Before I get a new pup...

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Jan 8, 2008, 2:12 AM

Post #1 of 12 (3348 views)
Shortcut
Before I get a new pup... Can't Post

Hi guys,

Before I get a new pup, I need some advice from the experience dog owners here. So here goes...

I have owned 2 dogs (a mongrel & a mixed breed)before during my younger years but I won't call that experience as I was only a kid and had my parents taking care of them most of the time.

So fast forward to the current time now... I'm now very much older and wiser (i hope!) I still love dogs, not only for their companionship but because they are so intelligent and at times so mind-blowing with the things that they do!

I am looking at a small to medium size breed. I have enough garden space for them to run about so space is not a constraint for me.

Personally I like the Jack Russels & Beagles. But I have also done some research and found out that Jack Russels & Beagles are more suitable for experienced dog owners since they can be a handful to train. I don't want to go out, buy them then regret and have to give them up for adoption when I can't handle them. It's just not fair for the pups.

So, I need some advice if there's any other breeds that can be handled / trained easily for an inexperience person like me? According to some sites there are some breeds that are suitable for inexperience dog owners like me.

Thanks in advance to all for your help.

Cheers!

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Jan 9, 2008, 7:26 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sonic Theory] Before I get a new pup... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone??

B U M P Cool

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jan 11, 2008, 9:10 AM

Post #3 of 12 (3272 views)
Shortcut

actually if u're a responsible owner n committed to train ur dog...any breed of dog won't be a problem for u...

but dogs with the 'terrier' traits ie. JRT are described as 'handful', becoz they got high energy level and frequent exercise are needed to keep them occupied... they behave like a big dog in a small body...

there are still a wide variety for u to choose from....

maybe u can state out ur preferance.... long/short coat? will be committed to groom ur dog regularly?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Jan 11, 2008, 9:13 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 11, 2008, 4:16 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Yes true to what amanda says. As she owns a medium mongrel but the mongrel is an award winning mongrel in obedience and agility and many more competitions. Training for a dog is always important if a dog misbehaves we have no one to blame but the owners of the dog as they haven't trained it. If you would consider a mix breed feel free to contact me i have a few who are very obedient. They are easily trainable if you are committed to it.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Jan 11, 2008, 6:24 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Before I get a new pup... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replies Amanda85 & acsyen. Much appreciated!

I prefer a small to a medium sized dog. Short coat would be best. My wife and I stay in a semi-detached house and we do have an adequate garden space for the dog. I will consider mix breeds and even mongrels as well.

Now my only worry is my working hours that may cause my dog to be alone at home for too long of a period. Both of us work from 9am - 6pm. By the time we get home it would be 7pm or so.

Would this be a problem for the dog?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 11, 2008, 6:38 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Not exactly.. Do give me a call at 012-4151524 or email me at acs_yen @ h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m We can arrange a viewing time for the dogs in my place. It's not too long hours. We all are working execs so I understand. As long as when you get home maybe spending bout half anhour to anhour taking the dog for a walk is good enough. You can also bring the dog to join us on doggy events like the one coming up this 20th of Jan. Would recommend a dog suit to your lifestyle. Wink

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Jan 11, 2008, 7:13 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3254 views)
Shortcut

I will be calling you soon acsyen. Which thread would have the info on the event on Jan 20th? Would love to join you guys and learn more.

Cheers!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 11, 2008, 7:34 PM

Post #8 of 12 (3251 views)
Shortcut

i think somewhere in announcements or events somewhere there.. or go to the main page of puppy.com

nphew

Feb 29, 2008, 8:58 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Hello ST,

Just posted for advice on getting a JRT or a beagle, scrolled down and saw this posting, seems like you and I have alot in common, anyway just curious what have you decided to get?

Also Acsyen, have you had any experience with Beagle, are they good family dogs?

Looking for Becky II

Hew

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 29, 2008, 9:09 PM

Post #10 of 12 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] Before I get a new pup... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry ah.. i dun really like the hound groups they are just so naughty n noisy.. There are as many abandon case as cases of people who wants a beagle. I would suggest that you read up a bit more on this breed before getting one. they are a bunch of energy and you have to excercise them a lot. Everyone's definition of a family dog is different so maybe you can explain more on your needs before I can advise further.

nphew

Mar 1, 2008, 12:16 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Hello ST, Acshen,

I am getting a dog tomorrow, and it is not a Beagle or a JRT, just a mongrel from the Penang SPCA.

Best Regards

Hew

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 1, 2008, 2:57 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] Before I get a new pup... [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for giving a homeless dog a home. the world would be a better place with more people like you.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my