Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice

seanooi
Novice

Jan 16, 2008, 11:12 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2194 views)
Shortcut
plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice Can't Post

hello everyone...i plan to get 1 Golden Retriever after few month because now i have some financial pro....i hope that get 1 when my financial problem can afford it.....bt problem is, in this few month time, i hope that i can learn max knowledge about how to own and take care GR well because i know that is not easy to own a dog and i no exp to own a dog before.....just hope that owner of GR can give some opinion or idea to me...of coz i oso done some research about hw to take care and own a GR..but i would like to ask, my hse oni a double storey hse...is that enuff space to own a GR? and oso wan to know around hw much the maintanence fee cost for a month? because i saw that GR will grow until big and they need lot space to exercise....of cos that i plan to take them out exercise everyday if i own a GR...Beside that, izzit GR suitable for leave outside the house when they grow up and big size? of cos that when still puppy will live inside house.....thx...

seanooi
Novice

Jan 17, 2008, 5:44 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seanooi] plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice [In reply to] Can't Post

no one????Frown

mudmud
Novice

Jan 18, 2008, 4:23 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seanooi] plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice [In reply to] Can't Post

double storey hse is ok. If you keep outdoor there shud be shaded area for it to rest...Walk the dog min 30 mins if possible longer, better. Maintenance dog food buy bigger bag, shampoo can last bout 1-1 1/2months depending how frequent you bathe the dog..mayb a little toy. for more about GR pls read up at www.akc.org/breeds/golden_retriever/index.cfm

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2008, 6:21 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Here are some of my opinion:

1. single storey or doubel storey no differece. as long as u provide enough exercise to ur dog an appartment also can d ( provided the dog is obedient).

2. maintenance fees a month depends on urself. if u decide to give ur dog the best food then of course fees will be high. if not u can always go for those better then average dog food. brands like blackwood, canidae, eagle pack are all good brands. if u want to save then go for the biggest bag. some brands come in 15 kg , some comes in breeder pack ( 22. - 23.7kg). as for shampoo ler, i will leave this to the expert. I am givcing my dog human shampoo. it seems to work wonder on my dog n the smell can really last up to 1 week. hehehe

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 24, 2008, 9:32 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Hi there! I'm an owner of two beautiful & well trained Golden Retrievers & a Dalmatian.

Well, Golden Retrievers can grow up to medium to large size depending whether they're females or males & whether they're parents are big or not. Golden Retriever are very loving & affectionate dogs. NOT suitable to be kept outside becoz Golden are not guard dogs plus, they will welcome a stranger or a burglar to come into your home. Unless you do get an a aggressive one but still, not a good idea becoz Goldens are very people dog. They're meant to be very close to people & they're good with kids, babies & cats. My Golden Amber loves little kittens! She has nursed one before too...

Anyway, more about Goldens. They are very trainable & can do almost anything! My Golden Amber(in the avatar) has proven to everyone that Golden can not only do Obedience & tricks. They can also do sports like Agility, Flyball & Canine Musical Freestyle. Goldens can also be therapy dogs for the sick or old becoz they are extremely gentle. One thing about Goldens I know is that everything about them is moderate. They don't have much energy unlike some other dogs like Border Collies & they're very stable dogs.

Actually, to tell you the truth, there's not much work in taking care of Goldens. Yes, they do shed but not all the time. Usually in every 3 months or so. It also depends on hat type of Golden you get. One with undercoat or one with no undercoat. One with no undercoat like my Amber, shed less. Almost like once in every 6 months. My other Golden Chloe who has an undercoat, sheds every three months & for long periods. But no big deal! Just vacuum the house everyday lor! Unless you're the type who's sensitive of dog hair everywhere in the house then Goldens are not for you...

Some people do it the easier way by leaving their dogs outside 24/7 becoz they shed too much in the house. That's just not nice lah... Goldens must be very close to their owners if not, they can become depressed.

We live in a double story intermediate house. Got three humans, three dogs, three cats & some fishes living all together under one roof. No problem! Still got lots of space... Our porch has got no grass so we bring them for walks twice a day without fail. They do their business on grass only anyway... Goldens do need sufficient exercise as they do put on weight easily if diet not controlled. Oh yes, Goldens eat alot like Labradors but they don;t get fat as easily as Labradors so that's good but still, they need to be walked at least for half an hour to 1 hour a day & without fail! Not bring your dog for walks every weekend only.. That's not good.

Some Goldens have alot of energy so you must not be the lazy type or the too busy type. So they need to burn their energy from walking or playi8ng in the park. It's very important that they're brought for Ob training at any training schools like puppy.com, petnyou or MKA. All dogs must be socialized from young or they will become unsociable, destructive & aggressive. Goldens are not the type of digs that should be aggressive becoz that's just not what a Golden should be.

Do keep in kind that all pedigree dogs are generally weaker than pariahs(stray dogs). So they do tend to get sick even from the slightest thing. Pariahs can take rotten food but pedigrees can't. Maintainance fee per month per Golden let's say is not that much lah... About RM100+ per month. For my Goldens lah. I don't know about the others...

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2008, 5:39 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Errr no offense yeah but the word pariah dog sounds a bit offensive ler. they should refered to as mix or mongreal ler

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 24, 2008, 10:46 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sirwin81] plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehehe, pariah is not a bad word to describe mongrels lah... It's just like calling dogs mutts. Not offensive mah...

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2008, 11:55 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice [In reply to] Can't Post

no no. i dun mean it is offensive

previously i do address mongreal as pariah. then an indian friend pointed out it is not that polite coz it is quite a sensitive word to some indians. somehting to do with the the kasta thing

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 25, 2008, 8:37 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sirwin81] plan to get golden retriever and nid sum advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah, I get what you're saying... Some people who have mixed races are also called pariah or rojak. Not very offensive to me but to some, it is...

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2008, 5:55 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2058 views)
Shortcut

yeah lor. so better dun play play

btw i like the pic u posted on ur gr

the one with all the pegs on the face

heheh. ur dog very kuai to let u do that. the moment i squad down to play wth my gr, he and she will jump on me n start licking my face

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 25, 2008, 6:17 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, she doesn't mind be torturing her, hehe!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my