IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Yeast infection

FLK

Nov 28, 2007, 1:22 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4793 views)
Shortcut
Yeast infection Can't Post

Is anybody know about the yeast infection ? please give some advise. What is the symptom ?

joogyee
Novice

Dec 7, 2007, 10:28 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FLK] Yeast infection [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, my Shih Tzu is having yeast infection and he is under medication now. Below are some info for Yeast Infection, you can also search thru web for this kind of infos, hope this helps!

A yeast infection is caused by a yeast called Candida albicans. Candida albicans is an opportunistically yeast that normally inhabits the body and intestinal tract of our dogs. The job of candida albicans is to recognize and destroy harmful bacteria. In a healthy body, candida albicans is controlled by a properly-functioning immune system and "friendly" bacteria.

However, if the immune system is weakened, the number of friendly bacteria decreases, and candida albicans will shift from yeast form (a non-invasive, sugar-fermenting organism) to fungal form (invasive, mucosa damaging) - the yeast infection starts.
Yeast infection symptoms can hit all parts of the dog skin and the mucous membranes but humid places are the preferred area.

Symptoms for a yeast infection are itchy scalp, skin rashes, inflamed pimples with flaky edge.

To you it is only a pet but to him or her you are everything!

FLK

Dec 18, 2007, 11:50 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joogyee] Yeast infection [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your advise. One more question : Is this yeast infection can totally cure ?

joogyee
Novice

Dec 27, 2007, 7:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4477 views)
Shortcut

According to my Vet, it could be totally cure but would be a long term treatment.

To you it is only a pet but to him or her you are everything!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 27, 2007, 9:46 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4472 views)
Shortcut

my dog also suffers from yeast infection... she had this problem 3 years ago, completely cured, and it came back recently... my vet said yeast infection is only the secondary/ surface problem... most of the time, there is an underlying/ primary skin problem which allowed the yeast to seize the opportunity and develop into an infection... unfortunately, it is not easy to find out what is causing the primary skin problem...

my dog is now on a course of antibiotics and medicine, and also changed her diet to something that could, hopefully, improves her skin condition...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my