IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
Puppy make noise in cage

labradorfan

Dec 26, 2007, 6:14 PM

Post #1 of 17 (3726 views)
Shortcut
Puppy make noise in cage Can't Post

Hi everyone,my boyfriend just bought a 6week old Rottweiler pup last Saturday.We are also labrador/golden lovers but,tunfortunately,no litters at that time were available.We would appreciate if anyone knows any breeders that we could contact to..
When we first saw her,she was very quiet and gentle unlike the other pups we held wanted to break free.Anyway,we had a problem.Whenever we put her into the cage asking her to go to bed at night,she'll make noise and wanted to come out to play.Does this mean she demands attention from us?We played with her one whole day and really tired...My question is,should we leave her to bark in her cage till she is tired? She does know now the basic commands, Sit,Lie Down and Sleep.But every 2-3 hours,she'll wake up again and make noise.What does she trying to tell us?
I would appreciate all of the help we can get.Thank you.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 27, 2007, 1:32 AM

Post #2 of 17 (3717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [labradorfan] Puppy make noise in cage [In reply to] Can't Post

Well your pup is telling you, "I wanna come out!!!" No pups/dogs like being caged. There's so much more better things to do outside of her cage. What you could do it to leave some toys in there for her. She will eventually get bored of it sooner or later but it will help to keep her a bit occupied. Get other toys but don't give it to her yet until she's bore of the precious one. Keep exchanging everyday. Keep her busy! Give her something to chew too. What about a Kong? Have you heard of that to before? This toy will keep your pup occupied the whole day. Just insert some peanut butter or cheese or whatever she likes inside of it & give it to her just before you guys go to bed. Hopefully this will help.

labradorfan

Dec 27, 2007, 6:16 AM

Post #3 of 17 (3716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Puppy make noise in cage [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well your pup is telling you, "I wanna come out!!!" No pups/dogs like being caged. There's so much more better things to do outside of her cage. What you could do it to leave some toys in there for her. She will eventually get bored of it sooner or later but it will help to keep her a bit occupied. Get other toys but don't give it to her yet until she's bore of the precious one. Keep exchanging everyday. Keep her busy! Give her something to chew too. What about a Kong? Have you heard of that to before? This toy will keep your pup occupied the whole day. Just insert some peanut butter or cheese or whatever she likes inside of it & give it to her just before you guys go to bed. Hopefully this will help.

Hi amber
thank you for your suggestion.We'll try it out and see.Bout the Kong,I never heard of it.May I know what are the items needed to make a Kong?For now,she's sleeping soundly.I'm afraid when we go to work,she's locked up in the cage all day and makes her crazy.Is there any other way to soothe her?TQ

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2007, 5:50 PM

Post #4 of 17 (3703 views)
Shortcut

6 weeks old?? isnt that a bit young for a pup to leave the mum??

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2007, 1:28 AM

Post #5 of 17 (3688 views)
Shortcut

whenever she bark, never let her out...that's d most important point..or else, she will thought barking will be rewarded...

try caging her up for short period of time 1st.....let her out every 1 or 2 hours, if u can....

n bring her for long walk to make her exhausted, then she'll hv a good nap during the night....

my 3 years old dog can now cage up for maximum of 10 hours, without making a single noise...all u need is just more time n practise...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

labradorfan

Jan 1, 2008, 4:50 AM

Post #6 of 17 (3674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Puppy make noise in cage [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
whenever she bark, never let her out...that's d most important point..or else, she will thought barking will be rewarded...

try caging her up for short period of time 1st.....let her out every 1 or 2 hours, if u can....

n bring her for long walk to make her exhausted, then she'll hv a good nap during the night....

my 3 years old dog can now cage up for maximum of 10 hours, without making a single noise...all u need is just more time n practise...

hi there,thank you for your advice.My boyfriend and parents goes to work every weekdays and nobody was there to oversee her.So,we caged her during the day but when he's back home,he'll let her out and let her do her thing.She seems fine earlier coz usually when my bf goes to work,she'll bark and cry.Today,she didn't cry nor bark.I don't know whether is it good for her or not.Should I be happy for she can adapt to the environment?Or,she got the thinking we've abandoned her for the day and only let her go in the night time.Furthermore,I understand rottweilers are temperamental dogs.I hope she doesn't grow up to be an aggresive dog.Actually,we wanted to get a lab, 2 labs at first,but we were too late to get them coz were bought from other couple.Then again,my bf saw this little girl,fell for her,so,that's why he bought her.Seems very quiet and gentle when we first saw her.yesterday,she growls and barks at us for no apparent reason.I don't know why.Can someone enlighten me pls?I hope she's not dictating us to tell us what to do.She doesn't want to listen to us,only listen to command to go to sleep (I trained her to Sit,Lie Down and sleep).What shall we do?Thank you.

(This post was edited by labradorfan on Jan 1, 2008, 5:19 AM)

Amanda85
Doggyman

Jan 1, 2008, 8:48 AM

Post #7 of 17 (3669 views)
Shortcut

is alright to cage up ur dog during d daytime...is an act of responsibility rather than letting ur dog wandering around unattended, which sometime might be harmful...

as i never own a rotti b4, i'm not sure about their temperament....but maybe d family just need more time to develop the bond with the dog....the longer u've been together, the better the understanding within each other...

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 8, 2008, 11:53 PM

Post #8 of 17 (3603 views)
Shortcut

for any big breeds like rotty or even GSD they will have tons of energy to burn. but they are very smart breeds. chances are, your puppy has learnt that morning you'll leave, and day time you'll come back to let your puppy out.

believe it or not, a fixed routine is actually better for your puppy as this will make them feel more secure knowing when they'll see you compared to random intervals when u pop up on them. as long as they know, "ok it's time to go back into the cage" then u go out for work. and in the evening your gate opens "OMG daddy mummy's back!" and the excitement begins.

any puppy will bark or whine to get your attention. be glad. if they detroy things to get your attention you'll cry. use this as a training tool. what i'd tried but not guranteed. my pup used to bark a lot too especially when i come home. what i did was totally ignore the pup for the first 10 minutes or until he quiets down. at first the moment he quiets down i'll open the door and give him his dinner after some praises. as time goes by, he is staying quiet for longer periods before he gets his food. Now, he gives 1 bark to either greet me, or to notify me someone is at the door. all you need is a little patience and lots of dedication and consistency.

you can groom your dog to act the way u want him to be. be it your door bell or your alarm. don't take the barking as a bad sign, instead use it to your benefit. tune your dog's thinking to do what u want instead of forcing your pup to do something it doesn't want to. :D

labradorfan

Jan 10, 2008, 2:13 AM

Post #9 of 17 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Puppy make noise in cage [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
for any big breeds like rotty or even GSD they will have tons of energy to burn. but they are very smart breeds. chances are, your puppy has learnt that morning you'll leave, and day time you'll come back to let your puppy out.

believe it or not, a fixed routine is actually better for your puppy as this will make them feel more secure knowing when they'll see you compared to random intervals when u pop up on them. as long as they know, "ok it's time to go back into the cage" then u go out for work. and in the evening your gate opens "OMG daddy mummy's back!" and the excitement begins.

any puppy will bark or whine to get your attention. be glad. if they detroy things to get your attention you'll cry. use this as a training tool. what i'd tried but not guranteed. my pup used to bark a lot too especially when i come home. what i did was totally ignore the pup for the first 10 minutes or until he quiets down. at first the moment he quiets down i'll open the door and give him his dinner after some praises. as time goes by, he is staying quiet for longer periods before he gets his food. Now, he gives 1 bark to either greet me, or to notify me someone is at the door. all you need is a little patience and lots of dedication and consistency.

you can groom your dog to act the way u want him to be. be it your door bell or your alarm. don't take the barking as a bad sign, instead use it to your benefit. tune your dog's thinking to do what u want instead of forcing your pup to do something it doesn't want to. :D

thank you zephyros for your great advice.she's doing great now but got some other problems my bf and I been facing.Although she's a fast learner,she loves playing too...We can play with her for hours but we'll usually play till she's tired.She now has sharp teeths and it's so painful and my legs and hands can be bitten quite a number of times.How to make her think that parts of my body is not a toy or something to bite for?She really get mad at me when I scolded her for her own good.Frown pls help...

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 11, 2008, 5:30 PM

Post #10 of 17 (3547 views)
Shortcut

did you get a chew bone for her? as soon as she starts to show interest in your arms and legs replace them with the chew bone. as soon as she starts gnawing on it. praise her. start building the habit and make sure u and your bf NEVER break this rule. no matter how gentle the gnawing is on your arms or legs, replace it with a chew bone. if she licks you, then it's ok, let her. but biting should not be encourage. lots of people will argue this as being normal for a pup yes, but when they grow up, are you going to risk an accident of them biting you? they CAN get too excited and accidentally take a piece of flesh off you.

same as jumping, as pups u allow them but when they grow up people starts complaining how their dog has this bad habit of jumping on them... Unimpressed wonder where they learnt that Sly

labradorfan

Jan 11, 2008, 9:09 PM

Post #11 of 17 (3533 views)
Shortcut

thanks again.yes we did got her the chew bone...she doesn't seem to like it.she prefers hanging out with us.like sitting with us,petting her head etc...i find that she likes to retrieve things..got a frisbee,she likes to run and retrieve it,same with her chew bone.sometimes,we throw the bone or frisbee and she'll bring it back.but not voluntarily give us the frisbee or the bone,she'll have it in her mouth and growl at us...so,how to teach her that?been doing that for a week to train her 'fetch' and give us back...

(This post was edited by labradorfan on Jan 11, 2008, 9:12 PM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 11, 2008, 9:15 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3530 views)
Shortcut

well...at least she got the fetch part down. giving to you well maybe she's just trying to be playful with u, teasing u with the toy and not give it to you. don't thug the bone or frisbee from her mouth. gently hold it then with a normal tone, <insert command here> ask her to release. be patient. WHEN she does, praise and give her a treat. if u pulled on her toy hard, she'll take either of two things only,

1) you are playing tug-of-war with her

2) you are trying to steal her stuff (agression)

u can apply a little pressure to indicate you'd like the toy from her mouth. hard to explain how much but you'll roughly guess it when u do it right. Laugh just don't tug it hehe unless u intend to play tug-of-war with her :P

labradorfan

Jan 12, 2008, 5:23 AM

Post #13 of 17 (3519 views)
Shortcut

yeah...you're right.I'll try to do that with her tomorrow..Will update you if there's any progressTongue Thank you very much again!

labradorfan

Jan 12, 2008, 6:28 AM

Post #14 of 17 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Paiseh ah.Another thing I would like to ask,she's very very friendly to everyone.I am worried that when she grows up,she would be nice to everyone including strangers.How can I train her to differentiate family and strangers?Thank you again

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 12, 2008, 6:35 PM

Post #15 of 17 (3500 views)
Shortcut

umm that's what labs do. they are not guard dogs so the will be friendly with people. it's normal. what u NEED to do is to train her to NOT take food from strangers. by nature they might learn to differentiate when they area at home ie to bark at strangers but that will depends. usually they are by breed friendly and playful.

labradorfan

Jan 12, 2008, 6:54 PM

Post #16 of 17 (3498 views)
Shortcut

hihie...actually the puppy is a Rottweiler.Supposingly to get a labrador,but sold out all completely...quite devastated.So,in few months time,we'll get a lab.Seemingly,this puppy,her name is Roxie,is so friendly.How to train her?As far as we've taken her out for walks,she's so friendly with neighbors.But,how to make her differentiate with strangers and family?Quite a difficult task..

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 13, 2008, 8:49 AM

Post #17 of 17 (3475 views)
Shortcut

usually it'll come naturally but if u really wanna train...then go for Schutzhund

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my