Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
my dogs always digging floor or sofa.... bitting newspaper when nobody at home!!! WHY?? need help...

JustineBiBi

Oct 20, 2007, 10:42 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2926 views)
Shortcut
my dogs always digging floor or sofa.... bitting newspaper when nobody at home!!! WHY?? need help... Can't Post

my MS always digging when letting him go into the crate... wondering what this mean? he'll not keep barking but digging... but, of coz sometimes he'll barks (wanna to come out from the crate)... anybody got this experience b4? the digging sound really makes me angry!!!

as for my ST, he'll digging on the sofa or my bed whenever after his meal... i dunno what this means also?!!! hav been trying to stop him to do this, but still keeps on ding this after meal.

secondly, my 2 dogs usually will left at home during working hours. ST ("lao da") is giving freely roam at home. but MS ("lao er") is in the crate. i separate them as i m afraid they'll fight with each other when no one at home observing the behaviour. ST, is more quiet n behave as he use to be alone during working hours. he'll not destroy the things in the house, not even tearing the newspaper that i've prepared for him as his toilet.

but, MS.... huh... i decide to get him into the crate because... i got the bad experience once or twice previously when trying to let him stay with ST freely roaming in the house. oh my god.... !!! he tears the newspaper (toilet)... is it because Separation Anxiety? he tears the newspaper n mess up the living with the newspaper.... he's giving to freely roam at the house when i m home till the next working day. but, with my existence, he'll not tear the newspaper... Y? Y? Y?

anybody can help me????

simweiken
Novice

Oct 23, 2007, 10:49 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JustineBiBi] my dogs always digging floor or sofa.... bitting newspaper when nobody at home!!! WHY?? need help... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi justine..Ken here..For ur MS right..Maybe its because u never introduce the crate to him..thats why he keep digging..Maybe onli..hehex..U shld put lure him inside with his lunch or dinner..Put the bowl inside the crate..let him eat inside..dun lock the door..do it for 1 or 2 day..den lock up the door afterthat..But when he start whining..Let him out of the crate asap..Den next time when playing wif him..Throw his treat inside the crate..Generally..He will like the crate..den u can close it..The crate..size must not be too big or too small for ur MS..Cos if its too big..they'll wanna eliminate on the other side of the crate..If its the right size..they dun..Cos dog dun poo on their slping area..And crate will let him control their bladder longer..Of cos..Letting them out to pee/poo is ur responsible also..Good luck..

JustineBiBi

Oct 24, 2007, 6:19 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simweiken] my dogs always digging floor or sofa.... bitting newspaper when nobody at home!!! WHY?? need help... [In reply to] Can't Post

actually, my MS use to be in the crate in the daytime whenever nobody at home.he'll be very "guai" if let him in the crate in the daytime, he'll be very quiet. but, whenever we at home, especially time for meal, he'll go into the crate himself (then i'll close the door) then, he'll start digging in the crate n push his bowl here n there. sometimes, makes the food inside the bowl all over the crate.

his crate is just nice for him to sleep inside. so, i m not worry he'll "do his business" inside the crate. if he's in the crate when we r not at home for the whole day... he can "tahan" his pee the whole day till we at home. even now, if i at home the whole day, he'll not pee at all in the daytime. i noticed, he'll pee in the evening or midnight, one time pee all the urine for the day... this makes me very geram of him!!! coz, i use to put the pee pad for him (coz he n my ST will step on the urine everytime after peeing). according to my friends, they use 1 pc of pee pad per day for they small breed dogs. for my MS, he used up 1 pc per time!!! huh....

bakamono
Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007, 4:20 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JustineBiBi] my dogs always digging floor or sofa.... bitting newspaper when nobody at home!!! WHY?? need help... [In reply to] Can't Post

try putting a piece of tower floor mat inside the crate b4 letting him in. Both my girls do the same thing. From what I read, most gundog will dig the place up before they lay onto it to make it more comfy but my TS has also follow the trend as well. Not in the crate only but also b4 they lay down on the marble floor in the living room as well.

As for the newspaper thing, they will grow out of it in later stage. In the begining whenever I come home from work, 3 of my girls will scread newspaper all over the living room floor and yet they gave me the innocent look like "we were good girls, we did not do anything bad?" Try to put him into a playpen instead and on top of the pee pad, put a plastic mat, one of those we use for toilet floors and it comes in pieces for you to adjust the size. It will weigh down the pee pad or newspaper n he can still smell it. It's one of their fun thing to do and they seems to enjoy the sound of paper tearing.

For the food, my TS has at one time suddenly refused her regular kibbies (Eukanuba) and a breeder taught me to start on Royal Canine for TS. Have notice it's not sales gimmic bcoz she has difficulty in bitting and she used to can't hold the kibbies in the mouth properly. So she's like playing wz her food most of the time with the food dropping from her mouth. After a while she'll just give up and refuse to eat. It seems it's the bite size that is causing the difficulty. No harm in trying it out and good luch to u.

JustineBiBi

Oct 25, 2007, 1:38 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] my dogs always digging floor or sofa.... bitting newspaper when nobody at home!!! WHY?? need help... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for the newspaper thing, they will grow out of it in later stage. In the begining whenever I come home from work, 3 of my girls will scread newspaper all over the living room floor and yet they gave me the innocent look like "we were good girls, we did not do anything bad?" Try to put him into a playpen instead and on top of the pee pad, put a plastic mat, one of those we use for toilet floors and it comes in pieces for you to adjust the size. It will weigh down the pee pad or newspaper n he can still smell it. It's one of their fun thing to do and they seems to enjoy the sound of paper tearing. For the food, my TS has at one time suddenly refused her regular kibbies (Eukanuba) and a breeder taught me to start on Royal Canine for TS. Have notice it's not sales gimmic bcoz she has difficulty in bitting and she used to can't hold the kibbies in the mouth properly. So she's like playing wz her food most of the time with the food dropping from her mouth. After a while she'll just give up and refuse to eat. It seems it's the bite size that is causing the difficulty. No harm in trying it out and good luch to u.

I've tried to put the plastic matt on the newspaper before I use the pee pad for them. But, they refused to pee on top of the plastic matt. They pee on the floor... huh!!! But, when I put the pee pad for them, they'll and willing to pee on the pee pad. Below the pee pad, I put the newspaper (because previously they used to pee and poo on the newspaper). So, they know where they should go to pee and poo. But, sometimes they'll accidentally pee on the floor and step on the urine or poo beside the pee pad. As for the bitting newspaper/ newspaper tearing, it is only happen when I am not at home (by the MS). Just wondering is it because Separation Anxiety??? My MS, when it is time for the meal, he'll go into the crate and waiting for me to bring over his bowl. He'll finish his food given to him, but only after he pushes the bowl... all the kibbles fall over in the crate, then he'll eat. Previously, he was not like that. Even though I change the bowl to a heavier bowl, he's able to make the kibbles fall over in the crate also... As for my ST, he seldom will eat the food given immediately. He'll roam around the house, playing run and catch if I keep calling him to go into his crate to have his meal... After I know his pattern, then I just put the bowl in the crate, and just ignore him. (I'll give him sometime to have his meal) After that, I'll keep the food even he's not eating. Sometimes, he'll wait the MS to come out and he'll go in to the MS crate immediately to eat all his food if MS not finish up his food... huh...

bakamono
Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2007, 5:12 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2799 views)
Shortcut

there will be many 'accidents' until maybe around 6 to 12 months later when they understand what they r suppose n not suppose to do. As for the food, 'the grass over the fence is always greener' also applies to them. In the beginning I need to monitor them at meal time bcoz of the above but now they r better by watching afar at other's bowl but not going near it anymore. Be patience, I'm sure in a year time, you'll be able to give advice to others through your own experiences. Another thing to add, each n everyone of them will have different character so it's difficult to judge what is the norm and what is not.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my