Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
need advice

gheetam
Novice

Jan 11, 2008, 7:11 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1719 views)
Shortcut
need advice Can't Post

Hi! This is a really nice and friendly forum I have stumbled into!

I do hope some of you can help me with some of worries on getting a dog.

I live in Shah Alam, in one of the new area developments and my house is is between two Muslim families. I live a double storey terrace house.

I always wanted a dog but we are worried about the neigboured which has a Malay majority and no other non-muslim owners seem to own a dog. We have a asked our "right side" neighbour for permission whom have said OK. Yet to ask the left side neigbour! The neigbhoured also have many young children playing on the streets in the evenings.

I wondering what kind of dog could I get under these circumstances. I would probably would keep the dog inside. So can someone suggest a small or medium short haired puppy that does not bark so much. I have a also have a two year old cat at home. So I need to make sure they can get along. (Someone said that the puppy should be smaller than cat - so that the cat does not get frigthened. I have heard cases where the cats run away when there the owners get a dog, I do not want that to happen!). I do not really want a toy dog. I would like a dog which which has some protective instinct. I have an aged mother at home - so dog should not be too aggressive either but more of a companion to us (esp my mom).

Please help, I am in absolute dilemma. I always wanted to have a dog from young but I my family and I were living in an apartment before. I was so looking forward to have a dog as a companion when we moved into our new home but my mum (who also loves dogs) is very worried the environment may not be conducive for a dog.

Thanking in Advance!!

Esther

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 12, 2008, 4:29 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gheetam] need advice [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Shah Alam area banned dog.Unsure

gheetam
Novice

Jan 16, 2008, 5:37 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] need advice [In reply to] Can't Post

We can have dogs as pets though we must ask for consent from our immediate neighbours.

Unimpressed

mudmud
Novice

Jan 18, 2008, 4:09 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1576 views)
Shortcut

pug...lazy dog do not require much grooming but of course need to bathe at least once a week...

gheetam
Novice

Jan 21, 2008, 5:35 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mudmud] need advice [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there

Thanks for your advice -

After much consideration - I have just got a chi yesterday . He is 8 weeks old and absolutely adorable. My cat is wary about the new comer - but not frightened -so that's good!

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 31, 2008, 10:14 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Hi there! Well one thing about rearing a dog in Shah Alam is, you'll need to ask permission from your neighbors on your left, right, back & front. I know, crazy right? But that's the rules now... I think Pug is a good choice too but when it comes to protectiveness, neh! A Pug can't really protect its owners & home that much. One kick & then go flying leh! Have you though of getting a mongrel or mixed breed? There are plenty in PAWS or SPCA. They are usually medium sized dogs... They can be loving but at the same time, protective too. But bear in kind, mongrels MUST be brought out fro socialization & training. You don't know what happened in their past so you don't know how it has affected them psychologically. Infact, all rescued dogs be it mixed breeds or pedigrees, must be brought out for socialization & training.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my