Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
anti chew spray

J-J
Dog Kichi

Dec 26, 2007, 6:34 AM

Post #1 of 5 (8833 views)
Shortcut
anti chew spray Can't Post

hi y'all. anyone has tried anti chew sprays and found a certain brand effective? my almost 1 year old maltese has gone crazy lately - he can't stop chewing the carpets in the house. he wasn't like this before. until we figure out what's wrong with him (any thoughts here would be much appreciated as well), we were thinking of spraying the carpets with anti chew. i hear about bitter apple alot. any good and any idea if this is sold in m'sia? i asked a pet shop once and they gave me a strange look like i'm talking french. haha.

oh yes, he does have LOADS of toys to chew. we rotate but at any point in time there's about half a dozen at least on d floor. in all types of textures to entice his interest - raw hides, fabric, ropes, rubber, balls... u name it, he's got it. so it's definitely not due to lack of toys.

mickey123
Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2008, 1:42 AM

Post #2 of 5 (7642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] anti chew spray [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

I'd bought the anti-chew for my furkid when she's 7 weeks old (she's 5 months plus now). It only worked for a few times. So, don't waste your money. My furkid doesn't like that smell, but after getting used to the smell, she just kept chewing. Crazy I hate the smell too, it's pretty unpleasant.

We ended up removed the boxes away (she loves to chew the paper boxes.. ). She used to chew one of my house cushion too. There's a hole now on that cushion.. Pirate but, she stopped that after we scolded her and taught her not to do so for some time (about one month, that's why there's a hole there now.. Unsure). We sprayed on that cushion before, but she just kept doing that. That means that that anti-chew is not effective for my furkid any more. That's why we stopped using that for quite some time.

J-J
Dog Kichi

Feb 7, 2008, 12:12 AM

Post #3 of 5 (7336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] anti chew spray [In reply to] Can't Post

hi mickey... thanks for your reply. :) juz to share with you: i bought this anti-chew spray called Bitter Yuck. i can't remember what's the brand, but it's from the States. works very well! it doesn't really smell - in fact, i can't smell anything at all, but tastes HORRIBLE. i didn't taste it (ofcource! haha) but milo reacts like it's some vile thingi. hahaha. he would roll on the ground and rub his mouth with his paws. haha. and he doesn't go near anything that we spray on after that. :)

having said that, it is ofcourse not a long term solution, as milo would look for other things to chew when he stops chewing the stuff we spray on. and we can't spray the whole house. so it's more as an aid to training. and to make sure he stays off our favourite things when he's home alone! hehe.

mickey123
Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2008, 3:56 AM

Post #4 of 5 (7327 views)
Shortcut

hi.. :) really?? ok.. I'd kept that anti-chew somewhere(can't really remember where I put it.. Crazy), so can't tell you what brand is that anti-chew too.. Laugh

well, when she's home alone, she'll be in the crate.. hahaha.. Cool

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2008, 8:54 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5468 views)
Shortcut

as u mentioned it IS a short term thing. do not depend on it either. if possible avoid using those at all. it's still a type of chemical and stuff put together. smelly or not i'd still avoid it. if ur dog is chewing something that he sshouldn't be, then you are leaving your dog unsupervised OR you are leaving dangerous things around that your dog can reach. time to doggy proof your house :D

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my