Australian Silky Terrier [Grooming]

kyels_k
Dog Kichi

Oct 24, 2007, 3:22 AM

Post #1 of 10 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Australian Silky Terrier [Grooming] Can't Post

Hi guys,

I know that threads with this specific title have been posted many, many times but I've been going through but cannot find the relevant information that I want about Silkys.

I have a pup and she is 10 weeks old and I'm wondering how to groom her ( I know the basic brushing with mini slickers and a metal comb ) but I'd like to know more; for example, when should she be sent for grooming services ( ie; getting her hair trimmed, nails cut, et cetera ).

So, if you guys have links, do post it up. Thanks and appreciated.

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace. (Milan Kundera)

(This post was edited by kyels_k on Oct 24, 2007, 3:23 AM)

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 8:55 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Australian Silky Terrier [Grooming] [In reply to] Can't Post

you can send your pup for grooming anytime, but best done after your pup gets all the shots. Better be safe than sorry. daily brushing is the most common one you can do. wipe the eyes if got tears. I usually clean my dog's ears after every bath, but if he scratches around the area i'll do more just to avoid ear mites.

Keep the nails nicely trimmed. if she's small you can use your own toe nail clipper instead of those for dogs as they are a little big, might dangerous. alternative, you can file ur dogs nails too.

as for the butt, keep it clean, if u see anything stuck there, clean it off.

also if you dare to do it, you need to pull the hair from inside the ear. do it slowly and carefully. you'll need to do this as it'll help prevent ear problems. My maltese used to have infection in the ear, and his ear stink really bad. vet gave medication but didn't help much. it just kept coming back. and it's NOT because of bath time(water getting into the ears, which should be avoided at ALL cost). read somewhere to pull the hair from inside the ears. helped and he has not have that problem ever since.

that's almost all that you would need to do i guess. as far as i can remember that's mostly what i do for mine as far as grooming goes. start young and make it enjoyable. or else when your pup grows up, she'll hate grooming time.

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 25, 2007, 4:05 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kyels_k] Australian Silky Terrier [Grooming] [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have the patient look at Silky Thread you will be able to find the info or you always can search at local & oversea Silky club for more info.

Never use Slicker brush on Silky coat. It will damage their hair.

Jac&Ning
Novice

Nov 2, 2007, 6:43 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Australian Silky Terrier [Grooming] [In reply to] Can't Post

hi zephyros,

how to clean their eyes? please teach me if u have time. One of my yorkies always has tear and cause tear stain as well. I realised that her hair always got into her eye so make her eyes watery. how to tackle this Please?

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 2, 2007, 6:53 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jac&Ning] Australian Silky Terrier [Grooming] [In reply to] Can't Post

Just cut away the hair poke into her eyes loh. You already know the hair cause the problem mahUnsure

Eye drop once a week after bath.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 2, 2007, 7:06 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1160 views)
Shortcut

hair getting in eyes hmm...what i did with my maltese is keep the hair either tied up, or trim those around the eyes. depends on what you're gonna do with your yorkie. if they are not going to be for show, trimming will usually help you with this problem. I know it has with my maltese, his face used to be so badly convered with tear stains. At first i thought was something else, till one day I looked closely and saw hairs in his eyes. You can gently get them used to you removing it for them, it's not that hard. Occasionally 1-2 strands will get its way into the eyes.

if your yorkies are for show then you'll need to tie the hair up. when they're long enough, you can tie all from the eyes with the rest of the head. but if not for show, then like mentioned above, I just trimmed the hair till appropriate length and it stays good. Looks cleaner and tidy too. that's for me. maybe other forum members have their secret lol

another friend of mine cleans their faces every morning and night. If it's hair problem then try the above. but i've also noticed less stain problems when i changed my maltese's food too. less "heaty". Used to have bad stains when he was eating, chicken and lamb. When switched him over to fish kibbles, his stains reduced a lot. Might be different with other dogs but just my 2cents. There are also medicine that you can mix into their water to help this but if I wouldn't add things into their system if you dont' have too :D

Hope this helps. GL if you need more help feel free to look me up at zephyros at (hot)mail.

Jac&Ning
Novice

Nov 2, 2007, 11:09 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1154 views)
Shortcut

thanks to chrisong and zephyros,

ok, but my intention is to keep her hair long enough so that i can comb them all back becoz Ning's hair is bushy one unlike Jac's one is more tidy type. Now her hair is still not full grown yet that's why bushy bushy and sometime gets into her eyes.

Another problem is her "eye-lashes" that get into it, could it be becos her eyes r watery oredi that's why the eye-lashes stick on her eye balls? should be uh.....

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 2, 2007, 11:23 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1150 views)
Shortcut

eye lashes ar....wah eh...hmm lol hard to comment but if the "eye lashes" looks more like out of place hair then just snip it lol can't really do much about those already. but how are the eye lashes poking the eye it twists around and back into the eye or something? maybe u can take a picture and we can help out easier that way. but if you're really sure u wanna tie the hair back, then you'll have to bear with the temporary problem. maybe you can try to tie whatever hair your yorkie has now. OR use hair spray Laugh

Jac&Ning
Novice

Nov 2, 2007, 11:46 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Laugh i'll gel her hair up using GATSBY hahaha so that she can claps her hair when she's happy haha

the eye-lashes turn back and stick on eye ball, i get that sometime eventhough my eye-lashes r not long hehe

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 2, 2007, 11:48 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1144 views)
Shortcut

try mascare

JKJKJK

well if it's that bad, then you might need to trim it a little or those that will poke her eyes only. but do have two people doing this since it's still a pup. might wiggle and u poke her eyes

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my