Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food?

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 24, 2007, 11:01 PM

Post #1 of 18 (3318 views)
Shortcut
How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? Can't Post

hi all forumers,

how can i train my 9 weeks old (almost 10 weeks old now) puppy who doesnt like to eat anything include his food or treats??Unsure

In his mind, just play and play, he doesnt like food or treats, and very hard for him to concentrate, he keep bitting my hand, legs, cloths, shoes, or running around whenever i try to train him, even after i make him tired by letting him chase over the ball before the training start, he will just lye in front of me. means that if he is energetic, he will run around non stop, once he get tired, he will lye down and sleep directly, he will not get up once he is tired. really need help on this....or is it too early for me to start to train him?Crazy

if he able to understand the sit and hand commands i already need to thank God, because this feller cannot concentrate always....Mad

every sifu here pls advise on this....Frown thousand thanks...

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 26, 2007, 1:35 AM

Post #2 of 18 (3304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel_wong99] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there!

Well since he's not motivated by food or treats, then what about toys? Have you found something else that he likes? Not all dogs are motivated by food. Some are motivated by toys or it could be anything else like maybe old socks or whatever! Use those for training... Motivators are not always food, remember that. Do not allow your pup to bite your hand. If you've just got him, then it's ok. He just wants to get to know you. It's never too early or too late to train a dog/puppy. Always starts training by 2 or 3 months old. They younger the better & faster they'll learn if you're consistent ofcourse... Remember to take it slow. Do not rush. The pups brain has not fully developed like older dogs so it may take some time, depending on which dog. Like for my Golden, it only took about 10 min to learn the 'sit; command. Not all dogs will be that fast. Some will take a week for it to register in their brain. Be consistent in training! For the 'sit' command, just hold your pup's chest whilst using your pup's bum to the ground & the sec its bum touches the ground, praise & reward it. 'Sit' is like the easiest command to learn. Remember, to not get frustrated too easily too coz your energy will transfer to your dog & your dog will not be happy too... I hope this will help you. If you need more help, just ask me.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 26, 2007, 5:33 PM

Post #3 of 18 (3295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Amber,

thanks for ur reply, my pup seems like doesnt really like anything, i mean, he not really like his food, toys, cloths, or whatever, or is it maybe he was just with me 1 weeks plus, i not really understand what he like or dun like yet.

but for sure he like donuts very much, coz i feed him the deworm pill last few days, i hav no choice but to feed together with donut, just 1 or 2 small pieces, then he keep sitting by my side and look at me beg for some more, and of course i didnt feed him anymore after he swallow the pill, coz the donut too sweet, i worry it might harm him, so far i think donut is the most attracting 'reward' to train him, but i dun think its an ideal way.Crazy

once he see my hand he will bite, now even he bite my whole body, arms, leg, hand even stomach, tried to stop him but cant, he keep bitting. once he start bitting, if i immediately put him into cage and ignore him for 10 mins, is it good or bad? when he start bitting, i tried to insert his toy into his mouth, sometimes he will bite his toys, but most of the time he will ignore his toy and keep bitting me.Pirate

what can i do?? thanks for the advice...Unimpressed

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 26, 2007, 10:02 PM

Post #4 of 18 (3288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel_wong99] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

The use donut! Aiyoh, not to worry lah... Just remove the sugar on it. It's safe. It's not like you're feeding lots of donuts to him everyday. Small small pieces only. Let him die for it! That's what you want, then he will respond & obey. Oooh, you only had him for 1 week? Too fast lah.. Let him get used to everything in the house 1st & you. Give him one more week then you start. We never start too fast. The biting habit will stop. It's called mouthing by the way... You know why your pup is biting you? It's getting to know you. So give him one more week then you can start teaching him 'sit'.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 27, 2007, 1:38 AM

Post #5 of 18 (3280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

haha,then i will use donut then...since he love it so much.

yea, only 1 week plus with me, coming friday will be 2 weeks, this baby so daring, just 2 months old + a bit now, but dare to climb up the stairs, attacking and barking the plants, even when vacinn oso didnt move or what, the vet said my pup so steady.

then i'll get ready some donut and start training by nex week or the week after, any doubt i facing i'll state my question here and pls feel free to comment and giving advice...thanks in advance ya.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 27, 2007, 1:45 AM

Post #6 of 18 (3276 views)
Shortcut

Oh, do not allow him to go up & down the stairs becoz it's no good for the pup's hips. Pup may accidentally fall too & may injure himself. He should only be allowed to climb up & down when he's above 6mths old. Try & put a child's gate if he keeps on doing it... It's bad for him. he sounds like a good boy to me. Do update on us on how he's doing with his OB ok?

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 27, 2007, 5:52 PM

Post #7 of 18 (3267 views)
Shortcut

oic, then i wont let him climb the stairs, coz he not enuf high, but forcing himself to climb no matter how. actually he climb up the stairs not because he wanted to, but because i purposely go up stairs and see he dare to follow or not....Blushbut after he successfully climb 2 steps, i stop him from continue, coz worry later he fall.

ya, he is good boy, so brave and alert. sure, perhaps i'll still need ur suggestion or direction on training my puppy.hehe...Tongue

Amanda85
Doggyman

Dec 31, 2007, 1:21 AM

Post #8 of 18 (3218 views)
Shortcut

to make your dog interested in food....u need to make sure he is hungry...

but in your case, the puppy is just 9 weeks old, best not to push training too far...

just focus in household manners first....

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 31, 2007, 9:05 PM

Post #9 of 18 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Amanda,

yea, i agree, nowdays im toilet training him, and what he should and shouldnt do in the house oso i wanna faint, too hyper active, so im thinking of focus on that 1st, then only start the training, hopefully my '1 by 1 step' useful in training him, since im no experience in training a puppy.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 2, 2008, 8:10 PM

Post #10 of 18 (3187 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i heard about what pup u are having. have got one staying with me temporary. yes they are very active dogs. You can also try giving small bits of sausage as reward. Most dogs love it. This breed is actually very smart so they will learn fast. Just need to be patient. Since it's just 9 weeks old just give him a bit more time. Toilet training would be good for a start.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Jan 3, 2008, 6:13 PM

Post #11 of 18 (3170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi acsyen,

thanks for ur reply ya, ya, i know that u r also keeping the same breed as my puppy, but how come ur furkid just staying with u temporary??

i might say my puppy is hyper active, once he start playing, he will bite my whole body, run thru the whole house non stop. when i run, he will chase me, when i chase him, he will run away. Crazy

ya, good idea, sausage might be useful in training him, thanks for suggestion ya. untill today my puppy just staying with me almost 3 weeks, and i found that he really smart and brave.

ur furkid is an adult or still puppy?Smile

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 3, 2008, 7:39 PM

Post #12 of 18 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm. how you know that I have this fellow with me eh? This fellow is actually boarding with me wan. Owner is away ma. I free nothing to do ma train this fellow a bit lo. he very smart and cheeky. yesterday bite my sofa then when i turn around wan to scold him, he just quickly turn his head away n act innocent and blur. really beh tahan so cheeky. When i shout he just run to me and lick lick asking me to sayang him. Act like angel but got devil in him, hahaha.. Also always teach the other pups bad things haha.. Yes they are brave. The terrier gang ma.. He was actually bullying a malamute..

the pup bout 16 weeks already. got different ways to train a hyper dog wan. When i was back home saw my trainer train a hyper JRT. Must teach the pup to calm down wan. But really take long time. Stay is very important for your pup to learn if not very susah for you later on.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2008, 1:50 AM

Post #13 of 18 (3154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] How to train a pup who doesnt like treats or food? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, i forgot, i think i read ur replies in some topics i think...hehe.Wink

ooh, but its a big challenge for me to calm him down, unless he is getting very tired, or else seems like impossible for me to calm him down and stay in front of me. haha, same as my puppy, when done mistake will act like he dunno he shouldnt so. i agree, hehe, act like angel but devil in it, haha, just like what the breed standard stated, a big heart in a small body. wow, bullying a malmute, brave feller really...haha.Laugh

any idea on how to train him to stay? im really inexperience in training dog.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2008, 1:53 AM

Post #14 of 18 (3151 views)
Shortcut

hi acsyen,

if not mistaken u keep great dane rite??

im a crazy dane fans, but unluckily now staying with parents, after i bought my own house 1 day in future for sure i'll keep danes, not dane....hahahahahaha

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 4, 2008, 2:12 AM

Post #15 of 18 (3146 views)
Shortcut

Hi daniel,

I dun have a great dane le. Have one when i was little gal owned by my dad. Passed away when it was bout 10+ years. I still love big big dogs. Currently only have an Afghan with me. Hunting for adopters for it.

I dun remember talking bout dogs that are boarding with me. Anyway it's ok le. Might have been a slip of tongue. The notty fellow now waiting to eat my maggi mee n roasted duck. Very notty..

Think you gotta find out what he like to eat first then only you can train him. If not very hard. Starting with sit will be good.After he knows it very well then only can train him to stay. Leash training will help. Also dun carry your pup too much if not it's even harder for you to train. Family members also must not pamper him too much.

Basically training to stay is easier done on leash. After he learns how to sit then you hold his leash while he sit and say stay then walk around him. He can look at where you are going but must not move. Slowly walk further. Reward if he does it right. Use the word 'ok' to let him know training's over. Let him wait for his food is also a good way. Cover his food and tell him wait. When he calms down then say ok and let him eat. He will learn very fast.. Training must be done before meals. After they eat full full they dun wan to listen already..

Anything you can also email me at acs_yen @ h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m good luck training him..

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2008, 5:58 PM

Post #16 of 18 (3138 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i thought u r keeping a dane because i saw ur replies in dane fans thread b4. im crazily desperately to keep a dane. wow cool, u like big dog too, haha, for me, the bigger the size of dog, the more i love it.. why u letting go ur Afghan?

haha, then when he beg for human food, will u feed him some?

ya, we r trying not to pamper him too much, now he thought he is the boss in the house, he will bite whatever he wan, when we try to stop, he make the action trying to attack us, and bark at us so fierce. so notty boy.... Ya i wont carry him again after his final vacinn next week..

thanks for ur guidelines...i'll try and see, hope he will obey to my words slowly.

thanks for ur offer ya, i've saved down ur email....thousand thanks to u.Smile

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 4, 2008, 7:09 PM

Post #17 of 18 (3131 views)
Shortcut

Er... i think you must have read wrong person already le.. I dun think i ever wrote in the great dane thread. I rescue homeless dogs and rehome them. Afghan is also consider rescued. Now looking for an owner for him..

Cannot give human food unless i already boil with hot water a few times to take away the taste..

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2008, 5:50 PM

Post #18 of 18 (3115 views)
Shortcut

er....maybe...hehe...too many post and threads i've read, blur edi..Blush

so kind huh, i wish i can do that too, but i have no space to keep so much of dogs.

oic, i wont feed him human food, if yes oso must cook seperately which do not contain sugar and salt at all.Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my