Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
how to use the choke chain

tjx
Novice

Jan 4, 2008, 7:17 PM

Post #1 of 16 (3026 views)
Shortcut
how to use the choke chain Can't Post

as above i just brought a choke chain but dunno how to use the,the hold cant go throught another hold,

expert here pls teach mi if wif best pic/vid

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 4, 2008, 9:29 PM

Post #2 of 16 (3018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tjx] how to use the choke chain [In reply to] Can't Post

haha.. it's not supposed to go through. you should have asked the pet shop. Anyway i got no pics. You hold both ends vertically then make the chain go through the hole that you are holding(the lower one) downwards.. the hole on the higher end should rest on the lower one..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

keatkeat
Novice

Jan 5, 2008, 7:09 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2983 views)
Shortcut

Ha ha ha, I was experience this before. Actually its very simple, just let the chain go through the hole and pull the chain, then just put it to your dog neck.Frown

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 6, 2008, 9:19 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Hehehe! Hold the chain hanging, then slip the chain through the bottom hole & there you go! Make sure you put it on your dog correctly too or else it can strangle your dog. Make it a P-shape like the P. Make the P shape face down & then put it on your dog. When you pull the ring, it should loosen again once you release it.

tjx
Novice

Jan 8, 2008, 7:23 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] how to use the choke chain [In reply to] Can't Post

it work, but when i put it he wouldn't move once i pull he started struggle and make a loud noise, wat shld i do

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 8, 2008, 11:31 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2885 views)
Shortcut

first question. why are u using a choke chain ?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 9, 2008, 12:45 AM

Post #7 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Well, for the 1st few days, put it on him gently & slowly & then praise him & give him a treat. The take it out. Then do it again. The same thing again & again & again until he's accustomed to it. The whole idea of this is to make sure that he doesn't think the choke chain is a threat. Make sure don't pull him everywhere first. Put it on him & encourage him to come to you or walk with you. Or try & get his mind of it by throwing his favorite toy or treat across the room. If he gets it call him towards you or go to him & praise him with enthusiasm! After one week or so, attach the leash to it. Encourage him to walk with you. Try & avoid pulling him. If he still refuses, then keep on trying to encourage him or throw his toy or treat again. If he still refuses, then pull him. If he yelps, don't bother. This is actually drama. Don't let him get away. It's not painful. It's not like you're chocking or jerking him. He screams & yelps just to get your other people's attention. I usually don't bother when dogs start yelping or screaming when the choke chain just tightens a little bit. Don't buy it! Let him scream until he stops & when he does, praise him. No patting no treat. Just praise with a very high tone voice. If you're a guy, then let your feminine side come out. Don't be shy to use your high voice becoz you got to differentiate between correction & praising. Even if you praise it by talking to it softly whilst patting it with no enthusiasm, the dog will not be interested & the dog will lose interest too. Anyway, I hope this will help. There's one Schnauzer at the training grounds too who is exactly like your dog when the choke chain is on. I just told the owner, ignore her & the Schnauzer actually rel;axed & stopped screaming after that. Do not bother about it...

chrisong
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2008, 5:24 PM

Post #8 of 16 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Don't use choke chain on your dog. It will choke & hurt his skin & fur around his neck.

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2008, 7:02 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] how to use the choke chain [In reply to] Can't Post

Choke chain is those metal colalr right??

i m also thinking of buying one but not as a means of training them.

I have bought cloth to leather collars for my golden n them seem to LOVE ........ biting them. Today they have destroyed almost 3 collars. I m thinking of buying those metal chain to put on them so that i can hang their dog license to it.

Oddball
Novice

Feb 29, 2008, 11:13 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2558 views)
Shortcut

I agree with Chris.

Training should a fun experience for the dog and owner, not to the extend of having your dog yelling and screaming even though it is faking it. As the owner, you actually have the heart to not be bothered when your dog screams?

There are other POSITIVE methods to training your dog, choke chain is not the ONLY method you can use. Unfortunately Malaysia is still using this method to train dogs.

Check out this website: http://www.dogtrainster.com

They promote positive approaches to training and if you have any questions about training, they have a panel of experts to answer your questions.

FrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrownFrown
"The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. . . .He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. . . .When all other friends desert, he remains." - George G Vest

www.DogTrainster.com

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 6, 2008, 11:01 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sirwin81] how to use the choke chain [In reply to] Can't Post

if u put on the collar correctly with only 2 fingers gap in between, there's no way your dog can bite his own collar....

your dog sounds pro to me...

choke chain is a metal as a collar...but it can be dangerous to the dog, coz it can choke them... ppl only used them for training purposes...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Mar 6, 2008, 11:03 PM)

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008, 3:37 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] how to use the choke chain [In reply to] Can't Post

i have two dogs ler. so both the dogs will bite each others collar

hahhaha. so now with the metal collar no problem d. they can bite n chew as much as they want

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 7, 2008, 3:42 PM

Post #13 of 16 (2473 views)
Shortcut

ya my dogs do that too... i already give the pet shop many business just by buying collar. So now all cannot wear collar. they even do yoga and bite own harness.. i have a naughty dog in penang and he doesn't mid choking. He'll choke himself more when he wants to bite strangers and he still pulls more..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2008, 6:14 PM

Post #14 of 16 (2467 views)
Shortcut

My two dogs, when playing the bite collar game, will pull off the metal choke chain collar. Then we have to go hunt down the collar in the garden the next morning. Lucky so far managed to find it!

Very cute to watch them play, tho. Wink
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008, 3:35 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] how to use the choke chain [In reply to] Can't Post

hahhaa

now the only thing that got destroyed is my dad's plants

hahahhaha. the metal chain is still there after 3 - 4 weeks.heheh

mickey123
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008, 5:56 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2451 views)
Shortcut

hahaha.. I thought that only my furkid loves to destroy the plant.. ahahha..

I suspected she followed what we did.. cause sometimes we'll trim the plant in the garden.. she'll lie there and watch what we're doing.. then, after some time, she'll help us to trim other plant.. ahahhahah... so, now my dad keeps all his beloved plant (that wouldn't want her to trim for him) high up.. so that she can't reach..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my