Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Shedding

Andrew

Apr 8, 2002, 7:26 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2842 views)
Shortcut
Shedding Can't Post

Dear Members,

My minpin is shedding terribly. There are some baldness on her body like under her neck her body and her leg. There will be a bump that like a dry dead skin.

I brought her to the vet last week for her annual booster but the vet just gave me some anti-biotics. Until today, I haven't see any improvement yet.

Need help from fellow member to tell me what is the cause of this problem. Thank You.

Andrew Wong
Miniature Pinscher, Born 22.12.2000

ginl
ALPHA

Apr 8, 2002, 9:51 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Andrew,

Did the vet say anything about what cud hv caused the shedding? As far as I am aware of, shedding can be caused by several reasons. One of them is the diet of your dog....hv u been feeding anything extra or introduced a new food to your min pin's diet lately? It cud be due to some sort of allergies. Other reasons could be bacterial infections in which case antibiotics are usually prescribed and results are usually seen after a few weeks. Mange and ringworms are also a cause of excessive shedding. Your vet may be the best person to advise you on this as he has already given your dog a check-up.

These are some of the reasons I can think of....maybe other members here can shed some more light (not hair) on this.

Dar
Dog Kichi

Apr 10, 2002, 4:11 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrew] Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Andrew and others,

Today I took my rotti to the vet for the same problem onlyt that izac was losing hair on his belly, the vet gave him anti-biotics (a jep) and some pills oh! some cream too. Iwas going ehhhh.. thank god you brought this topic up. He said it was because of the food but I have been feeding him the same food since he was 2monts.(still on puppy food)

Thanks to all

Dar

Pat

Apr 15, 2002, 10:42 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dar] Shedding [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear all,

If your puppy is stepping into adulthood, shedding of fur or replacement of puppy fur to adult fur is normal, it is called "moulting". A dog usually moults once or twice a year.

Shedding can also be caused by friction or activities, eg. of areas around the legs, butt or belly, depending on your dogs movement.

If shedding is due to rashes then the antibiotic will come in handy and perhaps detail follow up is necessary. But typically, a vet always give antibiotic jab, creams and pills for everything under the sun. Even if there is no cause to worry.

$$$$$

PAtricia
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my