant to eat once day unless they have very small size tummy. Feeding them in the morning and also at night is very good already. They won't be starving wan le..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

joeybug
Novice

Jan 17, 2008, 5:04 PM

Post #3 of 6 (903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Need Advice: Dog Care While We're At Work [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your kind advice, Yen! At least I don't have to worry that much now...

janthk
Canine Addict

Jan 19, 2008, 8:50 AM

Post #4 of 6 (834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joeybug] Need Advice: Dog Care While We're At Work [In reply to] Can't Post

Go for the doggy event in Bandar Utama this Sunday. I am sure one of the stalls there will sell the timer feeding bowl. Or At least they had it the last time. But what Yen says is true. I work in a hotel and work irregular hours too. My two furkids eat once a day only. I feed them at night when I come home. In order to keep them occupied while you are away at work, you can also buy a Kong toy which is suitable to the size of your dog. Fill it with treats and that will keep your dog occupied for hours playing with it and trying to get the treats out. A cheaper alternative is to use a mineral water bottle and cut small holes in it. Then put some treats in and give it to your dog. That is the trick I use to keep my two monsters occupied while I am at work :)

joeybug
Novice

Jan 20, 2008, 2:48 AM

Post #5 of 6 (816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Need Advice: Dog Care While We're At Work [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the great tips, janthk! I work in a hotel too and yes, the working hours is long and can be crazy at times.

We'll be going to the K9 day tomorrow to see if we can get any food timer there. I'm always worried about him being bored, hungry and lonely when I'm at work. I bought him several toys (squeaky rubber, tug-a-war cloth bundle, chewable bone treat, teddy bear) but he doesn't seem interested; only likes to play with empty toilet roll, wires and door mat :-))) Will see if I can make some holes on the mineral water bottle or else, invest in the Kong toy (rather expensive right?). Thanks again!

janthk
Canine Addict

Jan 20, 2008, 9:38 AM

Post #6 of 6 (806 views)
Shortcut

Glad I could be of help. I will be at the K9 dy too. Hope to see you there. Have Fun!!:)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my