Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding...

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 22, 2007, 1:32 AM

Post #1 of 22 (2036 views)
Shortcut
dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... Can't Post

aditionally, dogs have been seen as impure, and the Islamic legal tradition has developed several injunctions that warn Muslims against most contact with dogs. Unfortunately, many Muslims have used this view to justify the abuse and neglect of dogs, even though cruelty contradicts the Qur'an's view that all animals form "communities like you." We are pleased to present several articles examining the place of dogs in Islam.

Let me clarify a few myths and make a few points:

1. It is NOT haraam to own a dog, though it is not hygienic to keep a dog in the house.

2. It is NOT haraam to touch a dog or any other animal. If the saliva of a dog touches you or any part of your clothing, then it is required of you to wash the body part touched and the item of clothing touched by the dog’s mouth or snout.

3. It is incumbent upon all Muslims who own animals, whether for farming or work purposes or as pets, to provide adequate shelter, food, water, and, when needed, veterinary care for their animals. Arrangements must be made, if one is going to be away from home, to have one’s animals taken care of as well.

4. It is haraam to keep a dog or any other animal on a short lead for long periods without food, water, and shelter. Dogs need exercise and are social creatures who form organized “family” structures in nature. Dog owners therefore need to spend time daily with their dogs.

5. It is cruel, and therefore haraam, to keep any animal in a cage so small that it cannot behave in a natural way.

6. Fireworks cause untold suffering to most domestic animals because of their acute sense of hearing.

7. It is haraam to participate in any blood “sport,” like dog fighting and trophy hunting. ___________________________________________________________________________ so,as you see,theres nothing wrong if u are a muslim and would luv 2 have a dog as ur pets... for those who think that u cant have a dog as ur pets,my advice is that you should learn more about ur own religion coz it seems that u dont noe anything about it.... Tongue

animal lovers........

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 22, 2007, 7:13 PM

Post #2 of 22 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tasha_87] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks you tasha for highlighting this. Am sure it would be useful to other's who still has misunderstanding on this issue.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

myzanordin
ALPHA

Nov 22, 2007, 7:49 PM

Post #3 of 22 (2007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tasha_87] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

So..i guess u are a Muslim & u own dogs?Smile..I suggest u also put some reference below the details as where u got the info from. Like some hadiths, sunnah, quran or frm sme Islamic Professor.

It will really help.....when we speak to the those who still strongly believe it is haram to touch or own a dog...

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 22, 2007, 9:04 PM

Post #4 of 22 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So..i guess u are a Muslim & u own dogs?Smile..I suggest u also put some reference below the details as where u got the info from. Like some hadiths, sunnah, quran or frm sme Islamic Professor.

It will really help.....when we speak to the those who still strongly believe it is haram to touch or own a dog...

yeah..sure..will get back 2 you on that.......Wink

animal lovers........

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 22, 2007, 9:26 PM

Post #5 of 22 (1988 views)
Shortcut

As Allah says in the Qur’an:

... God intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. ...

Surah 2 Verse 185

This means that the rules and teachings must not pose a difficulty for its followers. Thus, it’s normal to assume that certain benefits, apparent or hidden, are inherent in shari’a injunctions. Of course, this is apart from the sense of worship that compliance with them implies.

The issue of dogs is one of the most debatable issues in recent times, especially as da’wah gains ground in the West, whereby people enter into Islam in large numbers. Thus, the questions on the lips of many reverts is: ‘can I keep my dog while still abiding by my religious obligations? Will my new religion take away from me my dog, which has become my closest friend?’

What makes this issue so debated is the fact that there are many Prophetic hadiths that warn Muslims about getting into contact with dogs. In fact, some of these hadiths give warnings that going against this rule takes away a sizeable amount of reward from a person’s record (of good deeds) daily. Adding to that is the Prophet’s order for killing the dogs in Medina and the Angel Gabriel’s refusal to enter the Prophet’s house in one of his visits, citing the presence of dog as reason.

But alongside with this, are many hadiths that call for showing kindness to animals in general, including dogs, and the permissibility of keeping dogs for hunting, guarding, etc. It’s further reported that some of the Prophet’s companions, may Allah be pleased with them all, were in the habit of keeping animals for farming purposes or even for fun and pleasure.

So to clarify this confusion, we need to interpret those hadiths in the light of the Qur’an. The Qur'an makes it clear that there is no harm in eating animals grabbed by hunting dogs. Furthermore, it’s through the Qur'an that we get acquainted with the story of the Cave Companions (ahl-ul-khaf) who had with them their dog; this clearly shows that dogs have historically been used for guarding the person and the property of its owners.

This also indicates that dogs must be treated well they are of the animals referred to in the verse:

There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you.

Surah 6 Verse 38

The implicit message of this verse is that in Islam, the concept of mercy covers humans as well as animals, for Islam accords animals inviolable rights, part of which is to be fed well and not to be subject to torture or ill-treatment. Hence, I recall here the hadith in which the Prophet (pbuh), stated that a woman was doomed to enter Hell because of a cat...

‘which she neither fed nor let it eat from the vermin of the earth.’

This hadith makes it clear that Islam does not go against keeping animals, including watch or hunting dogs, as long as one does not neglect them. In fact, the Prophet (pbuh) states that showing kindness to animals is a means of earning reward:

‘In every living being there is reward.’

Adding to this is the hadith in which the Prophet (pbuh) told his companions a story concerning a man who found a dog in the desert panting and licking the dust due to thirst. The man went to a well, filled his shoes with water, and relieved the dog's thirst. Said the messenger of Allah (pbuh):

‘Allah appreciated this and forgave him all his sins.’ (Reported by al-Bukhari)

Having said this, we have to ask: ‘How is it that the religion that is rich in all these fine precepts about animal rights, is the same religion that warns its followers about getting into contact with dogs and even emphasizes that the utensils licked by dogs should be washed 7 times, one of them with earth?’

The basic rule in Islam is the permissibility of keeping dogs for hunting and guarding. Still, the exception to the rule is: excessiveness must be avoided as much as possible. The care and concern for human beings should take higher priority over the care of animals, and the reward for that is greater.

To let you know, not all scholars regard dogs as impure. For instance, the Malikite Jurists maintain that the dog is pure, even its saliva, and this is the predominant opinion. So, it is not obligatory to wash the body or the clothes, but one must still wash a bowl that touched or licked by dog. The Hanafite Juristic School and some of Hanbali Jurists say that it’s only dog’s saliva that’s filthy and impure, but its body is not. Imam Ibn Taymiyyah considers this view to be the most correct. Thus, if a person’s clothes get wet from touching the dog's fur, this doesn't render them impure. Also, if one touches the dog's fur after making ablution (wudu'), this does not nullify the ablution, but if one gets touched with dog's saliva, then one has got tainted with impurity, and it must be removed.

the facts was taken from islamonline.net..... Wink

animal lovers........

(This post was edited by tasha_87 on Nov 22, 2007, 9:45 PM)

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #6 of 22 (1956 views)
Shortcut

wow you really good in reseach my sis in s'pore will love to know all about this.
Shekel

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 23, 2007, 10:19 PM

Post #7 of 22 (1947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shekel] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

hehehe..yeah,just got sick and tired coz some of my relavite luv 2 give me a great lecture everytime they saw me with ruddee(my dog...he died 3 months ago)

animal lovers........

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 24, 2007, 8:13 AM

Post #8 of 22 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Hi there! I am a muslim & I'm not afraid to own dogs at all & tell all my other muslim friends in school & teachers, that I have dogs myself. The Quran never said that dogs are haram, it's the malays themselves who said so. They always make up their own thing & rules especially the Agama teachers. The students will look up o9n them becoz they are their teachers & they will learn wrong teachings from the teachers themselves. But the school that I am studying in now, my agama teacher actually told all the students in my class that dogs are not haram except their saliva. He also said he used to own one & he named it Jodi or something like that. I was so surprised & also relieved to hear say that to the whole class! In the beginning all my friends say eeee becoz I own dogs & that I will die in hell & the snakes will eat me alive. Whatever! But niow they are more relaxed especially when my agama teacher opened his mouth. I'm glad he;s not against dogs. He has never talked anything bad about dogs but pigs he is very against lah... But sometimes he says terrible things also like how to kill a pig & sometimes he can be racist which is no good lah...

Anyway, I am a proud owner of three pedigree dogs & two pariah cats. My family & I are not scared at all of what other people will think about us coz all this haram thing is just bullshit. There's no good reason why they are haram also. I asked my BM teacher & she can't tell me why. She said, becoz Allah said so. Like hello...? Did she even read the Quran properly??? I've never read the Quran before becoz I'm bad at reading jawi but I now what is written in there. Allah will never say anything like this to hate other people who are not muslim & hate dogs or pigs.

It all started with just one malay person opening his mouth & making his own rules & everyone else followed. To be honest with you, I'm very ashamed to be a muslim becoz of all this. Wish I can change my religion but no, cannot.

R.Alysa
Novice

Nov 24, 2007, 9:18 AM

Post #9 of 22 (1932 views)
Shortcut

thanks for this advice tasha!! Im actually 12 years old and yes i am a muslim. i owned a male GSD..my house was robbed and we bought him because of this purpose n because i was happy to get my first dog.

My grandmother found out and she kept on scolding my father for owning him.. she told us to get rid of it..luckily my tution teacher owned a GSD previously(died cause it was old) We offered her to take great care of Uno, she sid ok..until this day i miss my Uno.

I will never forget what my grandmother did Frown
=================*****===================

Doggies really are a man's best frend! I miss u Uno!

(This post was edited by R.Alysa on Nov 24, 2007, 9:22 AM)

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 24, 2007, 7:23 PM

Post #10 of 22 (1925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi there! I am a muslim & I'm not afraid to own dogs at all & tell all my other muslim friends in school & teachers, that I have dogs myself. The Quran never said that dogs are haram, it's the malays themselves who said so. They always make up their own thing & rules especially the Agama teachers. The students will look up o9n them becoz they are their teachers & they will learn wrong teachings from the teachers themselves. But the school that I am studying in now, my agama teacher actually told all the students in my class that dogs are not haram except their saliva. He also said he used to own one & he named it Jodi or something like that. I was so surprised & also relieved to hear say that to the whole class! In the beginning all my friends say eeee becoz I own dogs & that I will die in hell & the snakes will eat me alive. Whatever! But niow they are more relaxed especially when my agama teacher opened his mouth. I'm glad he;s not against dogs. He has never talked anything bad about dogs but pigs he is very against lah... But sometimes he says terrible things also like how to kill a pig & sometimes he can be racist which is no good lah...

Anyway, I am a proud owner of three pedigree dogs & two pariah cats. My family & I are not scared at all of what other people will think about us coz all this haram thing is just bullshit. There's no good reason why they are haram also. I asked my BM teacher & she can't tell me why. She said, becoz Allah said so. Like hello...? Did she even read the Quran properly??? I've never read the Quran before becoz I'm bad at reading jawi but I now what is written in there. Allah will never say anything like this to hate other people who are not muslim & hate dogs or pigs.

It all started with just one malay person opening his mouth & making his own rules & everyone else followed. To be honest with you, I'm very ashamed to be a muslim becoz of all this. Wish I can change my religion but no, cannot.

true..i couldnt agree with you more..its like...duh,we as a muslim have to believe anything that r written in quran and hadith....but we must remember..only 40 hadith that is called hadith "sahih"..so if anyone told u that dog is haram, tell them its bullshit.....

animal lovers........

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 24, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #11 of 22 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.Alysa] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
thanks for this advice tasha!! Im actually 12 years old and yes i am a muslim. i owned a male GSD..my house was robbed and we bought him because of this purpose n because i was happy to get my first dog.

My grandmother found out and she kept on scolding my father for owning him.. she told us to get rid of it..luckily my tution teacher owned a GSD previously(died cause it was old) We offered her to take great care of Uno, she sid ok..until this day i miss my Uno.

I will never forget what my grandmother did Frown

owh..feel sorry to both of u dear.....hurm,its ok dear, maybe u and ur dad could do some more reasearch bout the status of dog in our religion,if you need my help,just let me noe...k? then after you both think that uguys r ready, u can at least slow talk with ur grandma.....i just dont noe y the elders tout they noe everything bout religion but actually they dont? i mean like do they do reaseach?ask "ulama" or sumthing? i dont think so......and sum of them even like kill dogs or throwing things at the animals......its not fair.....islam is againts everything that they do.....yeah, in islam owning a dog could be kinda "hardwork" coz u have 2 "samak" and all that but hey,that doesnt mean haram..rite? even to some scholar.....you dont have to samak.....we have to remember 1 thing..when our nabi is still alive....we cant own a dog coz of hygine purpose....they dont have deworms and such at that era, but now,things had change......so we r big enuff to think about it.....im only 20.....some ppl think that i have became a free thinker..they r wrong,im still a muslim,but im not a stupid 1......Wink

animal lovers........

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2007, 6:18 AM

Post #12 of 22 (1900 views)
Shortcut

oh so sorry about your dog. so do you have any dog now?
Shekel

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 25, 2007, 7:43 PM

Post #13 of 22 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shekel] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
oh so sorry about your dog. so do you have any dog now?

i dont think R.Alysa have a dog at the moment, ask for me, im still looking for a new dog......

animal lovers........

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2007, 12:01 AM

Post #14 of 22 (1880 views)
Shortcut

so what breeds that you are looking for?
Shekel

tasha_87
Novice

Nov 26, 2007, 12:09 AM

Post #15 of 22 (1875 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
so what breeds that you are looking for?

hurm,i would love to have 1 alaskan malamute, and 1 siberian husky......but yeah...if i couldnt find the 1 that i want,then mayb i would luv to adopt any types of dogs who r loyal,loving,gud house pet,i dont need a guard dog....

animal lovers........

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2007, 8:40 AM

Post #16 of 22 (1844 views)
Shortcut

wow high maintainance and very expensive dog wor...... all dogs are loyal and loving even a small breed dog can guard house. hope you find what you want.
Shekel

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 19, 2007, 8:58 PM

Post #17 of 22 (1733 views)
Shortcut

my small puppy is taking care of my house! if he hears someone touching the door lock (cliknk clank etc) he'll back to notify me or neighbour. although most of the time it's me BUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT

he's like my doorbell and "guard-dog-wannabe" Laugh

shekel
Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2007, 3:20 AM

Post #18 of 22 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

heheh cute... how old is your furkid?

looks very young
Shekel

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 21, 2007, 5:58 PM

Post #19 of 22 (1694 views)
Shortcut

4months old in another 2 days

(This post was edited by zephyros on Dec 21, 2007, 6:16 PM)

shekel
Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2007, 1:31 AM

Post #20 of 22 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] dogs in islam...read it so there will be no more missunderstanding... [In reply to] Can't Post

saw your face book. you name him vennus right? very cute. which part of s'pore you are staying?
Shekel

tasha_87
Novice

Jan 3, 2008, 1:34 AM

Post #21 of 22 (1588 views)
Shortcut

hye dear..huhuhuhu....

animal lovers........

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 3, 2008, 1:37 AM

Post #22 of 22 (1586 views)
Shortcut

lolololol Sly

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my