the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Nov 28, 2007, 11:59 PM

Post #1 of 11 (16192 views)
Shortcut
the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation Can't Post

hi all experts here,

my puppy is now 6 weeks old, and i'll only bring him home 3 weeks later from now, which means that time my puppy will be around 9 weeks old.

the breeder(oso the petshop owner) called me up yday, told me that he brings my puppy for the 1st jab which is the 6 in 1.

Question : i should follow the schedule which the second jab on 11weeks old and 3rd jab on 14weeks old??

or i should to follow the schedule which 1 month interval for the second jab after the 1st jab?? Because i consulted a few vet out there, they all suggest me to make it 1 month interval?

i should follow the instruction by vet, but some forumer here suggest to get the 2nd and 3rd jab by 11 weeks old and 14 weeks old, confusing....Crazy

AND some vet suggest i just need to go for 6 in 1 as like his 1st jab, they said this is more than enuf, but how about the 9in1? will it be better or its useless actually??

Any idea anyone??Smile

(This post was edited by daniel_wong99 on Nov 29, 2007, 12:04 AM)

mike9my
Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2007, 5:09 PM

Post #2 of 11 (16178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel_wong99] the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, the vaccination interval is best 2 follow the vets suggestion as they should know the dosage n the medications they are dispensing n oso if need any follow up, the vet should be able to get a clear picture.If not mistaken, my vet told me the 2nd n 3rd. jabs are booster doses.Regarding the 6 in 1 or 10 in 1 vaccination is best 2 ask the vet 2 explain in detail n then decide 4 urself what u want for ur doggie.As the more vaccine the price oso is higher.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Nov 29, 2007, 5:36 PM

Post #3 of 11 (16175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mike9my] the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation [In reply to] Can't Post

hey Mike, thanks for the reply.Laugh

i think i better follow the instruction by vet.

as for the vacinn, i think even if 9 in 1 is just useless (extra more than enuf), i'll still go for it, coz price not much different...better play safe.Sly

mike9my
Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2007, 5:49 PM

Post #4 of 11 (16174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniel_wong99] the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation [In reply to] Can't Post

ur rite, we always want the best 4 our furkids, even myself pay more 4 the vaccine price RM 60,which is more than normal price(rm 25 to rm45)but i check the vaccine comes from a reputable drug company,pfiezer, so ok loh.
Touch wood we dun want complications later on then we would feel guilty becos we want to save a little bit. Some more bring doggie 2 vet more expensive than we see doctor ha ha

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 29, 2007, 9:07 PM

Post #5 of 11 (16163 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hey Mike, thanks for the reply.Laugh

i think i better follow the instruction by vet.

as for the vacinn, i think even if 9 in 1 is just useless (extra more than enuf), i'll still go for it, coz price not much different...better play safe.Sly

You just make the Vet changing to a bigger car lol

6 in 1 already more than enough for the dog. Just follow the schedule of vaccination by the vet.

mickey123
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2007, 6:38 AM

Post #6 of 11 (16146 views)
Shortcut

hi,

don't know whether this info is too late or not.. I copy from this site: http://www.peteducation.com/...48&articleid=960

Vaccination Recommendations for Puppies (Puppy Shots)

AVMA Vaccination Recommendations for Dogs Component Class Efficacy Length of Immunity Risk/Severity of Adverse Effects Comments Canine Distemper Core High > 1 year for modified live virus (MLV) vaccines Low Measles Noncore High in preventing disease, but not in preventing infection Long Infrequent Use in high risk environments for canine distemper in puppies 4-10 weeks of age Parvovirus Core High > 1 year Low Hepatitis Core High > 1 year Low Only use canine adenovirus-2 (CAV-2) vaccines Rabies Core High Dependent upon type of vaccine Low to moderate Respiratory disease from canine adenovirus-2 (CAV-2) Noncore Not adequately studied Short Minimal If vaccination warranted, boost annually or more frequently Parainfluenza Noncore Intranasal MLV - Moderate Injectable MLV - Low Moderate Low Only recommended for dogs in kennels, shelters, shows, or large colonies; If vaccination warranted, boost annually or more frequently Bordetella Noncore Intranasal MLV - Moderate Injectable MLV - Low Short Low For the most benefit, use intranasal vaccine 2 weeks prior to exposure Leptospirosis Noncore Variable Short High Up to 30% of dogs may not respond to vaccine Coronavirus Noncore Low Short Low Risk of exposure high in kennels, shelters, shows, breeding facilities Lyme Noncore Appears to be limited to previously unexposed dogs; variable Revaccinate annually Moderate

A possible vaccination schedule for the 'average' puppy is shown below.

Puppy Vaccination Schedule Age Vaccination 5 weeks Parvovirus: for puppies at high risk of exposure to parvo, some veterinarians recommend vaccinating at 5 weeks. Check with your veterinarian. 6 & 9 weeks Combination vaccine* without leptospirosis.
Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern. 12 weeks or older Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (age at vaccination may vary according to local law). 12 & 15 weeks** Combination vaccine
Leptospirosis: include leptosporosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs.
Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern.
Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs. Adult (boosters)§ Combination vaccine
Leptospirosis: include leptospirosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs.
Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern.
Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs.
Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (time interval between vaccinations may vary according to local law). *A combination vaccine, often called a 5-way vaccine, usually includes adenovirus cough and hepatitis, distemper, parainfluenza, and parvovirus. Some combination vaccines may also include leptospirosis (7-way vaccines) and/or coronavirus. The inclusion of either canine adenovirus-1 or adenovirus-2 in a vaccine will protect against both adenovirus cough and hepatitis; adenovirus-2 is highly preferred.

**Some puppies may need additional vaccinations against parvovirus after 15 weeks of age. Consult with your local veterinarian.

§ According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, dogs at low risk of disease exposure may not need to be boostered yearly for most diseases. Consult with your local veterinarian to determine the appropriate vaccination schedule for your dog. Remember, recommendations vary depending on the age, breed, and health status of the dog, the potential of the dog to be exposed to the disease, the type of vaccine, whether the dog is used for breeding, and the geographical area where the dog lives or may visit.

Bordetella and parainfluenza: For complete canine cough protection, we recommend Intra-Trac II ADT. For dogs that are shown, in field trials, or are boarded, we recommend vaccination every six months with Intra-Trac II ADT.

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Nov 30, 2007, 5:29 PM

Post #7 of 11 (16139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the link.

haha,quite complicated for me, coz im still beginner in keeping dog.Tongue

i think i better follow the instruction from the vet will do.

but thanks for the link anyway.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 4, 2007, 10:15 AM

Post #8 of 11 (16098 views)
Shortcut

The 9in1 jab is better lah,t hat's what they say. But the 6in1 jab is also good enuf. Your dog can be vaccinated anytime but too late lah. The moment she comes home, vaccinate her already. The dog needs three vaccinations so one vaccin for each month. Must follow the schedule lah...

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 4, 2007, 5:34 PM

Post #9 of 11 (16093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, i'll follow the instruction by vet, i think i'll purposely make appointment with the vet, so that i dun need to wait long at the clinic, dun wan other dogs come near to my puppy.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2007, 8:21 PM

Post #10 of 11 (16074 views)
Shortcut

Yes 9 in 1 jab is definitely better. i will put up a list of what the vaccines cover possibly a table of what each vaccine covers. Had some experience about giving 7 in1 instead of 9 in 1. Furthermore the difference is only like RM10 so better not take the risk.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

daniel_wong99
Dog Kichi

Dec 10, 2007, 6:36 PM

Post #11 of 11 (16055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] the right/suitable time for puppy to get vacinnation [In reply to] Can't Post

hi acsyen,

thanks ya, waiting for the list....

ya, RM10 difference...i'll go for 9in1 instead of the 7in1...i know the virus/bacteria not found in malaysia, but i like to play safe....better go for 9in1....totally agree with u...Sly

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my