Need HELP on Pee Problems!!!

quinjuls
Novice

Nov 17, 2007, 4:08 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1814 views)
Shortcut
Need HELP on Pee Problems!!! Can't Post

Hi,

I am a very new owner here.I have my first dog a male shih tzu 1 years old.He likes to pee on sofas and beds..not only mine but my family beds as well...

i have tried cleaning it with febreez, detol sent it to the laundry...all fails..he still doing it..once awhile.. HElp me here as my family do not like pee on their beds!

the wierd thing is..normal days he pee and poo in his cage... why he he behaving like this??does he wants attention??

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Nov 19, 2007, 6:36 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [quinjuls] Need HELP on Pee Problems!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you did not train your dog well on house-breaking. It has to start young. When they are about 3-6 months old, you need to bring them to pee every 2 hours or so and always at the same place. Also, when you took them home the very first time, do not let them loose. Confine them to a smaller area to train them where they need to do their business - especially when you leave them in the home and not outside. Dettol and all the sort won't stop you dog from peeing on your sofa or your bed cause you may have started wrong by allowing your dog to roam too freely without constraints. Chrisong has a thread on training your dog to house-break and you may want to check it out. Be consistent and it takes effort to bring your dog regularly to pee at the same place cause I went thru it. It takes time and be sure - accidents will still happen. My dog is already 7 months and once a while, accidents still happen though I trained her to pee and poo at the litter box. She knows where to go but sometimes, she will still do it elsewhere. I will be firm and smack her if she is caught immediately after she does it. DO NOT punish a dog if you do not know when he/she did the accident cause they will be confused as to why you are smacking her/him. If you want to allow you dog to roam freely, you need to keep a close eye on their movements. See signs of peeing or pooing - normally they will start to sniff around and moves in circle. Another way is to see their backside swelling which is a sign of going to poo.

quinjuls
Novice

Nov 20, 2007, 3:18 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dowk2301] Need HELP on Pee Problems!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

So happy that u r the 1st one that reply me..heheSmile anywayy..about my baby..i did started potty train him when he was 2 weeks old... he oni stared peeing when i did not attend to him or i leave him for more than 6 hours at home..Unsure sad case la...

what did i did wrong? i started let him roam around in the house when he started to pee n poo in the cage..he was doing fine untill 8 months old...he pee on sofas when we let him out and was out of the house for more than 6 hours..now we dare not leave him alone for more than 6 hours in the house..otherwise sure teruk...and now i lock my room when i am in the living room working on my projects..u knw la when we r concentrating mana tahu must always keep an eye on his circling movements...headache la..Unsure when we lock our rooms he is fine woh...he will pee n poo in the cage..i always give him treats when he pee n poo in the cage and praise him...am i doing wrong ah?Pirate

bakamono
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2007, 9:43 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1757 views)
Shortcut

he is growing up n getting smarter now. It's just his messege to u that he needs yr attention more n he wants u to play more wz him. And also enough of cage. Keep up wz the encouragement whenever he does it right n eventually he'll behave.

boco

Nov 20, 2007, 10:00 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1755 views)
Shortcut

I guess the only thing you can do is to close all the bedrooms' doors to discourage your shihtzu from going inside.

Maybe your shihtzu don't like to be left alone for more than 6 hours.

quinjuls
Novice

Nov 21, 2007, 2:51 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] Need HELP on Pee Problems!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, i hope he will behave in age... i am so worried when i am out shopping..worried he will get mad at me or sad at one corner...Unsurebut thanks for ur advise ya..really appreciate ur words..heheSmile

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Nov 21, 2007, 10:26 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1724 views)
Shortcut

My Chi is 7 months old and to date, I don't allow her to roam around my place. When I am out, I used to put her in the cage but I felt it was confining her to a very small space. So, I put her our spare toilet which is dry and her litter box is there for her to do her business. At first, she has problem but after some time, she got used to it and she does all her business inside the box. The only problem is that when she poo in the litter box, she will not pee there until we clear the poo. Very clean one. But not a real problem. She is old enough to hold and by that time, we would have been back.

My Chi a bit special cause ever since I took her back, she has NEVER whined or cried at night. From day 1 when I took her back and when I turn off the lights at night, she will just go to sleep without any fuss. No problemo! Hardly hear her whine or cry one unless I'm at home and don't let her out. ONce she is out, sheis quiet. Very annoying is that she will follow everywhere I go. EVERYWHERE! Obedience is not an issue here for me. SHe is quite obedient except that sometime she still make accidents happen like peeing in forbidden area.

Your time will come and you need to let your dog knows who's boss. Punish when needed but not after a long time cuase they won't remember. The secret - timely and consistent. Control their movements until they learn well where they should do their business. Hope it helps.

quinjuls
Novice

Nov 22, 2007, 7:10 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dowk2301] Need HELP on Pee Problems!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

HI...

Well..I hope in time he will be have...sigh..thanks for your advice dear..i will keep an eye on him until he is well behave..

You are lucky to have a well obedient chi..mine its like a devil some times...he can jump up the dining table and even high post beds...makes me have headache...i never knew shih tzu can jump so high up??...sigh...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my