Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Getting older dog used to new puppy

kibbles_andcake
New User

Dec 4, 2007, 3:52 AM

Post #1 of 16 (4903 views)
Shortcut
Getting older dog used to new puppy Can't Post

I was advised to post this thread here to get help but neither of my dog's is aggressive but I hope you can help anyway :)

I got a new puppy last thursday after months of wanting one as a playmate for my 7(ish) year old male bullmastiff.

The puppy's an 8 week old male cross breed (his mother is a collie X spaniel, and his father is unknown) and he already idolizes Jake.

The problem is Jake isn't too keen.

Maxi has tried running around after him, initiating play-time, watching him endlessly, even sleeping around him but Jake just walks away.

Evening before last, Jake had started play-bowing which I took as a really good sign, but then Maxi started chewing on Jake's tail and I know growling is a way for Jake to set limits on what's acceptable, especially since he's not that comfortable with Maxi being around, but it's worried me as Jake's never growled at anyone before. Later that evening, Maxi was sleeping at his feet and Jake jumped up, his mouth set like it is when he sees something he doesn't like.

I intervened both times before anything happened but I feel like this introduction isn't going so well.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get their bonding back on track? I've looked all over the net but I can only find articles that presume the older dog is getting on well with the puppy.

Jake's not aggressive at all and he gets endless attention even when the puppy's around, it's only been about three days since Maxi's been with us but I'd rather get them on good terms sooner rather than wait a couple weeks for them both to settle down.

Thanks in anticipation.

viz
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 12:02 AM

Post #2 of 16 (4879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kibbles_andcake] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by viz on Dec 7, 2007, 12:03 AM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 1:55 AM

Post #3 of 16 (4864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [viz] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

omg u got a pap too! talk to me ! :D

viz
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 7:02 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I have an experience here and would like to share with you.

I kept a female dog previously and I adopted another male puppy after few years. From the beginning, the relationship between two dogs is very good. They play with each other and slept together just like mother and son. I think may be I love the puppy too much, so...........

One horrible day, when the puppy walked pass the food suddenly the female dog attacked the puppy. It bit on the puppy's neck, blood was oozing out from the puppy's neck. The puppy struggling and crying. I tried to use the hose to spray water at it but the female dog still did not want to let go the puppy. Then I tried to use the cane to hit it and this is made worst because it has provoked the female dog. Finally, I have no choice and I forced to use my hand to open the female dog's mouth. My brother quickily pulled the female dog away and I hugged the puppy immediately.My finger was injured and the puppy was in serious condition, the worst thing is its ear split.

After that incident, the female dog always want to bite my puppy so I am forced to keep them apart to avoid the same incident happen again.

I refer to many books and the dog trainer and I have learned this : -

1. No matter how well the dogs' relationship are but when food is concern, we have to be very be careful.

2. It is very important that we must pay equal attention to them. If we pat them we must always pat both of them.

3. Everything we do to them, We must always respect the older dog in the house. For example if we feed them or bring them out for a walk, we must always let the older dog first.

(This post was edited by viz on Dec 7, 2007, 7:17 PM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 7:11 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4858 views)
Shortcut

oic. think because it is food protective. if u try to pet your dog while she's eating chances are might growl at you. some dogs are protective of their food and should be taught otherwise. pet ur dog when they eat or take the food away and give it back randomly.

my pup and maltese eats and drinks together. sometimes the maltese will try to steal the pups food, but the pup willjust let him. sometimes the pup will try to steal the maltese food, and he'll just sit and let him eat. they both share the same water bowl too. both are getting along well.

just need to take it slowly and carefully. you can never trust your pets 100%. there must always be supervision from time to time with certain things like food etc.

glad to know your pup is still alive and doing well.

next time if ur dog gets agressive, pull the back legs up then pull your dog backwards. this will usually stun your dog and worry about her balance more. also she won't be able to bite you back either. and yea unfortunately u didn't know at that time, but canning will making it worst cause your dog is feeling pain, so they'll be even more agressive.

accidents will always happen. no matter how friendly they are with each other, rough play will happen, then things will get agressive. i never let my dogs play too agressively. when they do, Time-Out session. when they start to get "high" they'll sometimes play a little rough and accidents tend to happen then and there. so just keep an eye. dont' worry too much. everyone is still learning from mistakes.

:D

viz
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 7:30 PM

Post #6 of 16 (4855 views)
Shortcut

Thank you very much for your reply, Zephyros and now I have learned another thing from you.Wink

I always think that if we want to keep a dog, we must always learn. It is good for the dog and the owner to understand each other so I feel that training is very important. It is just like a child, we must educate them and let them socialize.

What do you think ?

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 7:31 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4852 views)
Shortcut

socialize with supervision. they can learn the doggy world rules the hard way...or they can do it the right way the first time. all depends on the owner and the effort they are willing to put into it. also do you still have that papillon in your avatar?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #8 of 16 (4851 views)
Shortcut

Try spaying the dog. In many cases the aggression tones down as the hormones go down after spaying.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

FLK

Dec 7, 2007, 8:40 PM

Post #9 of 16 (4845 views)
Shortcut

Hai Zephyros ! I do not understand what is the meaning of avatar ?Shocked

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 9:10 PM

Post #10 of 16 (4839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FLK] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

the little image under your name on the left column

viz
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 10:09 PM

Post #11 of 16 (4831 views)
Shortcut

Yes ! I still have that papillon with me. Why you asked so ??

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

Post #12 of 16 (4830 views)
Shortcut

cause i got one too! 3months old now. ears standing and dropping lol

viz
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 10:24 PM

Post #13 of 16 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Do you have the photo ? Can I have a look ? Laugh Indeed the puppy that had been bitten also similar to the image but it is not a pure papillon. It is xx mix with papillon. The size and the fur colour of the puppy is exactly the same as the image.

(This post was edited by viz on Dec 7, 2007, 11:07 PM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 10:31 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4822 views)
Shortcut

viz
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 11:29 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4815 views)
Shortcut

Thank you. Wah ! It is so cute. I love it Smile But as you mentioned earlier why the ears are dropping ? Is it a pure breed ? Male or female ? Actually I like the dog with this kind of colour. It is very beautiful. How much you bought ?

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 8, 2007, 12:04 AM

Post #16 of 16 (4809 views)
Shortcut

this one was a rescued dog. it's purebred. the ears are dropping because he's teething now and still growing, so nutrients are used by the body elsewhere which is more important. it's normal actually so not that worried. his ears did all errected up for 1 whole day but one side dropped back recently. so no biggy. i'll be switching his food over to EVO soon. he's currently using Orijen which is not that good it seems for my maltese and him. Both of them poop a lot and lots of tears ever since i swtiched to orijen. so maybe my dogs don't do too well with orijen. gonna see if his ears will be better after the switch

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my